Brewing trouble: Kratom tea shop gets steeped in controversy after midnight raid

webfact

image.jpeg

In a joint operation, Khon Kaen police raided a local establishment, Suppaweed, known for selling kratom tea intermixed with cough medicine. The kratom tea raid, which occurred yesterday, was initiated due to various complaints about the shop’s 24-hour operation and its habit of creating noise disturbances late into the night.

The kratom tea raid team, led by Police Captain Danai Thanomchit and Khon Kaen City District Officer Officer Dulayaphop Saengsun, discovered the premises brimming with customers. Many were found with glasses containing kratom leaves on their tables, along with a significant amount of cough medicine in both pill and liquid form.

Among the items discovered during the search were ten bottles of Dastisin (a dangerous drug), three bottles of Fatec Cetirizine, and a jar of PACMADOL, an allergy relief medication, containing 1,000 capsules. A large amount of kratom tea, with various types of flavouring, was discovered in the refrigerator.

The operators of the establishment, 30 year old Surat Sriphinitch, 21 year old Akrawin, and 20 year old Wan Mongkol Deying, were detained at the scene. Samples of the kratom tea were found on the tables and collected for analysis to determine whether it contained cough medicine.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/khon-kaen-joint-operation-busts-local-shop-selling-kratom-tea-and-cough-medicine-blend-2

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago. Only took one small glass that a couple of leaves had seeped in for an hour or so. It was horrible. Like a strong caffeine whack. I felt jittery and nervous for a few hours until the damn stuff subsided. 

• Confused 2

Noticed a lot of small shops selling this type of mix, you can spot them by the win bikes coming and going, even my normal taxi stopped for a big bottle of it the other day, said "make me stay awake", reassuring ????‍♂️ he was fine in terms of driving but I was watching carefully, its got to be better than them being on yaba I figure?