DIY shop not a clue

Harveyboy

I've renamed that shop, "No have" my local one is always promoting stuff as you walk through the doors, big item things, A/c's, TV's etc. 

Soon as you show an interest over comes a sales assistant, I'll have one of those please says I, first thing they do is try to sell you the same thing from a different manufacturer which is twice the price, my normal reaction is, why do I want to pay double the price for the same spec or less as was the case of an A/C unit, their answer, oh this make is better, me, I don't want that one, I want one of those. 5 mins on their phone, and sorry no have, me, well why advertise it here then.

Happened on at least 4 occasions now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I fear, though, that this would end with the shop assistant saying they cannot refund because he has not brought back the extension part.  :cheesy:

Absolute classic, I'm assuming this is Global house from the way he's written it, actually to be honest, my expierence has been quite good with Global house for some DIY stuff, depends what you're getting.  They have service centres in some branches which can be handy.  As with all hardware stores in Thailand, you kinda really need a Thai speaker with you to get anything you actually want.  

And well done for interpreting OP's post XD it was giving me a headache trying to read it.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Most sales people I encounter in these stores have little technical knowledge of the products they sell, except upselling is always good.

I remember a salesman in the same brand store who tried to convince me I needed a 40,000 BTU air conditioner for a 35 sqm condo.

Funnily enough, my GF was the first to lose patience, and walked out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

One method if you are more on the spiteful side.  Bring in baseball bat by your side while chatting nicely with the manager or owner. 

Another. Let them know you need about 20k worth of more stuff and that you can spend your money elsewhere if they want it like that. Or,  have a friend next to you saying he wants to buy an expensive item.  They may then be more helpful to secure your friends purchase.  Ive used that method successfully with a friens and his car problem.  Car yards are the best fun. .  My best advice.  Option 1

• Confused 2

Though your OP is a bit confusing, I see where you are coming from.

Yes, I have had some daft issues at DIY stores, but I think that is lack of training, and lack of staff thinking outside their box.

Even if you learned perfect Thai, you would still have a ploblem......????

5 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

One method if you are more on the spiteful side.  Bring in baseball bat by your side while chatting nicely with the manager or owner. 

Another. Let them know you need about 20k worth of more stuff and that you can spend your money elsewhere if they want it like that. Or,  have a friend next to you saying he wants to buy an expensive item.  They may then be more helpful to secure your friends purchase.  Ive used that method successfully with a friens and his car problem.  Car yards are the best fun. .  My best advice.  Option 1

You're still in the U.S.A. then.....................:huh:

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

Hey folks each day I live here I'm never surprised by the total lack of logic I'll tell you what happend

please let me know if you've experienced anything like it 

So building a house builder bought most of the material I was requested to buy also 

I went to a large builders /DIY in town purchased a lot of gear ..lot of cash..I won't name the company due to certain stupid laws we all know about the this Chain of DIY is well known Globally!!!!!!! Ok so found a large extension piece got the Fosse septic was Not there I went to this store today they checked my purchase on the PC. Yep I'd bought it ..now told can't give me one as they are only given with each tank ..Yep well j bought a tank ..I couldn't get them to realise I'm due one of these Nope not happening..so i said  ok I'll buy one to Which the reply was only with a tank I got the bloody tank ..how difficult is it for them to understand I'm even prepared to pay for something they owe me but then can't sell separate ..

Love the country .love the people but these jobworhs in these Stores need educating ...Wow feel better for that had me angry for bloody hours ...take care keep safe...H 

Are you talking to the shop floor staff who (like in any shop) follow the owners/managers instructions? Or...

Edited by scorecard

23 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

Ok so found a large extension piece got the Fosse septic was Not there I went to this store today they checked my purchase on the PC. Yep I'd bought it ..now told can't give me one as they are only given with each tank .

Communications in Thailand can be very frustrating. 

You tell your wife and hope she understands what you want. Then the wife has to communicate to the sales person what she thinks you told her what to say. I hope you can see how issues could arise, 

IMO it is not a problem with the Thais , they are in their country, they speak their language, and they communicate with each other just fine, it is as who have the problem How well would things go, if a Thai person went into a Home Depot in the US and started asking for things in Thai not speaking one word of English? 

I had a problem understanding what the problem was. Can you imagine the poor Thai guy ?

So,     Not sure what you bought , and what you did not get. 

But I think when you bought the tank,  what you supposed to be missing came with the tank,

What happen to the thing you are missing I don't know, Perhaps they never gave it to you, or perhaps you lost it. 

I think what they were trying to say to you is that they could not give you another one because to do so they will have to take it from another tank and then they would not sell that other tank because it would be missing that part. 

If you could post  picture of what you got, and find a picture on the internet of what you are missing, I might be able to help you rectify the problem. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Wouldn't call half a missing Fosse septic a toilet part

You need to understand that we are all from different countries and we use different terms for different things.

I have no idea what a "Fosse" I googled it and Now I think you are missing an American actor, choreographer, dancer. 

If that is the case then the DYI place might had been the wrong place to go, LOL

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, I have had some daft issues at DIY stores, but I think that is lack of training, and lack of staff thinking outside their box.

Yep mate true 

I stopped using global a long time ago, can't get spares for a mower I brought from them  ANYWHERE. And they ran and tested it with no oil, even though they told me they had put oil in it, I didn't find out until I went to start it at home.

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I stopped using global a long time ago, can't get spares for a mower I brought from them  ANYWHERE. And they ran and tested it with no oil, even though they told me they had put oil in it, I didn't find out until I went to start it at home.

Yes says if all mate eh 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2023 at 5:33 PM, scorecard said:

Are you talking to the shop floor staff who (like in any shop) follow the owners/managers instructions? Or...

Manager was there .. didn't want to know ..he was an arrogant little #hite 

• Sad 1

On 8/17/2023 at 5:23 PM, transam said:

My wife spoke to him on the phone .. didn't want to get out of his Aircon office .. didn't give a #hite 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 6:51 PM, Harveyboy said:

... got the Fosse septic...

I had to google this term... do you mean Septic Tank?

Fosse Septic

What make and model of septic tank did you buy?

What was the missing part?

Normally they come as a complete unit which you then have to pipe up to your sewerage pipe(s) and leach tank and vent.

image.png.0c0bafac5b73f465282153c8f046b055.png

On 8/19/2023 at 4:39 PM, Encid said:

I had to google this term... do you mean Septic Tank?

Fosse Septic

What make and model of septic tank did you buy?

What was the missing part?

Normally they come as a complete unit which you then have to pipe up to your sewerage pipe(s) and leach tank and vent.

image.png.0c0bafac5b73f465282153c8f046b055.png

Yes mate it's my french I forget sometimes