Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand Promote Use of Local Currencies in Bilateral Transactions

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Another step towards the demise of the USD as the world's Reserve Currency.

We've heard similar announcements from the same group of countries every couple of years for decades, and so far virtually nothing has happened - so I don't think Uncle Sam has much to worry about for the moment 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

don't think the $US has much to worry about from three very minor Asian countries. They have little to no influence with the wider world.

With the Brics trading bloc just adding 6 more countries with KSA, IRAN and UAE all big oil producers, is chipping away at the USD calling for trade between the bloc using their own currencies. With a further 40 countries waiting to join, I think it is the start of a shift away from the dollar. Over 50% worlds population, more gdp than G7 and 27% of oil production. Difficult to ignore. Maybe the USA should stop sanctioning countries and seizing their assets. The world is turning against a weaponised financial system using the Greenback.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, generealty said:

With the Brics trading bloc just adding 6 more countries with KSA, IRAN and UAE all big oil producers, is chipping away at the USD calling for trade between the bloc using their own currencies. With a further 40 countries waiting to join, I think it is the start of a shift away from the dollar. Over 50% worlds population, more gdp than G7 and 27% of oil production. Difficult to ignore. Maybe the USA should stop sanctioning countries and seizing their assets. The world is turning against a weaponised financial system using the Greenback.

Doesn't look like de-dollarization is working so well for Russia and India.  https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-says-theres-problem-billions-014447565.html

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Another step towards the demise of the USD as the world's Reserve Currency.

This echoes the BRICS meeting which expanded by 6 countries and is encouraging trade without the USD as intermediary. New members include Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, and Iran, so now the Middle East is covered.

3 hours ago, generealty said:

Already with 11 members the group could become unwieldy, so 40 more is unlikely. 

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think the $US has much to worry about from three very minor Asian countries. They have little to no influence with the wider world.

What about the total output of palm oil between all three?

Rubber

2023-08-24_08-50-13.jpeg

On 8/26/2023 at 1:22 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think the $US has much to worry about from three very minor Asian countries. They have little to no influence with the wider world.

I think you are missing the point.....this is the beginning of the process. But take a look at forecasts for 20 years hence, and BRICS will be a much bigger deal, and if Saudi ditches the petrodollar (which it will), the US loses its ability to finance its wars by printing money. The end is nigh.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2023 at 3:36 AM, generealty said:

It will take time but I do believe within two decades, the dollar will be used in less than 50% of world trade transactions from its current value of approximate 90%

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, retarius said:

I think you are missing the point.....this is the beginning of the process. But take a look at forecasts for 20 years hence, and BRICS will be a much bigger deal, and if Saudi ditches the petrodollar (which it will), the US loses its ability to finance its wars by printing money. The end is nigh.

I'll leave the world to it. I'll be dead by then. Meanwhile, a lot can and will happen in the coming years which could make any predictions pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1