Electro Magnetic Force RCD

brianthainess

Is it definitely tripping on lightning surges, or has the damp got into an outside outlet/light/other?

Some RCDs are more sensitive than others to power supply issues causing tripping, you could try replacing the beast with a different brand.

Do check all your grounding.

Do you have a MEN (Neutral - Earth) connection? Adding one may improve matters (it MUST be upstream of the RCD).

Some photos of your installation with the covers off would be very helpful.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Is it definitely tripping on lightning surges, or has the damp got into an outside outlet/light/other?

No doubt there is damp, but it does only happen in storms with lightning close by, not even directly overhead.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Is there anything I can do to stop my eclectic tripping off, all the time in a storm already 4 times this morning, or am I better off/safer leaving well alone. ?

My breakers are perfectly normal, nothing eclectic about them at all.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You may want to add surge arrestors on your incoming supply if you don't already have them. May not improve your RCD issue but may save your technology.

What manufacturer is the current unit? Swapping for a big-name unit may improve matters.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Ah ok, it's one of those adjustable beasts. Does it have "bypass" or "off" setting, what is it set to at present?

Image really is too low res to be very helpful ???? 

Yeh sorry looked better before I up loaded it, i'll try again but hard to keep my hands still, old man syndrome. it is set at 20amp and yes the RCD can be bypassed, but I think that could fork my computer and TVs.

IMG_20230901_114242.thumb.jpg.27d452c777e862b838faf20d9d6fed6e.jpgIMG_20230901_113605.thumb.jpg.5c7e3c018a4b194b36a7fafa16a3cd15.jpg

Try setting the beast to 30mA, that's the standard for non-adjustable units.

Bypassing the RCD won't, in itself, cause damage to your kit, the RCD is far too slow to stop a lightning surge.

You really need to add some surge suppression, it will have to go in a separate box.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@Crossy Can you actually see where it is set to at the moment? 
for me it is still too blurry. A 90kb file makes it impossible for my eyes.

Our OP says "20A" (post above mine you quoted) which I'm assuming to be 20mA.

• Thumbs Up 1