Fathers will in Thailand

My father and I live in Thailand.

He has to keep 800k in his bank account at all times.

He is worried when he snuffs it the Thai government will take it.

He already has a will in the UK saying how the estate is broken up between his kids etc.

We were advised to get a second will which works in Thailand.

What happens after he snuffs it? What happens to the money? Would a will in the UK allow the executor to get the money out of a Thai account into the estate in UK somehow?

Or would a Thai will be needed? Could the Thai will conflict with the UK will.

UK will just says everything is divided up and doesnt mention anything about Thailand at all.

Dad gave me a second debit card  so I can withdraw the funds after he passes, but it occurred to me that is probably not legal - although the bank was happy to give him a second ATM card.

Finally has anyone got any suggestions on a lawyer to do the will here in Thailand?

Edited by CrossBones

Can't advise on BKK lawyers I'm afraid, the ones we used in CM seem pretty good (so far) 

I would urge your father to make a will here as even if the UK one mentioned assets in Thailand I'm pretty sure it won't be legal.

I BELIEVE (and you need to get verified by the bank) that you can stipulate that on the production of a death certificate the wills beneficiaries can access the funds (again the importance of a THAI will)

It is best to have a will in every country whrre there are assets.

Sk yes, nake a Thai will and I'd suggest to keep it as simple as possible e.g. just 1 heir if possible.

AFAIK there is no way to designate who will get the money after death on a  Thai bank account. 

1 hour ago, CrossBones said:

My father and I live in Thailand.

He has to keep 800k in his bank account at all times.

He is worried when he snuffs it the Thai government will take it.

He already has a will in the UK saying how the estate is broken up between his kids etc.

We were advised to get a second will which works in Thailand.

What happens after he snuffs it? What happens to the money? Would a will in the UK allow the executor to get the money out of a Thai account into the estate in UK somehow?

Or would a Thai will be needed? Could the Thai will conflict with the UK will.

UK will just says everything is divided up and doesnt mention anything about Thailand at all.

Dad gave me a second debit card  so I can withdraw the funds after he passes, but it occurred to me that is probably not legal - although the bank was happy to give him a second ATM card.

Finally has anyone got any suggestions on a lawyer to do the will here in Thailand?

It may be illegal if someone contested it but not sure how they would know otherwise. If the death is imminent than I would say withdraw it before the final days as it won't be needed for future extensions and then its not an issue