18-Wheeler Crashes into Barrier in Sri Racha After Driver Falls Asleep at the Wheel

webfact

image.jpeg

Sri Racha — An 18-wheeler driver fell asleep at the wheel in Sri Racha on Tuesday morning, August 22nd, causing a devastating crash that resulted in the truck bursting into flames.

The accident was reported to local emergency responders at 7:30 AM on August 22nd. The authorities rushed to the scene where they found an overturned 18-wheeler on Motorway Road, kilometer 100+300, in the Sri Racha district, Chonburi province.

A large fire was engulfing the truck, especially in the engine compartment and driver’s compartment. Firemen were called in to extinguish the blaze, which took them about half an hour. Two victims, the unidentified Thai driver and his wife, were sent to a local hospital to be treated for their minor injuries. They did not formally release any statement to the press.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/25/18-wheeler-crashes-into-barrier-in-sri-racha-after-driver-falls-asleep-at-the-wheel/

-- THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-08-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

After taking my HGV license in Thailand I still dont know if there is any requirement on the number of hours that can be driven!

(Licence can be shown on request)

I am intrigued to know how you managed to take the HGV test here. And if so, surely there would have been some grounding in the laws, loose term I know, regarding what hours you can work.  

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

After taking my HGV license in Thailand I still dont know if there is any requirement on the number of hours that can be driven!

There are none as far as I know, not even log books, yet alone Tachographs, Did you use an instructor or just turn up and take the test ?

14 hours ago, worrab said:

I am intrigued to know how you managed to take the HGV test here. And if so, surely there would have been some grounding in the laws, loose term I know, regarding what hours you can work.  

Yeh I'm intrigued as well. I had a UK HGV license, but it was never shown on my Thai license, I also would like to know why he needed to take the test. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, watchcat said:

How do they know that he fell asleep?

From the link;

The Pattaya News interviewed the victims’ friend, who was driving another truck behind them. He said that he called the victims to ask about what caused the accident. The friend, who asked not to be identified, said that the driver of the truck fell asleep at the wheel, causing his vehicle to crash into a barrier and flip over.

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yeh I'm intrigued as well. I had a UK HGV license, but it was never shown on my Thai license, I also would like to know why he needed to take the test. 

Even more interesting as there has been no reply to this query. I would have thought it was a "protected" form of employment here and westerners would not be able to do this. I also had an HGV license when I lived in UK and never renewed after retiring here in 2015. Would not want to go back to that rat race now!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, worrab said:

Even more interesting as there has been no reply to this query. I would have thought it was a "protected" form of employment here and westerners would not be able to do this. I also had an HGV license when I lived in UK and never renewed after retiring here in 2015. Would not want to go back to that rat race now!! 

I needed mine as an HGV mechanic both in the UK and *OZ (cranes).

Also in the UK I used to take the trucks for annual inspection, and it was always useful for Temp driving agency work, when returning from traveling. Yeh sounds like BS to me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, bbko said:

From the link;

The Pattaya News interviewed the victims’ friend, who was driving another truck behind them. He said that he called the victims to ask about what caused the accident. The friend, who asked not to be identified, said that the driver of the truck fell asleep at the wheel, causing his vehicle to crash into a barrier and flip over.

Ok, thanks. Pattaya News doesn't let me in on their site, hence I couldn't read the link.

On 8/26/2023 at 12:55 PM, cowellandrew said:

BULL Shat I am requesting a photo. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1