British Tourist Calls for Help after Boat Captain Falls Unconscious in Phang Nga Sea

webfact

5 minutes ago, ravip said:

And you say anyone without experience or training can steer a boat? 

depends on the boat

on its condition

and on how cold blooded and intuitive the person is.

how long is a piece of string ?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Using a motor like this?

Longtail Mud Motors. Authentic Thai Longtails

it looks unusual, but there are really only two things to figure out:

- how to control the speed

- how to make the thing pivot

once the exploration and experiment phase for that is done (5 - 10 mins), then it should be possible to steer the boat.

• Confused 1

Just now, tgw said:

depends on the boat

on its condition

and on how cold blooded and intuitive the person is.

how long is a piece of string ?

???? should first try a toy remote controlled boat in a bath tub first. 

Then try it in a pond on a windy day and try to stop it at a predefined place accurately. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

it looks unusual, but there are really only two things to figure out:

- how to control the speed

- how to make the thing pivot

once the exploration and experiment phase for that is done (5 - 10 mins), then it should be possible to steer the boat.

This is the type of motor used and it is manual control of depth in water as well as turning and speed.  Most people would not have a clue how to even start it much less use in middle of ocean.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ravip said:

???? should first try a toy remote controlled boat in a bath tub first. 

Then try it in a pond on a windy day and try to stop it at a predefined place accurately. 

lol, if you need that kind of "training" then go ahead !

I admit when I I went on my dad's fishing boat, around Brest, Le Conquet, Ouessant, the conditions didn't require any skill. No wind, no currents, never any waves, no rocks... the area is well known for smooth sailing in nice weather.

Edited by tgw

Just now, lopburi3 said:

This is the type of motor used and it is manual control of depth in water as well as turning and speed.  Most people would not have a clue how to even start it much less use in middle of ocean.  

yes, I don't dispute that.

I said it depends on how intuitive a person is. The question was "would it be possible without training" - I say the answer is yes, I don't say everyone could do it.

• Confused 1

Just now, tgw said:

yes, I don't dispute that.

I said it depends on how intuitive a person is. The question was "would it be possible without training" - I say the answer is yes, I don't say everyone could do it.

What I posted was a small engine - likely his boat had a much larger truck type engine mounted on that control stick - not many without experience would have much luck in my opinion - believe his calling for help was the prudent step - especially as he was now responsible for another's life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

What I posted was a small engine - likely his boat had a much larger truck type engine mounted on that control stick - not many without experience would have much luck in my opinion - believe his calling for help was the prudent step - especially as he was now responsible for another's life.

yes, absolutely correct, it was the prudent step.
which doesn't mean it would have been impossible to steer the boat.

Edited by tgw
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

And you say anyone without experience or training can steer a boat? 

Well it is a lot easier than a car if you are out at sea, you have lots of room to manoeuvrer and spend time messing about to work out how things work.

But, the bloke did the right thing calling for help, he would have time to mess about with the craft, just in case the BiB left it till the next day..........????

• Sad 1

People are so ignorant. If you don't receive permission or authority to take control of a boat and you crash it, you are responsible for everything. I Mean Everything! Call the authorities and wait. People need to understand the aspects of maritime law

• Haha 1

Just now, Mintyy said:

People are so ignorant. If you don't receive permission or authority to take control of a boat and you crash it, you are responsible for everything. I Mean Everything! Call the authorities and wait. People need to understand the aspects of maritime law

Does that work for aeroplanes too.........................????

2 hours ago, Mintyy said:

On social media, there are millions of experts in every field.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Does that work for aeroplanes too.........................????

Why not?

I won't be surprised if someone says brain surgery too can be performed with a couple of minutes practice  - how about sending a rocket to the moon? Simple.

• Confused 1