Conversion to Non B?

Some time over the next few months I will be setting up a fully trading Thai Ltd Co. My lawyer will handle that side and obtain a work permit for me but, can I enter initially on a 30 day exempt and apply for the Non B in country? I absolutely hate dealing with the Thai Embassy in London and just know they will give me a hard time applying for a Non B be there. If it can't be done from an exempt entry, how about from a retirement visa or extension?

I am no longer married and never worked in Thailand when I was but my mate is and runs a business with a work permit.  He's on a Non O based on marriage.  I note that a Non O based on marriage doesn't state 'employment prohibited' as a tourist visa does. So a married guy doesn't need a Non B?

16 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why not ask your Thai Business lawyer for the best entry solution in your specific situation?

What's the point of these kind of smart arse replies?

The forum is for people to ask questions

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Thanks 1

This seems sketchy. A lawyer setting up a business for a foreigner should know how to get a work permit without the foreigner needing to research and acquire the necessary visa (a critical and integral part of the process). The lawyer cannot provide the work permit until you have a qualifying visa and the business meets the other requirements (such as four Thai employees in most cases).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This seems sketchy. A lawyer setting up a business for a foreigner should know how to get a work permit without the foreigner needing to research and acquire the necessary visa (a critical and integral part of the process). The lawyer cannot provide the work permit until you have a qualifying visa and the business meets the other requirements (such as four Thai employees in most cases).

Not sketchy at all, visa applications are not her forte as far as I know and she does know how to get a WP. She mainly handles criminal and divorce cases etc. but has company set up experience including for foreigners + work permits. From our last conversation where she'd set up a company for a foreigner, it was for someone already living in Thailand. She's handled a few things for me and she's been very good. I'm fairly sure that if I asked her to do the visa application for me, she would but.......I'm not in Thailand at the moment and it only took a few minutes to get the answers I needed here.

I'm not sure that many Thai lawyers that are not handling visa applications every day, will even know that its possible to convert a visa.

I am aware of the requirements for the business - just never applied for a B visa but from past experience in other visa matters at RTE London - they are a real PITA so I want to avoid them.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

What's the point of these kind of smart arse replies?

The forum is for people to ask questions

My answer was not "smart arse" but yours is!

He asked a question and I offered a solution which was to ask the lawyer who, even though they might not know the answer off the top of their head, will have contacts who will know the answers!

You have not offered a solution, just a "smart arse" comment"!

If I was setting up a company in a foreign country (which I have done in Thailand many years ago) I would suggest getting a competent lawyer who can handle ALL aspects!

13 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Then I suggest you ask her if it is her Forte!

PS;  I would have asked that question at first!

Look, I didn't ask for comments about my lawyer - I asked about a visa conversion!

My lawyer has done some excellent work for me and I'd trust her with anything - this girl is about to become a judge if you want to know how good she is.

I guess I could have asked her about the visa but it literally took a few minutes to get a reply here.

What's your problem?

And by the way, like the other poster, I took your remarks as smart arsed - and still do, your use of capitals on Thai Business portrayed sarcasm - as if you were asserting I was trying to appear clever because I said I had a Thai lawyer.  I am still of that opinion but also very sure that you will now deny it.

I'll make just one suggestion - when someone asks a question, please try to just answer that question, I wasn't inviting comments about my lawyer.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

PS;  I would have asked that question at first!

You might.  I knew that I could get a visa but as the time gets closer and I read more stories about the RTE London being.....tw&^s as usual. I asked that question here.

I've never paid anyone to do my visa applications and I don't intend to start.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Look, I didn't ask for comments about my lawyer - I asked about a visa conversion!

My lawyer has done some excellent work for me and I'd trust her with anything - this girl is about to become a judge if you want to know how good she is.

I guess I could have asked her about the visa but it literally took a few minutes to get a reply here.

What's your problem?

And by the way, like the other poster, I took your remarks as smart arsed - and still do, your use of capitals on Thai Business portrayed sarcasm - as if you were asserting I was trying to appear clever because I said I had a Thai lawyer.  I am still of that opinion but also very sure that you will now deny it.

I'll make just one suggestion - when someone asks a question, please try to just answer that question, I wasn't inviting comments about my lawyer.

I hope your new company has nothing to do with public relations!

PS; You said; "I'll make just one suggestion - when someone asks a question, please try to just answer that question, I wasn't inviting comments about my lawyer."

Then why mention her in the first place?

Edited by scottiejohn

On 8/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, MangoKorat said:

You might.  I knew that I could get a visa but as the time gets closer and I read more stories about the RTE London being.....tw&^s as usual. I asked that question here.

I've never paid anyone to do my visa applications and I don't intend to start.

There is a well-founded suspicion that the website of the Thai embassy in London may have been hijacked by spammers.