Vietnam Trip For 1 Month.......Recommendations?

Troy Tempest

1 minute ago, GregBow said:

Saigon to DaNang to Hue - Imperial Palace. Have a beer and feed at the DMZ bar would suggest Dalat and Pleiku if you can and just work your way round to Hanoi , Halong bay. Lao Cai / Sapa see the mountains and rice terraces.

Eat local foods all good. Enjoy and remember what side of the road you should legally be on - but locals may not, as per here watch out for unlit vehicles at night.

Enjoy 

Thanks GB....Checked them out on Google and all look Great.

Very good advice about driving.....I am English so used to driving on the left unlike most Thais (particularly when on motorbikes).

However, I have worked and driven in many countries that drive on the right including USA, many European and Middle East countries and somehow I have managed to live this long.....I have learned to drive Defensively wherever I am!

Also, I never drive at night (After Dark) in SEA if I can avoid it!

Except of course in Emergencies!

14 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Wow!.....Thank you so much....I had a look at Ninh Binh images....I will go there Deffo!

You may want to look at Cat Ba island as a different approach to Halong Bay. I took a boat from Halong city through Halong Bay and it dropped me off at Cat Ba. I enjoyed 2 nights on the island and don't recall the island being really touristy. That was 15 years ago so no idea how it is now.

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

You may want to look at Cat Ba island as a different approach to Halong Bay. I took a boat from Halong city through Halong Bay and it dropped me off at Cat Ba. I enjoyed 2 nights on the island and don't recall the island being really touristy. That was 15 years ago so no idea how it is now.

Thanks for the tip....I like the sound of that!...

As you say it was 15 years ago and many places have changed, but i will take a look and report back in AF after my trip.

Of course I could have Googled Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet, etc., but I prefer to get information from Real People who have experienced places without any vested interest in promoting a place without trying to sell me something! :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

SAPA in the North..can go by train from Hanoi (or drive). Great area--beautiful scenery.

HOI AN is lovely and agree with other posters on DALAT...and good roads around that area for driving.

I also enjoyed HUEThe lake area (old town) in HANOI is excellent for walking around, and small quaint hotels to stay at.

" The lake area (old town) in HANOI is excellent for walking around, and small quaint hotels to stay at."

Agree, and there's areas within the old quarter with wonderful old German, Dutch, French architecture, etc.

Very friendly helpful people, lots of English spoken.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

" The lake area (old town) in HANOI is excellent for walking around, and small quaint hotels to stay at."

Agree, and there's areas within the old quarter with wonderful old German, Dutch, French architecture, etc.

Very friendly helpful people, lots of English spoken.

Thank you SC....I have heard good and bad reports about Hanoi, but I believe the Architecture and Food in many parts is heavily influenced by the French Colonisation which should make for a very interesting visit, particularly for my GF who has never ventured outside Thailand.

She is from Sakon Nakhon and so could easily be mistaken for VN or Lao, but does not speak any languages other than Thai in Various Dialects and Broken English!

If we go somewhere where they may speak French or Viet-English I will have to translate for her for once, which should be a laugh! ????

Edited by Troy Tempest

The road from Danang to Hue over Hai Van Pass is spectacular.  Best way to do it is to drive.  Don't get into the tunnel that goes thru the mountain.  Take the old pass road if you can.  I did it in an old Russian Lada back in 1993, before the tunnel was built to accomodate heavy trucks and busses.  I'm not sure what the rules are about cars now.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thank you SC....I have heard good and bad reports about Hanoi, but I believe the Architecture and Food in many parts is heavily influenced by the French Colonisation which should make for a very interesting visit, particularly for my GF who has never ventured outside Thailand.

She is from Sakon Nakhon and so could easily be mistaken for VN or Lao, but does not speak any languages other than Thai in Various Dialects and Broken English!

If we go somewhere where they may speak French or Viet-English I will have to translate for her for once, which should be a laugh! ????

My wife worked for Red Bull in Vietnam about 20 years ago and she only saw the south, been back a couple of times to HCMC but she wants to go to the north.

We did think about going to SaPa early this year but opted for Luang Prabang in Laos. That is a nice place and easy for Thais as a lot of Thai spoken. My wife asked the hotel manager and it stems from when they were kids, only had Thai TV.

We are looking to go to north Vietnam in the new year so will be interested in what you come up  with.

2 hours ago, Kalorymetr said:

Impossible to rent a legit car without a driver. 

Some people have said that, but I got this from the UK Government Website:  

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Vietnam is on the list which requires you to have an IDP 1968.

Are you saying that the UK Govt. Website is wrong?....Maybe it has changed, but this was taken from the website today......

Check which IDP you need

Check the table to find out if you need an IDP. There are 3 types of IDP:

image.png.2e4568632d87d9f256706f9e41a74fdb.png

Update:   I just looked at car rental prices at HCMC Airport.....There were either no cars available or they were incredibly expensive....$168 per day for a Medium Sedan!

Have to be Plan B.....

Edited by Troy Tempest
Update

2 hours ago, LALes said:

The road from Danang to Hue over Hai Van Pass is spectacular.  Best way to do it is to drive.  Don't get into the tunnel that goes thru the mountain.  Take the old pass road if you can.  I did it in an old Russian Lada back in 1993, before the tunnel was built to accomodate heavy trucks and busses.  I'm not sure what the rules are about cars now.

Great info Lales......Impressed you did it in a Lada too! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

My wife worked for Red Bull in Vietnam about 20 years ago and she only saw the south, been back a couple of times to HCMC but she wants to go to the north.

We did think about going to SaPa early this year but opted for Luang Prabang in Laos. That is a nice place and easy for Thais as a lot of Thai spoken. My wife asked the hotel manager and it stems from when they were kids, only had Thai TV.

We are looking to go to north Vietnam in the new year so will be interested in what you come up  with.

Thanks for your info.

We are planning on doing Laos another time.

With all the helpful information members have kindly sent we will have plenty to get around in VN and even now 1 month might not be long enough!

Look forward to posting back on here after the trip!

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Some people have said that, but I got this from the UK Government Website:  

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Vietnam is on the list which requires you to have an IDP 1968.

Are you saying that the UK Govt. Website is wrong?....Maybe it has changed, but this was taken from the website today......

Check which IDP you need

Check the table to find out if you need an IDP. There are 3 types of IDP:

image.png.2e4568632d87d9f256706f9e41a74fdb.png

Update:   I just looked at car rental prices at HCMC Airport.....There were either no cars available or they were incredibly expensive....$168 per day for a Medium Sedan!

Have to be Plan B.....

I am not saying it's illegal to drive. I am saying you won't find a legitimate car rental company as a tourist. At least I couldn't.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

If the wife is from Sakon maybe she would like to see the bottom end of the Mekong.

An overnight trip if going by road to Can Tho / Me Tho and beyond  and the delta or Vietnam tourist agency do a day trip includes a boat ride and lunch.

Not too expensive if I remember.

Tourist place is opposite Vincom centre easy find

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GregBow said:

If the wife is from Sakon maybe she would like to see the bottom end of the Mekong.

An overnight trip if going by road to Can Tho / Me Tho and beyond  and the delta or Vietnam tourist agency do a day trip includes a boat ride and lunch.

Not too expensive if I remember.

Tourist place is opposite Vincom centre easy find

Thanks GB....We also plan to go to Phu Quoc in the future so could do Can ho/ Me Tho on that trip.:jap:

49 minutes ago, LALes said:

We had a Viet driver.

Thanks....I couldn't believe the price of rental cars that I did find and I did several searches.

Also, availability is pretty much non-existent from what I have found.

So it looks like we will be taking Planes, Trains, but no Automobiles unless with a driver! ????

• Thanks 1

Hi, best IMO , fly into Hanoi. Lovely city with old Vietnamese character.  From there, take a one night trip to Halong Bay and a boat trip, wonderful scenery.

From there travel to Hue, visit imperial citadel  etc and Perfume river trip. From there you can visit Hoi A for a few nights, beautiful old village, historically a Japanese trading center, try and visit a Japanese house,  there is the covered bridge , so special. What is so great about all these suggestions, is that you get to see the real Vietnam with its people who still wear their au dai .

From there to Dalat if you fancy a few cooler days rest and repos before heading to Saigon. It’s a more modern city these days with a strong French influence. Have some cocktails on the Rex Hotel roof top, fab view’s, get the feel of all the ambiance of the end of the Vietnam war as the north Vietnamese Army approached Saigon. It was from there that the American news filmed. Very sad times. A must is the War Remnants Museum, don’t leave Vietnam without going . 
From Saigon , by bus , a must trip is the Mekong Delta and one of its floating markets which are the most interesting and colorful in all of Asia. Surrounded by orchards, farms, fresh noodle factories, all their produce is fresh and you can eat on your hired boat with oarman from other kitchen boats. A fantastic experience which was one of the highlights of my long trip. The best are Cai Be and Cai Rang. I stayed overnight to have a whole day and sunset . From there I came back by river boat direct to Phnom Penh Cambodia, but you can also return to Saigon and fly home. 
It’s a wonderful country that still has the exotic feeling of south east Asia, and fantastic food,

please read up on each destination as I can’t name all there is to see in each. I have Vietnamese family so have good experience of this country. Happy travels. 

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Hi, best IMO , fly into Hanoi. Lovely city with old Vietnamese character.  From there, take a one night trip to Halong Bay and a boat trip, wonderful scenery.

From there travel to Hue, visit imperial citadel  etc and Perfume river trip. From there you can visit Hoi A for a few nights, beautiful old village, historically a Japanese trading center, try and visit a Japanese house,  there is the covered bridge , so special. What is so great about all these suggestions, is that you get to see the real Vietnam with its people who still wear their au dai .

From there to Dalat if you fancy a few cooler days rest and repos before heading to Saigon. It’s a more modern city these days with a strong French influence. Have some cocktails on the Rex Hotel roof top, fab view’s, get the feel of all the ambiance of the end of the Vietnam war as the north Vietnamese Army approached Saigon. It was from there that the American news filmed. Very sad times. A must is the War Remnants Museum, don’t leave Vietnam without going . 
From Saigon , by bus , a must trip is the Mekong Delta and one of its floating markets which are the most interesting and colorful in all of Asia. Surrounded by orchards, farms, fresh noodle factories, all their produce is fresh and you can eat on your hired boat with oarman from other kitchen boats. A fantastic experience which was one of the highlights of my long trip. The best are Cai Be and Cai Rang. I stayed overnight to have a whole day and sunset . From there I came back by river boat direct to Phnom Penh Cambodia, but you can also return to Saigon and fly home. 
It’s a wonderful country that still has the exotic feeling of south east Asia, and fantastic food,

please read up on each destination as I can’t name all there is to see in each. I have Vietnamese family so have good experience of this country. Happy travels. 

As said , best to take a car and driver , really reasonable prices. More comfortable than the bus. 

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Thank you Geisha.....That's exactly the sort of info I was asking for!

And thank you to everyone else who has contributed giving loads of choices and Great Locations. :thumbsup::jap::jap::jap:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

OP said they didn't want tourist trips.

Halong Bay - mass tourists, better get the train from Hanoi to Ninh Binh and hire a bicycle (just opposite the train station).

Hoi An - too many tourists, totally packed.

Mekong Delta - 100% tourist trap (Cai Be).

Here's Hoi An, the Chinese tourists looked quite nice, but by 9am so many of them you couldn't move.

IMG_20190705_075137.jpg

Ninh Binh, Tam Coc

IMG_20191006_090045.jpg

IMG_20191006_104842.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

OP said they didn't want tourist trips.

Halong Bay - mass tourists

Hoi An - too many tourists, totally packed.

Mekong Delta - 100% tourist trap (Cai Be).

Here's Hoi An, the Chinese tourists looked quite nice, but by 9am so many of them you couldn't move.

IMG_20190705_075137.jpg

Thanks BritMan!

We will do some of the tourist places, but having lived on Samui for 17 years we are not looking for a Beach Holiday!

Most of the places that people have recommended look Fantastic.

I know that you are well traveled in SEA and I am most grateful for your input! :thumbsup::jap:

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks BritMan!

We will do some of the tourist places, but having lived on Samui for 17 years we are not looking for a Beach Holiday!

Most of the places that people have recommended look Fantastic.

I know that you are well traveled in SEA and I am most grateful for your input! :thumbsup::jap:

Ninh Binh/Tam Coc was my favorite, enjoyed cycling around and climbing up the Kast, then onto the 2hr rowing boat ride through the caves and lakes.

I also did the cultural walking Tour in Hanoi and the evening walking food tour, all good (and not expensive). Hoi An was the worst place I visited, arrived on the 7am bus from Da Nang, returned on the 9am bus.

Not that much to see around Saigon, up north around Hanoi has way more stuff to do.

Mekong Delta trip, coach, cruise, rowboat, snake farm, honey farm, lunch, all tourists but very cheap and enjoyable.

P_20190406_115035 (1).jpg

P_20190406_125601.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ninh Binh/Tam Coc was my favorite, enjoyed cycling around and climbing up the Kast, then onto the 2hr rowing boat ride through the caves and lakes.

I also did the cultural walking Tour in Hanoi and the evening walking food tour, all good (and not expensive). Hoi An was the worst place I visited, arrived on the 7am bus from Da Nang, returned on the 9am bus.

Not that much to see around Saigon, up north around Hanoi has way more stuff to do.

Mekong Delta trip, coach, cruise, rowboat, snake farm, honey farm, lunch, all tourists but very cheap and enjoyable.

P_20190406_115035 (1).jpg

P_20190406_125601.jpg

Thanks again for more info!

As I said I have a mate in Saigon so will be spending a long weekend there before heading off.

We plan to primarily concentrate on the North and some Central Regions on this trip.

The scenery up North looks amazing!

10 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks again for more info!

As I said I have a mate in Saigon so will be spending a long weekend there before heading off.

We plan to primarily concentrate on the North and some Central Regions on this trip.

The scenery up North looks amazing!

Don't leave your luggage backpacks exposed.

Backpack always on the front, especially bording bus/train (a crowd of 10 will work together to push, crush and steal.

There's a public bus service at every airport to the town centre ($1-$2), no need to hire a taxi (quite often the locals at the airport will lie about the bus existing).

Money, take Thai baht and your Thai ATM card.

Buy a data sim for your phone, so Google maps will work.

Try Viet coffee, it's good but strange (strong coffee + condensed milk)

Highlands coffee, do a good coffee + baguette for a couple of dollars.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't leave your luggage backpacks exposed.

Backpack always on the front, especially bording bus/train (a crowd of 10 will work together to push, crush and steal.

There's a public bus service at every airport to the town centre ($1-$2), no need to hire a taxi (quite often the locals at the airport will lie about the bus existing).

Money, take Thai baht and your Thai ATM card.

Buy a data sim for your phone, so Google maps will work.

Try Viet coffee, it's good but strange (strong coffee + condensed milk)

Highlands coffee, do a good coffee + baguette for a couple of dollars.

Thanks again!

I guess they sell SIMs at the airport?....However, I also guessed that I would be able to hire a car! ????

At this point we are planning to enter at HCMC and Leave via same!

I read that in the past you sometimes had to leave Via The Point of Entry for Visa Purposes?

I know that things change all the time, so I will check all that out. ????

Sounds like you want to go back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks again!

I guess they sell SIMs at the airport?....However, I also guessed that I would be able to hire a car! ????

At this point we are planning to enter at HCMC and Leave via same!

I read that in the past you sometimes had to leave Via The Point of Entry for Visa Purposes?

I know that things change all the time, so I will check all that out. ????

Sounds like you want to go back!

You can enter and leave anywhere any how. I’ve left by boat , and the border crossing into Cambodia. at Ha Tien .,PS visit the Central Post Office in Saigon, it’s beautiful and built in the 1980s. The city cathedral is opposite * Notre Dame*.