Can convert Tourist visa to Non B while inside Thailand?

I'm getting contradictory information...

An immigration consultant is advising that I must spend 4 to 6 weeks outside of Thailand to go through the application process for a so-called Non B visa.

However, a basic Google search takes one to many posts in which it appears to be quite straight forward to convert a Tourist Visa (with at least 15 days remaining) to a Non B, if you go to the main office in Chang Wattana.

Do any of you know the facts, please?

On what basis are you applying for the non B?

I know that, for example, if you're applying to get a work permit to teach English, the document requirements in country are a lot more strict than thouse outside the country.

Perhaps the "immigration consultant" knows something about your particular case that makes applying in-country not possible?

48 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can on a 30-day visa exemption

Ah, yes, i should have elaborated a bit... yes, I would be on a 30-day visa exemption entry... and applying for a Non-B for employment purposes as I have an offer from a Thai company who is qualified (they have another foreign employee already and have more than enough Thai employees)

18 minutes ago, JayClay said:

On what basis are you applying for the non B?

I know that, for example, if you're applying to get a work permit to teach English, the document requirements in country are a lot more strict than thouse outside the country.

Perhaps the "immigration consultant" knows something about your particular case that makes applying in-country not possible?

Yes, thanks... as i mentioned in another reply, I have a job offer to work for a Thai company that is well qualified and experienced.

Your comment that requirements in-country are more strict is new information for me, thanks.

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

You need to be outside Thailand to apply for a non B. You will only get 90 day single entry. Now a letter of autherisation is required from the Labour Dept as well as all the other documentation.  

By no means do I mean to be confrontational... I just want to explore the possibilities... 

What you say is same as the consultant but that is at odds with many references online, like this one:

image.png.2d25e4dc4911c213bf73836065d51fbf.png

21 minutes ago, JayClay said:

This is not true

What I have seen online is that one CAN convert from a tourist visa to the Non-B but must go to the main office in Chang Wattana to do so.

Is this true? Both: it is possible to do AND one must go to Chang Wattana? Cannot do it at, say, Saraburi?

2 minutes ago, BJEinTH said:

What I have seen online is that one CAN convert from a tourist visa to the Non-B but must go to the main office in Chang Wattana to do so.

Is this true? Both: it is possible to do AND one must go to Chang Wattana? Cannot do it at, say, Saraburi?

Can be done at any immigration office

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BJEinTH said:

You can do it if you have the necessary documents. You must go to your local immigration office. Ignore "consultants" and just focus on what the immigration office itself says:

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=15375

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bagwain said:

I have just been through the exercise and so did my friend.

You have to go outside Thailand to get a Non B.

Laos, Cambo or Penang is the closest.

End of story! 

It is quicker, and the required documents less extensive if you get the Non B visa outside Thailand. However, it is possible to convert from a visa exempt entry or tourist entry to a Non B at the immigration office in Thailand. Unlike when applying at a consulate outside Thailand, where it only takes two or three days, the Non B from an immigration office takes weeks.

12 hours ago, Bagwain said:

I have just been through the exercise and so did my friend.

You have to go outside Thailand to get a Non B.

Laos, Cambo or Penang is the closest.

End of story! 

So wrong! The fact is that your employer did not want to have to produce all the extra paperwork for an in country issue of a Non-B.

Below is an example of a Non-B issued inside Thailand.

original-1624872907735.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 10:45 AM, Bagwain said:

You need to be outside Thailand to apply for a non B. You will only get 90 day single entry. Now a letter of autherisation is required from the Labour Dept as well as all the other documentation.  

No you don't, there are 2 ways. I got mine while on an visa exemption. 

I had a marriage visa but BOI wanted a non B, then i left the country to cancel my marriage visa and ask for an visa exemption. Got the non B visa in country, which was changed to an extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, BritTim said:

It is quicker, and the required documents less extensive if you get the Non B visa outside Thailand. However, it is possible to convert from a visa exempt entry or tourist entry to a Non B at the immigration office in Thailand. Unlike when applying at a consulate outside Thailand, where it only takes two or three days, the Non B from an immigration office takes weeks.

This helps a lot to understand! Thanks...