Nocturnal ‘IRRATIONAL THINKING” Keeping you UP? What’s YOUR Podcast Solution?

My Dearest Fellow-Existential-Thinking Insomniacs,

Most people, for whatever reason, and even though they may not have a sleeping disorder, occasionally experience a night or two when they fail to drift off rapidly and calmly into the Land of Nod.

We know that medication is no solution.

Nobody likes waking up hungover, especially in Thailand.

Some of you may have tried other solutions, such as a pint of rum, or a soapy massage, just before bedtime. But have you considered the cost of a soapy massage every night? And, what of the potential health consequences if that waif in the tub is not as clean as all those bubbles might suggest?

I am convinced that the best solution for almost anyone who fails to fall asleep within ten minutes or so is…Podcast Listening.

You would be surprised just how calming this can be, just to lie (lay) there on your back, in bed, with nothing but the hum of the AC, the blinking green lights from your router, maybe a faint barking in the distance, and your favorite Podcast playing on the smartphone resting atop your bedside table.

There are now thousands of podcasts to choose from, just as there are many apps for your phone to play them.

So what is your favorite podcast app?

And, what is your “go-to podcast” most effective for delivering you up to the Land of Nod?

Of course we would not choose anything TOO exciting.

And, we also would not choose a podcast without a VERY LONG list of episodes from the producers of the podcast.

Personally, I like to use Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/ 

And, in most cases, I choose one of two podcasts:

Darknet Diaries

fxcUEzpElJ3-dkVLDIrzw_8ZZaqwVx6RZlPW737kq92fPkx02v_2-3iR19h5Freq8scEZ9qbeO09zFVcaz695WCYCThERxWt7uejzswb5mP_9X9TP4Z5qLUAYWCrbmJPejdw5SbWwZkMuP80NpbT7Gg

Stuff You Should Know

H-vf7yR_xVs34a7Xr3Z2fS3CYTr7OYf5PA0fssimfSwikly9_TO3R94qu6jWJzERiWBdWZpOHC024HWxk1AX5OuyFbOyvAA_Ggydcmz5vguInHCxmtzn7a21rIUbIt21XJVBsoIm5dClCCH2n4CLvQk

Why these two?

Together, just these two selections offer a total of over 2000 episodes. I don’t need to spend time at night searching for any other podcasts when I want to get to sleep fast.

Neither podcast subjects the listener to annoying young women laughing and cackling, or uptalking. And neither are interesting enough to hold one’s attention for long. Both, though, are well produced. 

You might try THIS one, FIRST:

1o7vTZirHpJorZXQwhWpQr7aG2FQbiawmCGL7V2nSUcmSMyaHub0DA7MWG7HsZ5zN6X6jzUh8mqQRG2BMwxIVe7Vt42XMxxX3eCFMzMId_73fKr4Y0ha34k-Cl-vOd0T3BvGNnZEr8xYJNfpm67GjC0

You know,...I really worry about some members on this forum.

Many of you are posting comments at ALL hours of the day and night.

Extremely strange, IMHO.

And….

I hope this helps at least one of you.

Best regards, and,

Nighty-Nighty…

Gamma G.

Note:  I forgot to ask...  Do you have bedbugs?

• Love It 1

I get some sleep during the day, reading posts of yours.

At night, I focus on pleasant fantasies. It does not matter if I don't sleep then, although I mostly do.

No, I do not have bedbugs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I get some sleep during the day, reading posts of yours.

At night, I focus on pleasant fantasies. It does not matter if I don't sleep then, although I mostly do.

No, I do not have bedbugs.

So if you sleep during the day, (just an idle question), then when do you play golf...at night?

image.png.1e91214c2bb8db074f28e57d3bf3f1b9.png

I never thought I'd live to see the day.  (I hope you are enjoying this play on words.)

Oh, wait... Now we got two plays on words..

Now three!

Will it never end?

(Is this also an example of recursiveness....do you think?)

Should be much cooler playing golf at night, though...

(This course has some fantastic LIGHT BULBS, by the way.  I wonder if they are made by Panasonic...?)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

26 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So if you sleep during the day, (just an idle question), then when do you play golf...at night?

I never thought I'd live to see the day.  (I hope you are enjoying this play on words.)

Now three!

Will it never end?

(This course has some fantastic LIGHT BULBS, by the way.  I wonder if they are made by Panasonic...?)

I imagine I am walking round my course, and rarely reach the 19th hole. 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Now three!

Will it never end?

I hit off at break of day, when it is cool.

After the round, I return home. Usually I have one or more of your prolix posts to assist me into a nice nap in my office chair, after logging in.

One of the advantages of being proficient at golf is nubile females are happy to play with me, or caddy for me. Sometimes the play involves instruction at close quarters, a very pleasant way to interrupt the walk.

I have tried night golf, did not see any women venturing out.

The odd whisky or six late at night guarantees that I normally have trouble staying awake, not sleeping. However, I don't go to bed if someone in the area is playing bass-heavy music or dogs are barking persistently, two things I can count on to stop me nodding off.

3 hours ago, bignok said:

I spend 3 hours looking at maps

Do you mean maps or nautical charts?

image.png.ffec3902605a3b57f0a1c2298c6f9fba.png

This is just an example of the kind of "existential thoughts" that one might dwell upon before being unable to Nod Off...

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you mean maps or nautical charts?

image.png.ffec3902605a3b57f0a1c2298c6f9fba.png

This is just an example of the kind of "existential thoughts" that one might dwell upon before being unable to Nod Off...

I enjoy reading maps. 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, bignok said:

I enjoy reading maps. 

What's the most stunning map, and the most expensive map, you have ever seen, and have ever owned. 

Do you have maps framed on your walls? 

These days, it's becoming more difficult to find large printed maps of high quality. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

I enjoy reading maps. 

HERE is a MAP!

I would dearly love to own this one!!!

in-high-resolution-detailed-physical-map

I want to buy it an hang it on my wall.

image.png.cc5bd6899c3d40befc59463af8dd7df7.png

OR...Does anybody know of a Map Printer in Chiang Mai? 

(SUPER High Resolution, and 7-Color printing shop might be able to do this map justice)

There are great printing factories in China that could do it at fairly low cost.

But, does anybody know how BIG this might be if I had it printed FULL SIZE?

Just another issue that, undoubtedly, will keep me up this evening, if my scabies don't.

And, YES, I LOVE map reading....TOO!!!!!!

(correction:  I just checked the file size on this map...NOT big enough for a large wall.  What you need is a file size of about 250 MBytes....)

This site, mapsland, looks good for maps. Still, there must be a better site out there, someplace...  https://www.mapsland.com/asia/china

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

Concerning the 7-Color Printing process for things like maps which require more colors...

Besides MAPS, I also am interested in the printing business, same as Franklin from Philly.

The 7-color process is OK, but not the best:

https://ccs-fabricframe.de/en/blogs/ccs-info/what-is-7-color-printing

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I imagine I am walking round my course, and rarely reach the 19th hole. 

This is actually one of the most effective solutions that I had never contemplated. 

I can still recall a course I last played 50 years ago. Will give it a try, but for amusement, and not as an aphrodisiac... 

And not as a soporific. 

Just for fun. 

• Love It 1