Phuket Landlord Shocked At Damage Caused By Foreign Tenant

webfact

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

More likely the entire load of cupboards is in the condo next door.  Seeing the tenant had left someone simply went in and gutted it and put it in their own condo - after all, to gut a condo like that would not be easily not seen -

Which condos are you referring to?   There's no condo in the OP.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay. Thanks. I have no idea why you didn't say imposter when you meant imposter, or how you could misunderstand the very large headline and the opening sentence of the report which stated a landlord and man.

You are correct, of course.

Mistakenly, I seemed to have focused on the long hair, and then I came to an erroneous conclusion.

This is a very good lesson for me to learn, that I must be more observant and also must not jump to conclusions by letting my perceptions carry me away.

And, as you say, my word choice was incorrect.  Why I used the word RINGER, I do not know.  I must have been thinking of horse racing and betting on the horses, I guess.

Just now, itsari said:
Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?   You've seen the lease, have you, or maybe there's a law here that states that?

Most standard rental contracts include that clause .

Bye

So you have no idea whether that is the case in this instance, thought as much.

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What point was there to do this???

Gone to a lot of trouble to remove the cupboards??  Why

Ya the roof, walls and floor leaved with the monsoon rains and then the Ukrainian realized he was living in a mold factory because his head was about to explode from pain. So he started to remove some of the rotten wood to see if he could fix it himself and found all the mold and rot. Then decided to get out of Thailand because..... things were just not working out at all.

I had this experience in Thailand with mold many times, they are very poor builders. Almost every building has a mold problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, harleyclarkey said:

Six mollusc brains found this distressing issue funny in the OP . 

Why?

What is funny about criminal damage and theft? 

What is funny is that it happened to the sort of "aspirational" ****** (Rhymes with tanker) who calls themselves Mercedes P. BenzZaa.

When I saw that my sympathy vanished as quickly as Pheu Thai election promises/loyalty to their ally.

12 hours ago, pomchop said:

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think being an owner of rental properties is not always a big bowl of cherries.

Some of the stuff i have seen from past tenants in the usa were truly disgusting and good luck every having enough deposit to cover it as they also often just stall on paying rent for a while then disappear in the middle of the night....take them to court and get a judgement but good luck collecting.

And of course it is idiots like this that make it tough on the many normal decent tenants....it is not always easy to tell the good ones from the horrible ones when renting as most come across as being ok until they turn into a xxxx holes like this guy obviously was/is.

Some years ago I had the misfortune to have three sets of tenants in a row that trashed the place and never paid after the first month. I lost the house as I couldn't pay the mortgage. All the tenants were British.

• Like 1

Title should read: Landlord didn't maintain the roof and wants tenant to pay for it.

700k for some furniture. Yeah right.

I've always wondered what their formula is for calculating what we owe them.

It probably goes like this:

Dream figure × 10

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Title should read: Landlord didn't maintain the roof and wants tenant to pay for it.

700k for some furniture. Yeah right.

I've always wondered what their formula is for calculating what we owe them.

It probably goes like this:

Dream figure × 10

'some furniture'....  its not as if the tenant took a couple of chairs and lamp...  He removed the built in furniture which takes a lot of effort... 

So there's the cost of..

- Built in furniture on the room we can see in the photo.

- Other furniture we can't see ?

- TVs and other appliances ?

- Curtains / Sofa etc ?

- Cost of installation / repair. 

- Loss of rental for the time it takes to repair. 

Has the tenant also damaged the roof ???   or was this just a leaky roof which would be the responsibility of the landlord. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:
13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What point was there to do this???

Gone to a lot of trouble to remove the cupboards??  Why

Ya the roof, walls and floor leaved with the monsoon rains and then the Ukrainian realized he was living in a mold factory because his head was about to explode from pain. So he started to remove some of the rotten wood to see if he could fix it himself and found all the mold and rot. Then decided to get out of Thailand because..... things were just not working out at all.

I had this experience in Thailand with mold many times, they are very poor builders. Almost every building has a mold problem.

Without any communication with the landlord ???

Mold could be a possibility of course, but anyone renting a property does not have the right to start ripping out built in furniture...   

Ask the landlord to deal with it... Landlord refuses ? move out. 

Yep, you'll lose your deposit, but charges for criminal damage are worse. 

And... from the photo it would appear that 'every piece' down to the last fitting was removed - that makes no sense at all.

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Makes me wonder what kind of armpit you live in if the furniture is only worth 70k baht. 

No idea how much my furniture is, doesn't seem too pricey, but comfortable

I do have a nice 2 bedroom fully furnished condo overlooking the Silom/Sathorn skyline 

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so the tennant removed a cupboard and then installed an aircon unit on the same wall while removing all the doors ?

Yes. It is very common for indoor cannabis growers to add additional aircon units to control growing temperature. That's exactly what they did - they stripped all the furniture out and probably sold some and discarded what they couldn't sell, then they installed/added racks to grow in, and added aircon unit(s) to control growing conditions.

The roof was probably not leaking when the house was rented, but stripping everything out probably damaged it, that- or they intentionally did it for whatever reason (needed for growing?).

Looked at the guy's FB page. Looks like a nice/normal guy. While the name might sound funny, being called Benz is very very common in Thailand and nothing weird about that.

He did go to the police a few days ago. Hopefully police issued an exit ban for the Ukrainian criminal and will make him pay or go to jail, preferably both, and preferably a ban on re-entering Thailand. He is a criminal because he broke many laws including theft, working without a work permit, growing cannabis without a license, recklessly destroying property, etc.

While I sympathize with Ukrainians about what they've been going through - it is no excuse to turn to crime and hurt innocent people - Thailand does not need such people. No country does. He should be sent back to Ukraine.

And speaking of Ukrainians - landlords should be very careful renting to male Ukrainians - they fled Ukraine so they don't have to fight, so the chances of them being upstanding citizens are quite low IMO. I'd say the same thing about Russians in Thailand, but actually fleeing a war because you don't want to oppress another country is a lot better than fleeing a war defending your homeland.

The end.

• Confused 1

I believe many Ukranians that end up in Thailand have mental health issues, last January I was in a small apartment in Bangkok that I rented through Booking.com and the Ukrainian who was renting the unit next to mine started to make some really weird and loud noises in the middle of the night, I had to contact the building manager who kicked him out. 

This war is taking a toll on many people, I hope it's soon over, really! 

Edited by Shocked farang
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

What was he thinking.... Full compensation to the owner, 10 year ban from the country and forced conscription to fight the Russians.

The ten year ban won't be necessary if he's sent to fight the Russians, but the compensation should be collected first. 
I'm sure the King of Coke will be happy to have him returned. 

• Like 1

The Ukrainian shouldn't been allow to leave the country until the problem was/is sorted out.  Then, if indeed, he did this dastardly deed then he gets banned from returning to Thailand after he coughs up the baht to satisfy the damage or off to prison he goes.  He makes it tough for the rest of us that are renting and/or leasing.  I had rentals for years and believe me some of the things people do is mind boggling.