Public support for new Brexit referendum revealed

Social Media

1 hour ago, candide said:

It seems you have no idea of how polling organisations are working and/or you don't like the result so you criticize it.

These organisations have long-tested procedures to ensure that results are reliable (at the time they conduct the survey). Of course, inside a margin of error they calculate and indicate.

Two hints for you:

- In the document linked by JonnyF, they have calculated the weighted sample, it means they have corrected the weight of the different categories to make sure it reflects the composition of the UK population. So no "chose the demographics" B.S.

- as concerns YouGov, they have used the same methodology over several years, and they were showing a stronger support for Brexit at different periods of time. So when they were showing stronger support for Brexit, they were also wrong?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/07/18/britons-would-vote-rejoin-eu

As far as I am concerned the only poll that is valid and counts is the one that involves a person ticking a box on a ballot paper

I see yougov usa recently published a poll that stated

41% of registered voters say they would vote for Biden and 41% would vote for Trump.

I find that hard to believe but the poll is out there on the internet

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Balderdash. YouGov are renowned in the UK for achieving the result that whoever is paying wants.

As for the result, it means nothing to me whatsoever, and is completely  meaningless. Brexit happened 7 years ago, and a referendum on rejoining will not happen, however many tiresome polls like this are commissioned.

It just gets recycled periodically by a few bedwetters that can’t accept a democratic vote that did not produce the result they wanted.

Your reply confirms what I wrote in my post.

55 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

As far as I am concerned the only poll that is valid and counts is the one that involves a person ticking a box on a ballot paper

41% of registered voters say they would vote for Biden and 41% would vote for Trump.

And?

It's within the margin of error of what other polls are showing. For example,  the aggregation of different polls shows:

43.7% for Biden

44.1% for Trump

0.4% difference between the two, which has a low statistical significance

https://www.racetothewh.com/president/polls#google_vignette

Edit. What is your source? It seems there is no recent YouGov poll with the results you mentioned

Edited by candide

40 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And yet only yesterday you were using polling numbers in your arguments here in this thread:

On 9/17/2023 at 10:44 AM, vinny41 said:

Yet 73% of leave voters would still vote leave

The results show that one in six Leave voters (18%) now say that they would vote to Remain were the EU referendum being held now. Almost three quarters (73%) say they would still vote to leave the EU.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/07/18/britons-would-vote-rejoin-eu

what are we to make of this about face?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And yet only yesterday you were using polling numbers in your arguments here in this thread:

what are we to make of this about face?

Just because I posted poll numbers doesn't indicate that I believe them 

You regular post twaddle about Brexit support on the decline yet we both know 

there hasn't been a public vote on Brexit since 23rd June 2016 so we can take all your posts about Brexit with a pinch of salt as they are meaningless

1 hour ago, candide said:

And?

It's within the margin of error of what other polls are showing. For example,  the aggregation of different polls shows:

43.7% for Biden

44.1% for Trump

0.4% difference between the two, which has a low statistical significance

Edit. What is your source? It seems there is no recent YouGov poll with the results you mentioned

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/01/briefing/2024-election-poll-trump-biden.html

https://today.yougov.com/politics/articles/45820-trump-remains-2024-gop-presidential-favorite-poll

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The YouGov poll you linked (showing the 41% vs 41% you mentioned,) is from 15 June. I wrote "recent posts".

I cannot read the other link

Edited by candide

5 minutes ago, candide said:

The YouGov poll you linked (showing the 41% vs 41% you mentioned,) is from 15 June. I wrote "recent posts".

I cannot read the other link

We are now in September 2023 June 2023 is recent in my books

The nytimes link dated 1st August 2023 puts both parties on 43%

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

We are now in September 2023 June 2023 is recent in my books

The nytimes link dated 1st August 2023 puts both parties on 43%

Actually, other polls were showing a slight advantage for Biden in June, so no pro-Biden bias from YouGov.

Anyway  I am not sure to understand the point you are trying to make.

My point is that Biden and Trump are more or less tied in polls, with a slight increase for Trump recently (but not  really statistically significant). So the YouGov polls are similar to the others within the usual margin of error ( ex the Times poll which is not a YouGov poll). Nor better nor worse.

NB In order to get a broader overview, it is better to have a look at what aggregators are showing, such as this one:

8 hours ago, JayClay said:

So UK exports the the EU have declined?

And EU exports to the UK have declined?

It's almost as if it was mutually beneficial for both parties when we were a member, wouldn't you say?

You and your rational argument and conclusion. Whatever next ....????????

• Haha 1