Can you have your uk pension paid into Wise

19 hours ago, PREM-R said:

From the content of your posts in this thread I think you do not currently have a Wise account.  If there is a danger that your present UK bank will 'shut you down' it may be worth getting a Wise account now.  As I understand it, to open an account with Wise you need to deposit a small amount of money from an account in your name, not a third party, which may prove difficult if your UK bank account is closed to you at short notice.

I am not sure about the amount needed, I think about 20 GB pounds, but as I opened my Wise account a long time ago and the deposit was not required at that time, I am not fully 'up to speed' on what is required now.

Better to be prepared for the worst case scenario!

Thanks for your helpful post. I do have a Wise account but i only currently use it for my monthly transfers and i have never explored its capabilities, i find it rather confusing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, PREM-R said:

with Wise you need to deposit a small amount of money from an account in your name, not a third party, which may prove difficult if your UK bank account is closed to you at short notice.

"...which may prove difficult if your UK bank account is closed..."

Not at all.  If he's told that his account is being closed the bank will ask him where he wants the balance transferring.  You don't think that his bank will keep his money and not allow it to be sent elsewhere, do you?

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pensioners doing that do receive the increases.

Surely only if they are able to confirm they are also resident in the UK.

Some years ago l stopped having my pensions paid to my Thai bank and reverted to my UK bank, I was specifically asked if l was now resident in the UK, which l wasn’t.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:40 AM, poppysdad said:

But Transam is it the same for private pensions as well plus I’d rather be in control  of when my money comes in as don’t always need it every 4 weeks. But if it does simplify everything then as a last resort I’ll go down that route. 

I have a private pension from a company that I used to work for in the UK. Has paid each month since the age of 50

The pension is transferred to my Thai bank account monthly using swift code

41 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Some years ago l stopped having my pensions paid to my Thai bank and reverted to my UK bank, I was specifically asked if l was now resident in the UK, which l wasn’t.

Did you have to provide any proof that you are a resident in UK ?    

On 8/11/2023 at 7:25 AM, sometime said:

Slightly off the subject, has anyone had their UK state pension paid into a Thai bank then a few years later had it paid into their UK bank & received the pension increases

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pensioners doing that do receive the increases.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, they have to be UK resident.

But the guy you’ve responded hasn’t mentioned that he might be in the UK, in fact he’s posting from Thailand.

I was clarifying your answer that if he had his pension paid into a UK account he would receive the uplift, obviously it’s not automatic, and certainly not on what he said.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bondjames007 said:

Did you have to provide any proof that you are a resident in UK ?    

No, as I mentioned, l wasn’t resident in the UK.

l just had my pensions paid into my UK based account, and transferred what l needed as and when.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, sometime said:

Slightly off the subject, has anyone had their UK state pension paid into a Thai bank then a few years later had it paid into their UK bank & received the pension increases

I should have said I also have property in the UK that my daughter is looking after, so my UK bank account is legit

3 hours ago, PREM-R said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...which may prove difficult if your UK bank account is closed..."

Not at all.  If he's told that his account is being closed the bank will ask him where he wants the balance transferring.  You don't think that his bank will keep his money and not allow it to be sent elsewhere, do you?

I was just trying to be helpful to the OP, what is your motivation?

You were giving him false information, I gave him accurate information, that was my motivation.  You see something wrong with that?

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, they have to be UK resident.

But the guy you’ve responded hasn’t mentioned that he might be in the UK, in fact he’s posting from Thailand.

That has no relevance to the specific question that I answered, read his question and my response. 

• Like 1

Yes.  Wise don't issue debit cards for their Thailand-opened accounts, though.

Yes.  Wise don't issue debit cards for their Thailand-opened accounts, though.

Thanks Liverpool lou

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Any feedback on how the wise debit card can be used in Thailand appreciated.

can it be used like any other credit/debit card everywhere ?

can one draw THB from ATM's of any bank ? if yes is there a fee on the withdrawl with the Wise debit card (that is green card I think ? )

Thanks

Here is a list of ATM fees in Thailand, valid as of May 2023

2018192658_wiseatm.jpg.37fed569c799d1b751eaca774819d040.jpg

I believe the Wise card is a debit card only.

Edited by nahkit

On 8/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, Madgee said:

AFAIK,
You cannot get any pension, state or private, paid directly in to a Wise Acct.
Retiring Abroad: The Implications For Your Pension - Wise

Tell me please where I can find that stated in the document you appended.

Also did you note how old the guide is, September 2015, and it hasn't been updated in more than a year.

On 8/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, scubascuba3 said:

You didn't tell them you live in Thailand?

Santander recently closed my bank account with no explanation it happened after they had called me on my Thai mobile I explained I was a U.K. taxpayer they asked me about other U.K. banks I was with as well as other investments I told them it was none of there business I d been with the bank 10 years and although I had a good amount in the bank none of my pensions were paid in to it it appears Santander wants it’s customers to commit 100% to it bank and no other bank but one thing I’ve learnt is you never keep your eggs in one basket 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:25 AM, sometime said:

2 hours ago, sometime said:

I should have said I also have property in the UK that my daughter is looking after, so my UK bank account is legit

Maintaining a UK bank account, and having a pension paid into it, will not in itself mean that you will receive the annual increases, and neither will the fact that you own property in the UK, you actually have to declare to the DWP that you are ordinarily resident in the UK.

Many people lie and claim they’re ordinarily resident, some use friends or families addresses whilst others use the address of a property they own but don’t live in, l suspect that most, if not all, get away with it.

l am aware that the DWP have taken to checking Council Tax records and Credit Agencies, I’ve no idea if that’s making any difference to the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Santander recently closed my bank account with no explanation it happened after they had called me on my Thai mobile I explained I was a U.K. taxpayer they asked me about other U.K. banks I was with as well as other investments I told them it was none of there business I d been with the bank 10 years and although I had a good amount in the bank none of my pensions were paid in to it it appears Santander wants it’s customers to commit 100% to it bank and no other bank but one thing I’ve learnt is you never keep your eggs in one basket 

The issues there mainly are a Thai number, why did you need to talk to them? best avoided. Also being difficult on the phone won't go down well when that person has to advise or decide whether to close the account. 

You can add that your account was closed to Nigel Farages campaign

https://www.accountclosed.org/

Edited by scubascuba3

On 8/11/2023 at 12:00 PM, poppysdad said:

Ok everybody and thanks for the replies, if I get the bad news then seems I can get my pensions direct to my Bangkok Bank or via Wise. I’d prefer Wise as I can then control when it comes into Thailand but is it the easiest route to set up from here and like on the very odd occasion I have to pay a uk bill can I do that from my Bangkok Bank account or does that become easier with my money deposited at Wise. 
Many years of trouble free banking and now well into my 70’s, and not in the best of health I get some aggro, hopefully most of my marbles are still in good order to get it all sorted. 

You might have missed @sammieuk1

But you could always open a GBP account with your Bank & have your pensions sent there, then convert it to THB when you need it/FX rates are good. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, Madgee said:

AFAIK,
You cannot get any pension, state or private, paid directly in to a Wise Acct.
Retiring Abroad: The Implications For Your Pension - Wise

That Wise article was written 8 years ago before Wise started offering “Bank” accounts & Debit cards hence the number of posts saying that their pensions are paid directly into their Wise account. 

Another question that comes up is whether you can pay funds into your UK Stockbroker account from Wise, I don’t see why not but haven’t had chance to check it out yet… Anybody Know for sure? 

If you are claiming to live in the UK with a UK bank and don't then it is fraud. Banks and other agencies have access to databases of all kinds to find if u are listed eg. electoral registers, censuses, etc etc. A simple search will tell them if u are missing from those by living abroad and they are legally bound to investigate if they suspect u are fraudulent due to money laundering laws.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Card said:

If you are claiming to live in the UK with a UK bank and don't then it is fraud. Banks and other agencies have access to databases of all kinds to find if u are listed eg. electoral registers, censuses, etc etc. A simple search will tell them if u are missing from those by living abroad and they are legally bound to investigate if they suspect u are fraudulent due to money laundering laws.

BS!

You have got so much wrong there that I do not know where to start!

It is very easy to maintain a "presence" in the UK especially if you have any family still living there!

Even if you have no family left in the UK as long  as you planned ahead before retiring here you can easily set up and maintain a UK footprint including UK Addresses, phone numbers, electoral roll etc!

Edited by scottiejohn

11 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

BS!

You have got so much wrong there that I do not know where to start!

It is very easy to maintain a "presence" in the UK especially if you have any family still living there!

Even if you have no family left in the UK as long  as you planned ahead before retiring here you can easily set up and maintain a UK footprint including UK Addresses, phone numbers, electoral roll etc!

If u don't live in the UK for 180 days per year then you become a non resident, making claims of residential status illegal, irrespective of how you can spin it to appear otherwise. If you get your family involved in that illegality then they are also committing fraud on your behalf.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1