Jesus Hit Me Like An Atom Bomb

LaosLover

God and religion were the basis of our humanity's artistic and cultural expression. This had not changed in thousands of years. Modern art is basically a way to store and launder wealth.

As a society, we value little modern art because it's of little value.

Edited by Jelli
  • Like 1

Bit off topic but I liked Devo’s take on religion when they would play as Dove the Band of Love. They would chastise Devo for their devil music. Excellent version of Serve Somebody by Booji boy and there own song I saw Jesus. They would play as a separate band before their own gigs. Get paid as two separate bands. 

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Bit off topic but I liked Devo’s take on religion when they would play as Dove the Band of Love. They would chastise Devo for their devil music. Excellent version of Serve Somebody by Booji boy and there own song I saw Jesus. They would play as a separate band before their own gigs. Get paid as two separate bands. 

Are we not men?

On 8/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, Jelli said:

God and religion were the basis of our humanity's artistic and cultural expression. This had not changed in thousands of years. Modern art is basically a way to store and launder wealth.

As a society, we value little modern art because it's of little value.

It's true that Western art was influenced and sponsored by religion because that's where the money was. However artistic and cultural expression pre-dates Christ by at least 8,000 years. Art and musical instruments have been found from the Early Neolithic period.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:35 AM, Kwasaki said:

Jimmy Jesus was a gangster. ????

Several news items recently claiming that:

- Jesus never existed

- Virgin birth never happened

- Died and resurected from the dead has no basis in fact whatever.

And over many years the claims that Jesus, god, the bible all very negative about gay folks / gay activities (and other items) are not mentioned anywhere in the bible.

My bible/idol is my nightly can of Chang, brings me great pleasure and I can see the evidence. 

• Haha 1

I saw them New Years Eve '77. They were at their Devo-ist.

If you liked Devo, you must like the other great D-band, The Divynals. At some point, we'll have to get into Nick Cave's baffling religiosity to get back on track.

19 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

don't listen to much gospel, but this song is alright. 

There was also the less commercially successful (it's all down to the record label) 5 Blind Boys of Mississippi.

I always hoped for a blind-off pro-wrestling match between them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

I saw them New Years Eve '77. They were at their Devo-ist.

If you liked Devo, you must like the other great D-band, The Divynals. At some point, we'll have to get into Nick Cave's baffling religiosity to get back on track.

Devo in 77. Impressed. Hardcore volume 1 and 2 are worth a listen if not heard before. 

To me being an Australian the Divinyls are a different kettle of fish. Some good songs though. 

Brother went to same Anglican school as Nick Cave. Not a strongly religious school but maybe an influence. It is hard to understand how some fall into faith. Prince too. 

On 8/26/2023 at 9:43 AM, LaosLover said:

In the South, White Gospel is called Southern Gospel -to reassure any Dollywood attendees in doubt.

Elvis was probably the last white southerner to willingly listen to Black Gospel. 90% of what we call show biz comes out of Black Gospel and Minstrel shows.

Elvis had an album out of gospel songs
I think it was simply called "Elvis sings gospel"
It was out of this world! Amazing

5 minutes ago, David in the north said:

I think it was simply called "Elvis sings gospel"
Amazing

Yeah, it's a 2 cd set. His backing group, the Jordanaires, were very collaborative. Carl Perkins led the session. Sold millions.

This is the best known song :

But for Elvis-Inspirational, nothing tops this:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, KhunLA said:

There was a Baptist church down aways from my hometown house, (told you I grew up on the other side of the tracks), and I would pass there sometimes on Sunday walking the dog ...

... and they were Rockin' inside.  Way too cool.

Atheist, but I still find Christion music inspirational, as long as not trying to covert me.  2 favorites:

The Clapton vdo talking about the Lord is the Winner for Ironic post of the day.......

18 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Laughably incorrect and completely irrelevant.

maybe should leave this matter to the mods, or hover mouse over avatar and click ignore

side note can i have my football back that landed in your yard last summer?  I promise to stay off your lawn....