Electricity Bill in my name for GF's house

Hi,

I will live in my GF's house, but will pay the electricity bill (and other utilities).

Is it possible to get the electricity bill in my name? Should we setup a faked rental contract to get this?

Reason, I need the utility bill as proof of residence for various purposes. (Certificate of residence from immi is not enough.)

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Delight said:

All utility bills are in the name of who owns the land-the house  - the condo apartment or the condo building.

This cannot be changed.

it is not in the interest of the utility company to make such a change.

I pay the electric bill for 2 houses that my wife owns by direct debit from my Thai bank account. We receive two statments from the PEA

1. This is the one the PEA guy prints with the meter reading and total cost each month, only my wifes name on this one.

2. This one is sent by post from PEA to confirm payment has been received and has my name in English the rest is in Thai. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Delight said:

All utility bills are in the name of who owns the land-the house  - the condo apartment or the condo building.

This is mostly the case, but not always. The bills can be in the name of somebody else. I know for a fact that my girlfriend's home is owned by her grandfather, but the bills are in her mom's name.

1 hour ago, Delight said:

This cannot be changed.

Can definitely be changed, just go to the local PEA office. It could of course happen that you run into problems due to being a foreigner, but for a Thai it would definitely be no problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delight said:

This cannot be changed.

I never rented a condo in Thailand, but if someone owns a condo and has a longterm tenant, the owner is always responsible for the tenants utility bills to be paid? This is quite unusual compared to other countries.

24 minutes ago, Berti said:

I never rented a condo in Thailand, but if someone owns a condo and has a longterm tenant, the owner is always responsible for the tenants utility bills to be paid? This is quite unusual compared to other countries.

Yes and no. If the bill is not paid the meter is removed. Someone has to pay to reinstall the meter, and before that happens the outstanding debt needs to be cleared.

If the owner wants to use or lease the premises then who else is left to pay?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Delight said:

This cannot be changed.

I'm not going to say the name on the bill is often changed, but it can be.

The most common reason for this is when a business leases the space and they need to include the electricity invoice in their taxable expenditure.

It's possible to change the name to that of a tenant, but the building owner needs to co-operate.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Yes and no. If the bill is not paid the meter is removed. Someone has to pay to reinstall the meter, and before that happens the outstanding balance needs to be cleared.

If the owner wants to use or lease the premises then who else is left to pay?

I think it is quite standard internationally that you bring a form to the electricity company, both the owner and the tenant sign on the form, and from the starting date entered the tenant is responsible to pay the bill, with the tenant's name on the bill.

5 hours ago, Berti said:

Hi,

I will live in my GF's house, but will pay the electricity bill (and other utilities).

Is it possible to get the electricity bill in my name? Should we setup a faked rental contract to get this?

Reason, I need the utility bill as proof of residence for various purposes. (Certificate of residence from immi is not enough.)

I don't know if would suit your purpose, but I pay my bill by Direct Debit.  The receipt (not the bill) which comes  with the next month's bill has my name as "Name of Payer" underneath "User Name" which is the condo owner.  Pattaya PEA.

• Thanks 1