Getting electricity to your house

We have built a small house on one of our blocks of land 40 metres away from our own house block, we have had a house number assigned to it and want to have electricity  hooked up  but have struck a problem. The house is on the opposite side of the road to our house block and there are a couple of blocks of land(on both sides of the road) between the main electricity poles and the house so we will need to have poles run to the front of the house to connect to it. Trouble is the electricity company has told my wife that we are not allowed to have electricity run past any other land without the land holders permission which effectively stop us from getting electricity to the house, I am lost as I cannot fathom how these land owners are able to deny electricity to go past their land leaving the new house with no electricity when the land owners  land is not being used at all and is just a jumble of tall weeds etc, does anyone know if this is correct and that these people can stop electricity from going past their land, we will be paying to have it all done so money is not a part of this at all. I have never heard of people being able to deny other people electricity or the electric company not being able to just put up the required posts themselves without anyones permission as they are not going to be on their property, they will be on govt land beside the road

Edited by seajae
  • Confused 2

It sounds as if you want to have electric cables run over someone else's land to get to your house. This being the shortest route to your house? assuming you have a road or a track leading to your house, the electric poles would have to follow along the edge of the road/track to get to your house.  

It really doesn't matter the condition of the land you want to cross. It belongs to someone else, so you would need their permission first. Doubtful you would get that permission. 

Maybe you should have sorted that out before you built your house! surely the builders needed electricity at some stage of the build. Did they use a generator?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 1:43 PM, Crossy said:

Sounds a bit odd, if it's a government road the PEA should have an automatic easement to put up poles.

But if you need to place poles on a non-government road you will need to obtain an easement from the property owners.

I expect PEA will want to put your meter at the main poles, so the second will apply ???? 

For clarity could you include a sketch map or Google maps snap of the location (remove any identifying data for privacy).

Maybe a little "lubrication" at PEA would smooth the flow :whistling:

here is the map of our land, it is the seedling block that we want the power put onto, you can see the road(dirt) marked, we have been told we need to find out the owners of the other blocks to get their permission, the corner block plus our house have power poles along the road(dirt) they are on so the power would come from them, each block is 20 metres wide

our land.bmp

On 8/24/2023 at 1:33 PM, seajae said:

we are not allowed to have electricity run past any other land without the land holders permission

i am simply confirming what others said. but what do you mean run past? don't you mean run over? you cannot have an electric line run 'over' someone else's land but if there is a government road that you can have poles planted into then all you have to do is pay for each pole you need. i had this issue with a neighbor.

21 minutes ago, seajae said:

here is the map of our land, it is the seedling block that we want the power put onto, you can see the road(dirt) marked, we have been told we need to find out the owners of the other blocks to get their permission, the corner block plus our house have power poles along the road(dirt) they are on so the power would come from them, each block is 20 metres wide

our land.bmp 11.12 MB · 8 downloads

most likely this is to confirm with other owners where their road access will be as to not block it with poles
not sure how far poles must be spaced here,
and TBH i dont see why they could not be placed at the corner of the plots every 20m
but maybe that would be more expensive and was not an option offered to you
but poles would be on edge of other peoples land who may have their own plans

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

It all hinges on who owns the road.

If it's actually a government road PEA should have an automatic easement to run power.

If it's not government, then you will need to obtain an easement to run the poles. This would likely entail talking to every owner.

Starting point should probably be your local land office (maybe kick off with a chat to your village puyai-baan), they may have a procedure in place to set up easements "easily". It's not like this is a unique situation.

Or maybe PEA can help, aided by a little "lubrication" :whistling:

These problems are rarely insurmountable and those plots are likely to need power in future anyway. 

thanks mate, will update when we get a resolution

Edited by seajae
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes you can not run overhead wires across other peoples land, use underground special double insulated cable in conduit (that could work out cheaper than concrete posts). That is what I had to do. But going ''past'' land is crazy, everywhere here it goes 'past' land  but officially it must be 4 meters high. And as said who owns the road?

Edited by brianthainess

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes you can not run overhead wires across other peoples land, use underground special double insulated cable in conduit (that could work out cheaper than concrete posts). That is what I had to do.

I cannot see anyone agreeing to that particular underground suggestion.

• Like 1

On the subject of easements.

Hopefully there is an access easement in place so you can use the road to get to the property.

If there was any sense involved when it was created it would include utilities (power and water).

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Seems to be strange advice from PEA. Our neighbours electricity runs through our land (no easement) on concrete poles that we have been told belong to us, not PEA.

when we had electricity run to our house along the road   we had to get the neighbours permission to run it from the post in front of his house and pay for the 4 poles to our house, one either side of the road it crossed and then one in front of our house and one in the middle of the yard, to go to the new house we alread  own the pole from where it will start. Land owners say no because they dont want to pay for anything then after we pay for it they will want to hook up to it without spending a cent, they dont like parting with any money when they can rip others off instead

As promised here is the update, wife went back in to the PEA office to get a price to do it and a different person told her she does not need permission from anyone to put the power on to the new house so she has organized them to set it up, while we are unable to contact one neighbour the other neighbour has agreed to pay towards it getting to their land as they want to build as well. Hopefully now they will agree to pay half to get it to their land as its before ours and we will pay the other half plus the full cost to get it from there to our land, also even though we are paying for the poles they have told her the poles  will belong to the PEA and we will have no say if anyone in the future needs to run more power lines from them