Making Yoghurt in an Air Fryer

Phulublub

I make yogurt and no heating is necessary in Thailand most of the year. Average Temp is above 30C and yogurt is very good, it needs about 24 hours at room temp.

If you are up a mountain or in an El Nino winter when temps get below 20C you may need heating. But I just leave it for longer 2-3 days instead of one.

Edited by Brahmz
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, just pour the milk straight out of the container from the fridge.

Milk 800ml prolly makes 400ml yoghurt. Guessing. Milk is 45-48b + a scoop of yoghurt -  Yolinda is now up to 59b.

???

• Confused 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, KannikaP said:

He turns the empty Microwave on for two minutes, something you should not do, and I don't think it will heat up if there is no water present. 4 hours later = yoghurt.

You are correct on both counts. Nonsense.

I was told I just need to leave it outside but it was never thick enough that way. You said you wanted to use your air fryer but yoghurt makers on Lazada are very cheap. I just get UHT milk(no boiling needed), add a few spoons of baby formula to it to make it thick and throw in some yoghurt as a culture. Leave it overnight in the machine then in the fridge for a little. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was told I just need to leave it outside but it was never thick enough that way. You said you wanted to use your air fryer but yoghurt makers on Lazada are very cheap. I just get UHT milk(no boiling needed), add a few spoons of baby formula to it to make it thick and throw in some yoghurt as a culture. Leave it overnight in the machine then in the fridge for a little. 

Boiling is only required for raw milk.

Thickness mainly depends on the stater bacteria.

Early reports not great...made about 3PM yesterday and was starting to thicken when went to bed...this morning not a great deal of difference.  Tastes yoghurty, but not set at all.  Half on this mornign's muesli and will leave other half for the day to see if we mature more...

PH

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, jcmj said:

Thanks for the info about how to make yoghurt. I never knew it was so easy. I’ll be trying it soon. 

You’re just introducing a colony of lactose eating bacteria to milk and then cultivating them. They eat lactose and produce lactic acid. When this has happened to enough of the lactose, it thickens up and you have yogurt. 

As someone else pointed out, you can strain it to produce greek yogurt. If you remove yet more wearer from it, you get something called labné. 

You can eat labné with homemade pita bread and sliced grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers and tahini. 

On 9/1/2023 at 8:11 AM, Phulublub said:

Early reports not great...made about 3PM yesterday and was starting to thicken when went to bed...this morning not a great deal of difference.  Tastes yoghurty, but not set at all.  Half on this mornign's muesli and will leave other half for the day to see if we mature more...

PH

What temperature did you let it sit at?

Did you strain it?

Slightly off topic. We're staying in a hotel in Pattaya for the weekend. They have a good breakfast buffet so I decided to go for the salad bar. Loaded a plate up and dolloped natural Yoghurt over the salad. First forkful and the rest went in the bin. More sugar then mayonnaise on a Pizza. Back to bacon and eggs this morning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:18 AM, bobbin said:

My Process is simple, but it does use the microwave. I use a litre at at a time of whole milk. 7.5 minutes on full temperature. After it has sat on the counter for about an hour to cool somewhat I add 2 tablespoons of yoghurt culture. This goes into a 1 litre insulated bucket and is left on the counter overnight. After about 12 hours I can decant, it's solid and firm.

But I really prefer Greek-style, so I strain the result using cheesecloth for another 3 or 4 hours. Voila.  I usually end up discarding about 3-400ml of whey liquid, because I haven't found a use for it yet..

Cheesecloth can be bought on Lazada. 

I do like Greek yoghurt also. I use the whey I have leftover from making Greek yoghurt to replace the water in bread baking. Whey has healthy enzymes and does impart a nice mild sour flavour to the loaf and the crumb it is softer.

• Thanks 1