Three new water management measures adopted to cope with El Niño

snoop1130

main-9-1.png

Three new water management measures were adopted at a meeting of the National Water Command Centre today (Wednesday), in anticipation of a prolonged drought after the rainy season this year, due to the effects of El Niño.

Attending the meeting, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, were representatives from the Meteorological, Water Resources and Royal Irrigation departments, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) and the Hydro Informatics Institute.

The first measure calls for the Royal Irrigation Department, EGAT and Water Resources Department to formulate a plan jointly for discharging water from the country’s 35 main reservoirs for use in line with priorities.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-new-water-management-measures-adopted-to-cope-with-el-nino/

-- Thai PBS 2023-08-16

-- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Three new water management measures were adopted at a meeting of the National Water Command Centre today (Wednesday), in anticipation of a prolonged drought after the rainy season this year, due to the effects of El Niño.

Pak Chong district chief officer Kanatchon Sricharoen has adopted prayer.

• Haha 1

I was under the impression that El Nino was a phenomenon that comes around every few years? Why don't they do what they did last time, since we seems to have survived that catastrophe? My guess is that they'll establish sub-committees to ignore the problem.

How about sacrificing some puppies and kittens to the rain gods?

Edited by retarius
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

been like 3 hours of rain in Pattaya this year, including about 2 in the rainy season. I predict a very severe and long drought about to hit Thailand 

Billions spent on Infrastructure, and hardly any of it on the essential Water supply requirements

How any Business would invest into the EEC, with its atrocious water supply is beyond me.

Plus one on a severe and prolonged Drought

• Like 1

The other two points omitted by the above summary of the PBS report are -

The second measure is for authorities to ask farmers to avoid cultivation of second rice crops, due to an insufficient water supply. 

The final measure is to emphasise efficient use of water for consumption and agriculture.

No 2nd rice crop is gunna hurt a lot of farmers & rice consumers as the price of rice was reported today to go up by B3/kg in Sept! But then all they have to do is "ask farmers". Easy peasy.

The 1st point is easy to achieve. All they have to do is formulate a plan - it doesn't state in the report that it has to be effective, nor that they have to implement it.

The last point is easy to achieve as well. Just put out press statements to that effect, but it will achieve absolutely nothing nothing.

So judging from the report, the management measures adopted are totally meaningless and will achieve no water savings at all. I think the Chairman should have insisted on actual management actions to save water, not just talk about saving it. What was the Chairman thinking of?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like to brag (well I do really) but hopefully this won't affect us 'cos we've got a borehole now which takes us off grid. This summer before we got the borehole we were over 20 hours a day without water with no indication whatsoever when it would be on.