Bunuel

LaosLover

-Inspired by JerryMahoney's Bunuel reference in the RIP Robbie Robertson thread.

Any faves? I like Discrete Charm and Belle Du Jour, of course. The Mex stuff is a little dark for me. His kid's film of Robinson Crusoe was great.

There was a store in Vientiane that used to sell his box set for $50. And many copies of Diary of a Chambermaid, for some reason.

Also: Where would you have seen art film back in the day? What was the cinema like?

I remember

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Did you ever see a foreign film in a small cinema in Australia?

I remember the Russian film of 1959, "Destiny of a Man". It had other titles, such as "A Man's Fate". A haunting film.

Another foreign film, IMO very funny, was "Mon Oncle Benjamin" with Jacques Brel. "Raise the Red Lantern" was a Chinese film, starring Gong Li.

Strictly speaking, most films in Australia are foreign, not many are produced locally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackshadow said:

whats this supposed to be about ???????????????

Do you like low budget art film and foreign films?

Have you seen any by a man name Bunuel?

But as long as you're here, what's your favorite Oasis song?

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Do you like low budget art film and foreign films?

Have you seen any by a man name Bunuel?

But as long as you're here, what's your favorite Oasis song?

You are far too cultured for the Chang drinkers on here. A topic about singlets would suit.

The hilarious scene in Belle du Jour where Pierre Clémenti, who is not exactly what you would call a handsome man, meets and rejects Catherine Deneuve has stuck in my mind for 50+ years (just before the two minute mark in this short clip).    Clémenti's persona seems oddly reminiscent of some of the more prolific posters on this site.

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Did you ever see a foreign film in a small cinema in Australia?

know your audience friend ... read the room ...  ????

best to keep it to bargirls and burger threads and of course the anti woke disgruntled grandpas

as for me the classic Rochelle Rochelle..a sordid tale of a journey from Milan to Minsk! Bravo!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

European cinema is fine but my passion is classic Japanese cinema. I have 214 and have 20 or so still to watch. I'm also fond of Chinese and Viet film. 

If you ever go to Vientiane, they have a lot of art film dvd's in the Talat, including a ton of old Japanese stuff. I found Drunken Angel there, last seen in 1974 (as a midnight show in Greenwich Village).

Mountain of the Dead is another epic one I got for a buck. It's also called The Ballard of Naryama.

Do you know the Hong Kong film called The Boat People (about The Boat People)?

Edited by LaosLover

Good memories going to the Valhalla theatre in Melbourne. They would put out a poster each three months and student houses would have it on the wall. The 80's. 

The usual foreign films like Belle du Jour, Breathless, La Dolce Vita.

Fun movies like John Waters Polyester, with a scratch and sniff card so you could watch in Odorama,  and David Lynch's Eraserhead,   and the Russ Myers movies such as Beyond the Valley of the Dolls were fun. 

Then there would be the worst movies of all time like Plan 9 from Outer Space. 

The 80's.

Here is a cool Melbourne cinema. Different colours but here's pink. A good Melbourne citizen returns: The Capitol | ArchitectureAU

I lived around the corner from a nice art house cinema for 15 years till I met my Thai wife and we moved to the hills. Nicer than the picture. 

Photo

I'm going to Melbourne in March and will def try to see a film in that pink theatre.

Other great midnight films: The Harder They Come, Rocky Horror, El Topo (tho Holy Mountain was nuttier).

Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones 70's pay per view with a bigger sound system was another all nighter. Beneath The Valley of The UltraVixens was the most over the top Russ Myers film, but I also feel due for a re-viewing of Myra Breckinridge or Caligula. Baltimore still has midnight movies.