Where I live Ive noticed more locals are not obsessed with wearing the facial mask anymore. But some still are.

On 10/5/2023 at 3:31 PM, cdemundo said:

What I have noticed is some people wear masks and some don't.

I have noticed that more people wear masks in some places (crowded BTS/MRT). than in others.

I try to wear a mask if everyone seems to do so (like on BTS), not bothered if I forget, get no dirty looks.

I was living in an AirBNB in a nice high rise apartment in BKK for a month this year. Almost everyone wore a mask in the elevator there and I tried to do so as well. Some people seemed to be paranoid in the elevator, turned their face to the wall right up to their nose touching. I got the impression they thought foreigners (like me) were carrying disease, but  don't really know. I guess the elevator is a confined space so that was the thinking.

Now I don't think about it much either way until I see a thread like this.

Look. I know that we all love Thailand and all that but as much as people like to say they are our intellectual equals? They are not. If you are taking  advice on whether to wear a mask from the majority of people you see about you in Thailand… don’t. 

In some of the places I work , now in the UK, I mix with shelf stackers in shops and supermarkets. They are now skeptical about the whole thing but were the easiest to indoctrinate while the process was going on. No mask worn anywhere. Why are you taking the lead from strapper hangers on the BTS ? 

One thing I’ve been seeing in these supermarkets is people being off with ‘ Covid ‘ six times since it started. How are people contracting it so much. I’ve never been jabbed and get around fine only getting it the two times went it came the first and second times.

No one is wearing a mask in the UK, apart from the unhinged, who is right and wrong the Thais or UK ? 

Edited by Stevey

On 10/2/2023 at 1:25 AM, fredwiggy said:

That's the main issue with wearing masks. If they save a life here and there because particles don't reach someone that's close to  you then that's their worth. They also help with not spreading colds and flu. I'd be willing to bet they have saved many lives before certain people got their vaccinations. Some people don't care about others, and their numbers are high.

On 10/2/2023 at 5:46 AM, TravelerEastWest said:

Fredwiggy,

You are correct - sad that people can be so cold - but actually many who are against vaccines and masks are probably good people but they don't understand science...

@fredwiggy @TravelerEastWest you trying to lump everyone who didn’t consent to this injection that had at first had been predicted as ‘ gonna take years’ which then arrived after we’d all been exposed to the virus and developed natural immunity as anti-vaccine nuts. It has never occurred to me to be anti vax. The likes of RFK that say that vaccines are the reason that people of his age don’t have autism and children from a certain time onwards suddenly started developing autism now suddenly get the ear.. “ what he talking about about vaccines ??”

I was recently in a UK hospital working  a few weeks ago. The odd nut job was wearing a mask. The whole of Walsall Manor hospital (home of the pregnant smoker) was not wearing masks. If Covid was so prevalent and could be halted by a mask they would be mandated as an entry requirement. They are not. 

8 hours ago, Stevey said:

Look. I know that we all love Thailand and all that but as much as people like to say they are our intellectual equals? They are not. If you are taking  advice on whether to wear a mask from the majority of people you see about you in Thailand… don’t. 

In some of the places I work , now in the UK, I mix with shelf stackers in shops and supermarkets. They are now skeptical about the whole thing but were the easiest to indoctrinate while the process was going on. No mask worn anywhere. Why are you taking the lead from strapper hangers on the BTS ? 

One thing I’ve been seeing in these supermarkets is people being off with ‘ Covid ‘ six times since it started. How are people contracting it so much. I’ve never been jabbed and get around fine only getting it the two times went it came the first and second times.

No one is wearing a mask in the UK, apart from the unhinged, who is right and wrong the Thais or UK ? 

People are getting Covid here because of children going to schools, and people eating, sharing, sticky rice and water cups. Wearing masks in public just walking down the street but 10 sitting in the back of a pickup, all without masks. Covid hasn't gone away, but when people talk like you do, others think it's not a problem anymore and off come the masks, and also they're back to sitting right next to each other. A mask is a deterrent of sorts, not something that stops all exposures. Like I said earlier, if you have Covid, and most do without knowing it,as carriers, and don't wear a mask, more droplets can come from you and infect someone close to you, maybe killing them without you ever knowing. If you had a mask on in public, your breathing, or worse coughing, could spread more of it to someone close to you. Simple enough to understand.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Stevey said:

"Why are you taking the lead from strapper hangers on the BTS ?"

I wear the mask as a courtesy, I am not "taking  advice on whether to wear a mask from the majority of people you see about you in Thailand".

Neither do I take advice on whether to wear a mask from self-appointed experts who work with "shelf stackers in shops and supermarkets". I prefer to take advice on this topic from medical professionals

if you prefer not to that is entirely up to you.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:40 AM, fredwiggy said:

People are getting Covid here because of children going to schools, and people eating, sharing, sticky rice and water cups. Wearing masks in public just walking down the street but 10 sitting in the back of a pickup, all without masks. Covid hasn't gone away, but when people talk like you do, others think it's not a problem anymore and off come the masks, and also they're back to sitting right next to each other. A mask is a deterrent of sorts, not something that stops all exposures. Like I said earlier, if you have Covid, and most do without knowing it,as carriers, and don't wear a mask, more droplets can come from you and infect someone close to you, maybe killing them without you ever knowing. If you had a mask on in public, your breathing, or worse coughing, could spread more of it to someone close to you. Simple enough to understand.

Where are you getting you info that everyone is dying of Covid ? In the 2 1/2 year stint did 5months ago I never heard about 1 person dying of it. Also the villages of Isaan , PhonPhiSai Nong Khai  were stacked out with old people when I arrived in Early 2021 that I’d seen the last time in Jan 2020  as talk of a deadly virus started. Everyone was still alive when I arrived in the village. How had they survived it with no vaccine rollout which did start a few of months into 2021. I’m amazed every time I look some one in the eyes  in my travels currently in the UK when the discussion ever turns to Covid and I ask them “ Look you survived 2020 with no vaccine and you even told me that you got Covid also …. So why did you queue for a newly made Jab ? “ Every last one of them just looks at me with a look of gormlessness, confusion and shame and admits “ ……… I don’t know “

On 10/9/2023 at 2:38 AM, cdemundo said:

"Why are you taking the lead from strapper hangers on the BTS ?"

I wear the mask as a courtesy, I am not "taking  advice on whether to wear a mask from the majority of people you see about you in Thailand".

Neither do I take advice on whether to wear a mask from self-appointed experts who work with "shelf stackers in shops and supermarkets". I prefer to take advice on this topic from medical professionals

if you prefer not to that is entirely up to you.

What’s wrong with working along side shelf stackers ? You have quite a high opinion of yourself 

5 minutes ago, Stevey said:

Where are you getting you info that everyone is dying of Covid ? In the 2 1/2 year stint did 5months ago I never heard about 1 person dying of it. Also the villages of Isaan , PhonPhiSai Nong Khai  were stacked out with old people when I arrived in Early 2021 that I’d seen the last time in Jan 2020  as talk of a deadly virus started. Everyone was still alive when I arrived in the village. How had they survived it with no vaccine rollout which did start a few of months into 2021. I’m amazed every time I look some one in the eyes  in my travels currently in the UK when the discussion ever turns to Covid and I ask them “ Look you survived 2020 with no vaccine and you even told me that you got Covid also …. So why did you queue for a newly made Jab ? “ Every last one of them just looks at me with a look of gormlessness, confusion and shame and admits “ ……… I don’t know “

Vert good news that you didn't see anyone die in the village - people don't get COVID due to luck, being careful and thE virus not being in the area etc. You do know that lots of people in Thailand wore masks pre vaccines - correct?

Not sure what your comment about people getting COVID means when as I am sure that you know that hospitals were overflowing with serious cases with people on ventilators and many dying.

Or do you think that was a conspiracy and never happened?

31 minutes ago, Stevey said:

Where did I say everyone is dying from Covid? Everyone has been exposed to Covid, and if you remember, most people aren't affected. Some healthy people die, which is why caution is always a good thing. Covid is dangerous to anyone who is susceptible to it , especially if they aren't vaccinated. This is old news. people are still dying and getting sick from it, and many are suffering long Covid. Covid mutates, which means what was before isn't the same now.

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

What’s wrong with working along side shelf stackers ? You have quite a high opinion of yourself 

Let's see if I can explain my reasoning here.

Possibly it is difficult to follow.

Working along side shelf stackers would indicate that this fellow is not say a doctor or a nurse or a medical researcher.

He is not working in a field that would qualify him to give advice on medical matters.

You misunderstand my post, there is nothing wrong with working among shelf stackers, it just doesn't qualify you to give medical advice.

8 hours ago, Stevey said:

Well lucky that you don't know anyone who died. A family friend lost both parents to Covid-19. So go ahead and stick your head in the sand as much as you want. Wont change reality.

5 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Well lucky that you don't know anyone who died. A family friend lost both parents to Covid-19. So go ahead and stick your head in the sand as much as you want. Wont change reality.

I am starting to think that we are foolish to even have conversations with COVID/vaccine deniers and flat Earthers... Either they truly believe and we won't change their minds or they are having fun with us?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 2:01 PM, Skallywag said:

I am a foreigner and wear a new paper mask almost every day here in Pattaya.  I find it helps in my condo elevator when Indians or Russians are in it to cover up their massive perfume smells.  Also outside it protects my nose and half face from the sun, saving a lot on sunscreen.  Also fossil fuel burning pollution smell from so many tourist busses, badly running baht busses, and even motorcycles is noticeably reduced when wearing a mask.  Also on the beach promenade, coal burning food vendors, that raw coal burning smell has always bothered me, and a mask helps quite a bit.  Less than 1 baht a day and reduces so many obnoxious smells here - 5555   or is it just me? 

It could just be you.Have you tried sniffing your under-arms recently?

• 1 month later...