Neighbours NOISY " Howling / Barking Dog ) Almost 24 / 7......

747man

On 8/16/2023 at 8:25 PM, proton said:

No they wont, has to be over 70% chocy and then they have to eat a lot

Try raw Macademia nuts. Works a treat.  Just a couple will do the job.

Disclaimer: I do like dogs and have 2 well trained / exercised mutts of my own. However, when it comes to howling mutts, sleep and sanity, action has to be taken. Dogs are like kids, and farts. You can only bear your own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 747man said:

So it looks like It'll have to be the Police Soon,I Have been told Better to speak to the Tourist Police

I would advise against contacting the Police as your next step.  As I have said in a previous post, a Lawyers letter would likely be more effective.  Thais know that the Police will do northing, but a lawyer can.  Someone on here mentioned big bucks to go to court here, that is incorrect.  Courts here in civil cases can act like UK Small Claims Court and the fees are modest.  When I was forced into court action on behalf of a Niece who had been re ended by a truck and injured, it cost 5,000 Baht for a police report, 25,000  for court and lawyer fees and we got back 350,000 Baht in injury cost and compensation for her totaled bike. The Civil courts here are as good as any and that may be your final recourse if you don't want move and it's as bad for your well being as you say. One more thing that I would advise is to stay on the moral and legal high ground.  The very foolish posts on here suggesting that you harm the dogs in some way  would bring you a world of pain from the Police, Animal Rights Authorities and likely Immigration.    

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, huangnon said:

Try raw Macademia nuts. Works a treat.  Just a couple will do the job.

Disclaimer: I do like dogs and have 2 well trained / exercised mutts of my own. However, when it comes to howling mutts, sleep and sanity, action has to be taken. Dogs are like kids, and farts. You can only bear your own.

Agree on The Fart's M8, When I let " Off " in the Bed The Mrs Can't get out quick enough !!

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

I would advise against contacting the Police as your next step.  As I have said in a previous post, a Lawyers letter would likely be more effective.  Thais know that the Police will do northing, but a lawyer can.  Someone on here mentioned big bucks to go to court here, that is incorrect.  Courts here in civil cases can act like UK Small Claims Court and the fees are modest.  When I was forced into court action on behalf of a Niece who had been re ended by a truck and injured, it cost 5,000 Baht for a police report, 25,000  for court and lawyer fees and we got back 350,000 Baht in injury cost and compensation for her totaled bike. The Civil courts here are as good as any and that may be your final recourse if you don't want move and it's as bad for your well being as you say. One more thing that I would advise is to stay on the moral and legal high ground.  The very foolish posts on here suggesting that you harm the dogs in some way  would bring you a world of pain from the Police, Animal Rights Authorities and likely Immigration.    

The very foolish posts on here suggesting that you harm the dogs in some way  would bring you a world of pain from the Police, Animal Rights Authorities and likely Immigration.  I Agree M8 But as i've said I wouldn't do that anyway.....

35 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Talk to the puuyay of your village.

Don’t get your hopes up that anything can/will be done though. 

I've DONE That already about 5 times over the past 12 Months,He calls on the Owner has a few " Words " But doesn't have ANY Effect on The Howler !!

the suggestion of a can with marbles or whatever is a great suggestion
but this is essentially you training the dog
one thing you must first come to grips with is
if you want your own way it will likely cost you one way or another
once you get past that there are a few things you could do
firstly i would go ask the neighbour if you can inspect where the dog sleeps etc
going by the dog being quiet a night or two after talks
suggests the dog is kept inside for a night or two
now many would disagree with this
but if the dog does not have a secure kennel outside (i assume it doesnt as Thais want dog for security and its barking at night)
offer to get the dog a kennel so the owner can keep him in the kennel at night
this is also a simple way for the owner to train the dog, if he barks for nowt, he goes in the kennel
doesnt need to be flash but decent size for the breed obviously
or buy them gates or something to keep dogs inside the house in a corner by the door etc
most dogs will sleep during night if inside or in a kennel (8 of mine stay in their own room and are quiet all night)
another option is to speak with the owner and offer to subsidise dog training at a local training kennel
the owner may be very welcome to such a solution
if those fail, get a lawyer to contact them in writing, police can do nothing.

5 hours ago, 747man said:

I've DONE That already about 5 times over the past 12 Months,He calls on the Owner has a few " Words " But doesn't have ANY Effect on The Howler !!

Sorry to hear that. It’s a common occurrence here. I know from experience and others too. Nothing to be done. (We had a pack of dogs doing their rounds and fighting another pack on an hourly basis for years.)

Maybe an envelope or a bottle as thank you for the puuyay and there might be more effort made on his behalf? Take the Mrs and ask what it would take for things to improve?

On 8/18/2023 at 7:49 AM, Bundooman said:

I've had this problem a number of times here in the last 18 years, but not as severe as you describe. As a result, I never needed to do anything and my sleep wasn't really affected.

If I were you, I would take the time to record the howling and barking. I would edit the recording to loop it and play it constantly in the direction of your neighbour's house.

Better still, to play your loop recording when he is at home. 

That is not a good idea.  Dogging a bigger hole for yourself is never the answer here, or anywhere in Asia, just ask any American who remembers Vietnam.