Man kills shopkeeper in US state of California after disparaging Pride flag

Social Media

image.png

A US shop owner was shot dead after a dispute over a Pride flag displayed outside her business, police say.

Laura Ann Carleton, 66, was found with a bullet wound at her Mag Pi shop in Cedar Glen, California, on Friday.

A suspect - who fled the scene on foot - was killed by police when found nearby, allegedly still armed.

Ms Carleton was described as a "wonderful friend" by Hollywood director Paul Feig, who posted an image of them together.

The suspect made "disparaging remarks" about the rainbow flag before shooting the victim, police said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers then located the suspect, armed with a handgun, the San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Department said.

At this point, "a lethal force encounter occurred and the suspect was pronounced deceased".

Feig - known for films such as Bridesmaids as well as the Freaks and Geeks TV series - said his friend had been shot after confronting the suspect for ripping down the flag.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

27 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hyperbole. I don't see any frenzy of hate. Just a few isolated incidents. 

You may be aware but homosexuality is not promoted by various religions (Christianity, Islam etc.). This is not a new thing, it is thousands of years old. A quick trip to many Muslim countries would clarify this for you very quickly. So if you wish to show your support of LGBTQ++ in such an open, flagrant way then you run the risk of offending certain groups. With the rise of multicultural societies such as the US and the UK, members of these groups may well be living next door to you.

Now, before you go all Strawman on me, I am not suggesting she deserved it. Far from it, I think it is a terrible incident and condolences to her family. I am merely stating that people should be aware that by flying their Pride flag or any other flag with potentially divisive political/religious connotations they run the risk (rightly or wrongly) of offending certain people. If they know that and choose to proceed anyway, in the knowledge that they will be offending certain groups then that is their personal choice. In this case she flew the flag in the knowledge that some people would be offended and then confronted the person who was offended. Very brave. RIP.

Do you have evidence that the killer was a Muslim and if not then why are you banging on about Muslims and Muslim countries?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

I never stated he was a Muslim. Could have been a Christian. Could have been an escaped convict. Could have been anyone who doesn't like trans ideology. They haven't released any details of the killer. Often this happens when their identity is a bit, ummm, awkward shall we say.

If he was a MAGA hat wearing redneck in dungarees, driving a Cadillac Deville draped in the confederate flag I dare say we'd have heard all about it by now. 

Either way, whether he was Muslim or not is irrelevant. My point was that if you wish to display a flag that is offensive to millions of people, some of which may be extremists, it's possible that a confrontation will ensue. 

So why bang on about Muslims and Muslim countries?

You chose to insert these into the discussion.

One might be forgiven for thinking  you were engaging in baseless pejorative.

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I never stated he was a Muslim. Could have been a Christian. Could have been an escaped convict. Could have been anyone who doesn't like trans ideology. They haven't released any details of the killer. Often this happens when their identity is a bit, ummm, awkward shall we say.

If he was a MAGA hat wearing redneck in dungarees, driving a Cadillac Deville draped in the confederate flag I dare say we'd have heard all about it by now. 

Either way, whether he was Muslim or not is irrelevant. My point was that if you wish to display a flag that is offensive to millions of people, some of which may be extremists, it's possible that a confrontation will ensue. 

What... A flag like the American flag for instance.? 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Let's not jump to conclusions: when a Christian school was massacred by an LGBTQ woman who even wrote a manifesto, the official stance was, "It's not clear at this time what the motive was." 

It’s not clear how that relates to the topic under discussion.

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

What... A flag like the American flag for instance.? 

Not sure about the American flag. Maybe it wouldn't go down well in certain areas or with certain demographics. I doubt Megan Rapinoe or Colin Kapernick would appreciate it. 

But you can certainly be attacked for displaying the British flag in Britain. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not clear how that relates to the topic under discussion.

Just making the point that we shouldn't always jump to conclusions.

Two people had an argument and unfortunately it resulted badly. 

There's a lot of conjecture about bigoted attacks on minorities 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I know what it is. I even predicted I would be accused of it in post 4 of this thread when I wrote the following...

image.png.da25b9e774f666805dc225fde4b1de26.png

No false equivalence. Both are freedom of speech/expression that have the potential for a less than desirable reaction. The only difference is that you would support one reaction and not the other.

The difference is the killing of the shop keeper for displaying a pride flag actually happened.

Your dreamed up Antifa parade false equivalence did not.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Laura, also known as Lauri by those she knew and loved, has been described as a "pillar" in the community and an "immovable force in her values for equality, love, and justice."

Laura and her husband Bort were described as being "pivotal" in helping establish the Free Store for the Mountain Provisions Coop, which "provided free food and supplies for four months after the blizzard.

"Lauri put her whole heart into keeping it going as long as we could," they continued in the Instagram post. "Pay an act of kindness forward in her honor. Our community needs as much love as we can get right now."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/beloved-shop-owner-shot-dead-30748528

image.png.58a8795e82c81599ff2cb971be9e46c7.png

Then we posters victim blaming because of a senseless killing. Pretty sick stuff

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Not sure about the American flag. Maybe it wouldn't go down well in certain areas or with certain demographics. I doubt Megan Rapinoe or Colin Kapernick would appreciate it. 

But you can certainly be attacked for displaying the British flag in Britain. 

What in earth have ridiculous claims about flying British flags in the UK got to do with the topic under discussion?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Just making the point that we shouldn't always jump to conclusions.

Two people had an argument and unfortunately it resulted badly. 

There's a lot of conjecture about bigoted attacks on minorities 

There’s a fair bit of bigoted conjecture  about a particular minority group being a possible source of attacks.

And not from this side of the room. 

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What in earth have ridiculous claims about flying British flags in the UK got to do with the topic under discussion?

It demonstrates how something as innocuous as a flag can lead to violence.

I would have thought that was obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1