Making Yoghurt in an Air Fryer

Phulublub

Does anyone do it here?  If so, what make/model of air fryer? 

The Ninja airfryer has a specific yogurt making setting but is both expensive and not available here, so...do any of those available here have settings that would allow yoghurt making. 

Basically, need to be able to set temperature to 42 C, and timer for 8 hours - one or other appears impossoble with all the models I have looked at.  Have only found a limited selection of models in stores and Lazada translations are often a little lacking in critical detail.

Yes, I coould buy a yoghurt maker.  But I have wanted an airfryer for a while anyway....

PH

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies so far...but none answer my question.  I do not have a breadmaker, or microwave and see no reason to buy either.  I may give the "leave overnight" option a try, but am still interetsed if anyone has an airfryer that has the necessary settings.

PH

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

Those who make it at home, just leaving it out, what is your recipe and procedure?

My Process is simple, but it does use the microwave. I use a litre at at a time of whole milk. 7.5 minutes on full temperature. After it has sat on the counter for about an hour to cool somewhat I add 2 tablespoons of yoghurt culture. This goes into a 1 litre insulated bucket and is left on the counter overnight. After about 12 hours I can decant, it's solid and firm.

But I really prefer Greek-style, so I strain the result using cheesecloth for another 3 or 4 hours. Voila.  I usually end up discarding about 3-400ml of whey liquid, because I haven't found a use for it yet..

Cheesecloth can be bought on Lazada. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Try this recipe, no 8 hour fryer needed.

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Try this recipe, no 8 hour fryer needed.

I can't really see any difference. You heat the AirFryer  up to 180, turn it off, and in 5 hours = yoghurt. 

He turns the empty Microwave on for two minutes, something you should not do, and I don't think it will heat up if there is no water present. 4 hours later = yoghurt.

Someone put me right if I misunderstood the video please.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One drop of rennet mixed with a bit of water mixed when the batch is cooling down will give much thicker yogurt, straining it in the fridge over night with a cheese cloth will give you even thicker end product.

Edited by ezzra

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Thanks for the replies so far...but none answer my question.  I do not have a breadmaker, or microwave and see no reason to buy either.  I may give the "leave overnight" option a try, but am still interetsed if anyone has an airfryer that has the necessary settings.

PH

Come visit your post tomorrow, give it time for people to read and response, if not, well, that'll be the end of it i guess.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm a lazy bar-steward and buy the oh-so deliciously creamy (not sweetened) Aussie 'Farmers Union' greek style yoghurt at Central Food Halls ... yummo ????????????

So good you posted twice!  I used to buy this as well - but the price has shot through the roof so exploring other options.

PH

• Thumbs Up 1

I make 2 liters/time. Heat the milk on the stove, wait for it to cool enough so I can hold a finger in it for about 10 seconds, add 2 spoons of yogurt - just normal simple from 7-11, cover the pot with a towel and leave it on a shelf overnight. At the moment as it is a bit cooler at night I usually let is sit until the next afternoon/evening (so about 20-24 hours)

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

So good you posted twice!  I used to buy this as well - but the price has shot through the roof so exploring other options.

PH

Try Minky Winky on Facebook or LINE free delivery to Pattaya. She is a cheese maker and has a range of products.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martin Brit said:

Try Minky Winky on Facebook or LINE free delivery to Pattaya. She is a cheese maker and has a range of products.

Looks interesting and message sent - though appears she does 2kg as a minimum which is rather too much quantity for me

PH

6 hours ago, dddave said:

Those who make it at home, just leaving it out, what is your recipe and procedure?

1. Heat 15 l of milk to 82 C for 30 minutes in a waterbath.

2. Let it cool to 43 C, add culture and leave it at 42-44 C for 12 hours.

3. Strain for about 30-40 minutes

4. Transfer to sterilized glass containers.

5. The final step that makes the perfect yogurt it to gently whisk it. This will homogenize  the yogurt and prevent whey from settling out on the surface when stored. 

6. Refrigerate to 2-3 C. It store well for 30 days.

Tips:

Add honey for flavor.

Freeze a small sample to use as starter for the next batch. 

I also make rice pudding, but that is a difference and very yummy story.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How ever much pasteurised milk you want in a jar, add a dessert spoon or two of live yogurt and stir it in.

Cover jar and put on top of the fridge overnight then by mid-day it's ready.

Yolida or Bulgaria work perfectly (doesn't matter if the Bulgaria is flavoured or plain).

Here's one I did earlier ..........

P_20190503_202830.jpg

Good with banana

IMG_20170912_073153 (1).jpg

Good with strawberry or raspberry

IMG_20170915_090011.jpg

Good with mango and honey

P_20190531_154534 (1).jpg

You're not initially cooking it a bit? Just add Yolinda and let it sit 12 hr??