Looking to Import an Expensive Used Guitar

FatVern

The airport staff do tend to be on the lookout for the easy stuff, booze, tobacco and the like.

If it looks "hard" then it becomes invisible.

I had a laser printer in its original packing (no, not as carry on), "sir, what's in the box?", "a printer", "OK thankyou sir".

No warranty implied or inferred, YMMV!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 5:46 PM, JimTripper said:

Why not pay the duty instead of trying to get around it? They are charging that for a reason. You’re not buying locally.

I wouldn't mind paying customs if I could be certain what the price would be in advance. From what I've researched, and confirmed in this thread, is that customs can and will attach any value they want on an item and I can't afford paying full price twice. One option I didn't mention is that I just won't buy the guitar, which is most likely. I just wanted to see what others may have experienced. 

Edited by FatVern

On 8/28/2023 at 9:36 PM, pacovl46 said:

Well, be prepared to pay quite some taxes on that one. The regular non custom shop retails for 3190 something dollars, the custom shop one goes for 10K and the premium custom shop goes for 50K. 

It's not the actual greeny reissue. It's just an R9 in poppyburst that kind of looks like greeny to me. It is a left handed model. 

1 hour ago, FatVern said:

It's not the actual greeny reissue. It's just an R9 in poppyburst that kind of looks like greeny to me. It is a left handed model. 

Ok . Well, unless you get a pretty good deal on it you're probably better off buying a LP second hand in Thailand  due to the import tax.

4 hours ago, FatVern said:

I wouldn't mind paying customs if I could be certain what the price would be in advance. From what I've researched, and confirmed in this thread, is that customs can and will attach any value they want on an item and I can't afford paying full price twice. One option I didn't mention is that I just won't buy the guitar, which is most likely. I just wanted to see what others may have experienced. 

I think the arbitrary pricing only happens if there is no invoice. Just put an invoice or receipt inside the package so they see that. Look up the % charged on that website. That would be good enough for me.

• 8 months later...
On 8/26/2023 at 10:30 PM, FatVern said:

Hi, I am looking for ways to import an expensive used guitar over the 80K baht value. From what little I've researched of shipping, the customs levies are often arbitrary and can be 100% of value? I've also considered flying in with it as carry-on luggage. I've also wondered if any music stores or importers might help with shipping. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this process. Thanks

Importing a guitar over 80K baht value can indeed be tricky due to customs levies. Flying in with it as carry-on luggage could be a safer bet, but it's always good to check airline policies.