What do you look for in a hotel?

bignok

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Has to be pet friendly ... so limits our selection.

Next would be view from balcony/room, and or the grounds of hotel.  Green areas at, or out the gate a plus, that dog thing again.  Secure parking or I can actually see the car from room, preferably, in front/next to room/bungalow.

Quiet, though we don't do metro areas that much.  Away from farang tourist/nightlife areas, bars, noise.

Near restaurants, or at least a 7-11, always a plus, though don't mind walking or driving.

If Krung Thep, near public trans, MRT/BTS/bus line.  We don't do taxi/grab, unless unavoidable.  Sometimes location is a priority, depends why there.

Room itself, AC, balcony, soft bed, ensuite toilet/shower.

Bungalows a plus, though most are, unless at Krung Thep

Size-20+m², and rarely use a pool, so not important.

Budget, that's wide margin ฿500-฿2500, rare we break ฿2500

Brekkie or food available, not important, unless way out there.

You missed out EV charging point.......????

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

One thing I really want in the room is bedside table and bedside light.

I agree. Stayed in some they only had one small table. Needed to use chair on other side. 2 tables with draw for books is ideal.

1 hour ago, Sigmund said:

Top class furnishings, clean sheets, complimentary towels and toiletteries  obviously at a crashed price, considering the competition and excess supply of good standard hotels in Thailand.

Good security 24 hr, reliable, discreet and efficient room cleaning service, available all day.

Well cleaned and maintained swimming pool of course

A nice bar where one can try to pick up one of the farang females living in the hotel.

Fast and decent check-in hours. Not those annoying habits all over, that chek-in only after 3pm but shoove you out by noon.

Discreet but efficient reception, hooker friendly,  who will check and keep the id of all the hookers I call in. ???? And call before they leave to make sure all is ok

Great free wi-fi that is secured hopefully and not end up with spams or phishing attempts via the wif

Secure luggage storage at reception,

Centrally located next to public transport, but with decent sound blocking windows as not to hear or feel the rumbling of the sky train nearby.

Clean and well maintained air con that can be switched off,

Non smoking rooms in sufficient supply.

Windows that can be opened to air the place.

Proper elevators well maintained,

Good club sandwiches day and night  but not at crooked overcharged prices. Mainly in the island hotels that openly cheat.

Bathrooms properly serviced and defective fittings replaced, with no mould or stuck filth.

Sufficient closets and mainly hangers.

Complimentary iron and iron board and hair dryer of course.

Daily replacement of the plastic laundry bag that I never use for the hotel laundry at rip off prices, but use to put my used laundry in the luggage and take it elsewhere ????

A minimum space in the rooms and not those cramped spaces.

King size bed of course , large enough to acconodate 2 or why not even 3 to 4 "guests" ???? and a clean fridge,

Proper curtains and blinds to block morning sun, especially after a late night out

English speaking reception staff who can help with printing documents or make residence statement for immigration or other hassles asking for an address, 

Decent 24hour business center with free and sufficent tables to acces computer, printer and photocopy.

Breakfast options but not compulsory and deducted from the bill if not used.

Reliable hotel safe both at reception and in room, And not the kind of safe any maid or whoever can open with the master pass,

Complimentary daily supply of at least 2 large bottles of mineral water.

And yes, this is a minimum requested, that is available in many 3 or 4 star hotels in Thailand.

Ok here we go to click on  the laughing or sad faces ????

So you don't ask for much

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No family resorts with kids running everywhere thanks

The family aspect killed the Ha Long Bay cruise for me after a quick look on Youtube.

I was going to float down the Amazon next year, but it too looks full of bonding families. Yuck.

• Haha 1

1-  On Agoda or Booking.com, guest reviews of 7 and above (and there should be a large number of reviews, not just a few).

2-  Near where I want to be, and I double check this with Google Maps Street View, where I can see the actual surroundings and distance to shops, etc.

3-  In my price range (you can enter it when searching).

4-  Pictures of hotel and my chosen room category are nice.

5-  Plus points:  Balcony, microwave, bathtub, smart TV in room.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, bignok said:

I guess location but near what things?

Big size room?

Within budget of course. Whats your budget?

Swimming pool yes or no?

If I am traveling for leisure , I always get a pool. It is a good time filler and provides some entertainment. 

The rest is mostly price

17 hours ago, bignok said:

I guess location but near what things?

Big size room?

Within budget of course. Whats your budget?

Swimming pool yes or no?

- Good location (beach, attractions, or nice views/scenery).

- Nice breakfast.

- Comfortable beds.

- Pool is a must.

- Decent room size.

5000 a night is my budget.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

A bed

cable with adult movies pay per view

weird hairs on sheets

stained sheets

vibrating coin operated bed

mirror on ceiling

dead body under bed

mini bar

bible

baby soaps

no balcony--u know why

You can probably just stay home and have all of that. No need to pay.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Of primary importance for me, an ensuite bathroom with a "walk under" shower. Not a bath or shower unit above a bath. Why? Several years ago whilst on holiday in Chiang Mai, I slipped in the bath whilst using an overhead shower unit, the hotel had no slip mats. I crashed down onto the bath edge, breaking 3 ribs and puncturing my right lung, resulting in 2 weeks hospitalisation in Chiang Mai (4 days in ICU). At my age now, getting into and out of a bath is extremely difficult. Here in Cambodia where I now live, my apartment has 2 ensuite bathrooms both with "walk under" showers - great!