Fatal accident: Mother killed, son injured after motorcycle collision with two pickup trucks in northeast Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred today when a mother swerved her motorcycle to avoid a car, collided with the back of a pickup truck, and was subsequently hit by another in northeast Thailand. She was dragged under the vehicle and killed on the spot. Her 10 year old son, who was riding a pillion, was thrown off and seriously injured.

Assistant Inspector Yotsawarit Simanee, Deputy Investigation Officer at the Sri Saket City Police Station, was notified of the accident involving a pickup truck colliding with a motorcycle, resulting in fatalities and injuries, on the Sri Saket-Phayuh road, Phon Kha Subdistrict, Mueang District, Sisaket Province. He immediately rushed to the scene with the Sawang Jitt Srisaket Thammasatan Foundation’s rescue unit.

At the scene, a Honda motorcycle with the license plate number บต 3220 Sri Saket lay overturned behind a Nissan pickup truck with the license plate number ฏพ 4483 Bangkok. Under the truck, they found the body of a 34 year old woman.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/fatal-sri-saket-accident-mother-killed-and-son-injured-after-motorcycle-collision-with-two-pickup-trucks

-- Thaiger 2023-08-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

A road safety official means who gives a damn nothing if laws are not policed and joe public don't give a rats arse.

It has to start somewhere, and if that means from the top down to change attitudes so be it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

At the scene, a Honda motorcycle with the license plate number บต 3220 Sri Saket lay overturned behind a Nissan pickup truck with the license plate number ฏพ 4483 Bangkok. Under the truck, they found the body of a 34 year old woman.

Does that mean the Nissan pickup driver reversed?

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Does that mean the Nissan pickup driver reversed?

It means she [the deceased mother] swerved to avoid a car, which I assume to mean a pickup was parked and she swerved to avoid it but misjudged her manoeuvre and hit the truck, falling off into the path of another following pick (and Under the truck, they found the body of a 34 year old woman).

It seems she was going too quickly and swerved without looking. The following pick-up didn't anticipate what could happen... no one wanted to use their brakes.... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It has to start somewhere, and if that means from the top down to change attitudes so be it.

Certainly won't start from the bottom, as with all paramilitary organizations only a more senior rank can change things, and he'd probably need approval from his immediate superior and so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It means she [the deceased mother] swerved to avoid a car, which I assume to mean a pickup was parked and she swerved to avoid it but misjudged her manoeuvre and hit the truck, falling off into the path of another following pick (and Under the truck, they found the body of a 34 year old woman).

It seems she was going too quickly and swerved without looking. The following pick-up didn't anticipate what could happen... no one wanted to use their brakes.... 

Not according to the article. She swerved to avoid his truck which was moving lanes, presumable into her lane, and hit the back of his truck. Sounds like he moved into her lane without seeing her.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Another day, another motorbike death. Riding motorbikes in Thailand are a death wish.

Not quite...  plenty of people do not get involved in these crazy incidents because they...

- Ride carefully / defensively

- Are trained

- Are not drunk

- Don't ride at night

- Are not speeding

- Pay full attention

- Don't use their phone while riding

- Wear a helmet

Thats not to suggest catastrophic events do not happen... But, they could happen to you as a pedestrian, they could happen while riding a car. 

But...  the point you make that riding a motorcycle in Thailand is a death wish, is wrong...  when the underlying cause of the vast majority of motorcycle accidents is one of the above, when those factors are removed motorcycling here is far safer than the aggregate stats would suggest. 

On 8/24/2023 at 9:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

motorcycling here is far safer than the aggregate stats would suggest. 

Last time I checked riding an accident on a motorcycle statistically is 10x more likely to result in death than in a car. 

And that's in America.

Are you saying Thailand is magically safer for riding a motorcycle?

I don't think you have any data to back up your opinion (I have data for the 1000% increase of death for riding a motorcycle in America), but I doubt you care because your slur against "aggregate stats" is absurd and indicative that your opinion TRUMPS facts.

Did I get that right? ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:
On 8/24/2023 at 9:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

motorcycling here is far safer than the aggregate stats would suggest. 

Last time I checked riding an accident on a motorcycle statistically is 10x more likely to result in death than in a car.  And that's in America.

Are you saying Thailand is magically safer for riding a motorcycle?

I don't think you have any data to back up your opinion (I have data for the 1000% increase of death for riding a motorcycle in America), but I doubt you care because you probably believe you're always right and don't care about statistical facts.  Did I get that right? ????

No.... in your haste to argue, you didn't get that right at all.... 

The vast majority of motorcycle deaths here are helmetless, drunks, speeding at night... 

Thus, when a motorcycle rider...

- Rides carefully & defensively

- Is trained

- Never rides drunk

- Doesn't ride at night

- Doesn't speed

- Pays full attention

- Doesn't use their phone while riding

- Wear a helmet

Then the blanket statistics are less representative of the risks that individual faces. 

This does not mean that there is no risk or riding is safer than a car... 

But, it does mean that a 'safe and careful' rider who follows the above mentioned traits is far less likely to be involved in an accident than someone more 'reckless'.... 

.... In Thailand the blanket statistics are significantly distorted by ridiculous numbers of 'reckless' riders.

There... I've explained it again for you, but I can't understand it for you.