The GF building on one of those plots without title

Sorry for vague title.

There are plots of land that are held by family however can not be sold.

As I understand it can be passed onto family.

So cut to chase my Thai partner (10+ years) is in process of building very modest home on father's plot.

The one significant point is that she is only child..

So to my question..

She thinks that she can sign some sort of agreement with father to give her possession upon his passing. (The father divorced from her mother many years ago)

He agrees to sign anything.

Asking for sensible replies.

FWIW ...The money is irrelevant so don't need S.A replies.

TIA

Edited by DrJack54

Your first sentence was the important one, as you mentioned "vague title."

What sort of ownership does the father actually have?  Is it something he is legally entitled to, or did he buy a questionable plot from someone without authority to sell it?

Reason I ask.......my wife's BIL recently bought some land without a real transferable title near a national park.  Land that was deeded by the government to a specific family for subsistence farming, and cannot be legally sold. He was trying to get her to go in on buying a second plot. 

We passed.  I don't imagine a big, tall hansum foreigner building a house on restricted land would go over well in the local community.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Haha 1

To the 2 posters above 

Thankyou for advice and not being full negative.

The father lived in basic home on that plot for MANY years. .

So I'm not overly concerned given 800k outlay on new build.

This pic 2 weeks ago.

Now up to rendering. 

Happy to assist and one after build

Screenshot_20230817-205456.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Could be also another "title deed"

“Tor Bor 5” ou “Tor Bor 6”

it is a plot of land allocated by the Royalty to locals to develop agriculture. Official documents do not allow the construction of “hard” buildings (cement or concrete) on the land, but simply wooden houses for farmers.

This type of real estate is only allowed for the development of agriculture (and nothing else!) after official authorization from the “Land Department” and the municipal administration of the region concerned. It cannot be sold to a Third Party, but can be rented out (despite everything, many “lessors” of this land find buyers by devious means). This Title deed is transmissible by inheritance.

In most Isaan villages the Sor Por Gor land is kept in a register (hand written notebook) held by the Pu Yai Ban.

This land does get sold, on a regular basis, and not to relatives.  The sales and the new "owner" is just recorded in the Pu Yai's records.

Not sure about getting a blue book for a house built on such land, but it must be possible because so many family homes in Isaan are built on this type of land.  And surely they must have house books.

Go and see the Pu Yai with GF in tow.  See if her block is registered in his book, and ask him about "moradook" of your GF regarding the land if Dad passes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

In most Isaan villages the Sor Por Gor land is kept in a register (hand written notebook) held by the Pu Yai Ban.

This land does get sold, on a regular basis, and not to relatives.  The sales and the new "owner" is just recorded in the Pu Yai's records.

Not sure about getting a blue book for a house built on such land, but it must be possible because so many family homes in Isaan are built on this type of land.  And surely they must have house books.

Go and see the Pu Yai with GF in tow.  See if her block is registered in his book, and ask him about "moradook" of your GF regarding the land if Dad passes.

Wooh...you seem knowable regarding this topic.

Will chat with Thai partner tomorrow

The plot has apparently been pegged with boundaries.

As stated earlier..there was previously a modest timber home on plot. For many years..

I would just go down to the land office and ask, if father can't produce any paperwork.

Although all a bit mute, since building is being done anyway.  If only child, and pop legally divorced, anything should be headed her way anyway.

Land having plugs is a good sign, and obviously holds some type of deed.

• Thanks 1