How do Thais stay slim?

FruitPudding

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Is that the extent of your scientific evidence? Lol

As opposed to your amazing, measured and informed argument? Or is it just an amateurish logical fallacy?

The Appeal to the Stone Fallacy: When People Are Dismissive During Discussions. The appeal to the stone is a logical fallacy that occurs when a person dismisses their opponent's argument as absurd, without actually addressing it, or without providing sufficient evidence in order to prove its absurdity.

Thanks for playing ????

On 9/4/2023 at 1:59 AM, G Rex said:

I think it depends where you are in Thailand.

In the tourist areas there are a lot of slim, healthy looking people.

Where I live in rural Kanchanaburi, there is a very large percentage of the under 40 group who are obese, or even morbidly obese.

Young children of obese parents are invariably overweight as well.

IMO the issue is cheap fatty & fried foods, and sweet 'milky' drinks and soft drinks.

Yes.

The "I want to improve myself set" has never had access to so much good advice on nutrition and exercise. Improving themselves tends to lead them to the cities.

The "I have no interested in improving myself" set have never had so much access to cheap crap food and phone entertainment. They tend to have no interest leaving the village either.

The gap will only get wider.

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

As opposed to your amazing, measured and informed argument? Or is it just an amateurish logical fallacy?

The Appeal to the Stone Fallacy: When People Are Dismissive During Discussions. The appeal to the stone is a logical fallacy that occurs when a person dismisses their opponent's argument as absurd, without actually addressing it, or without providing sufficient evidence in order to prove its absurdity.

Thanks for playing ????

I follow what doctors and scientific researchers say.

I'm not here to debate with you on this quackery and neither of us are qualified to anyway. If we were medical practitioners, then yeah.

And you are getting your information from an amateur health guru on YouTube. You consider yourself well informed?

You really think you and I should have a debate like we are physicians? ????

Just listen to your doctor, man.

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Funny how there seems to be some paragraphs missing where you prove its quackery with science, and not just boomer-arrogance and Ive-got-a-feelingism ????

The paragraphs missing are the information you got from a chiropractor/YouTuber (in the link you provided) who informs people like he's a medical doctor.

He isn't qualified and he has been debunked by actual doctors on YouTube. You should watch those videos; they'll inform you better than I could.

Arrogance? Feelingism? Lol. I just listen to actual doctors. You think anyone on YouTube is a doctor 

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I follow what doctors and scientific researchers say.

I'm not here to debate with you on this quackery and neither of us are qualified to anyway. If we were medical practitioners, then yeah.

And you are getting your information from an amateur health guru on YouTube. You consider yourself well informed?

You really think you and I should have a debate like we are physicians? ????

The paragraphs missing are the information you got from a chiropractor/YouTuber (in the link you provided) who informs people like he's a medical doctor.

He isn't qualified and he has been debunked by actual doctors on YouTube. You should watch those videos; they'll inform you better than I could.

Arrogance? Feelingism? Lol. I just listen to actual doctors. You think anyone on YouTube is a doctor 

Why are you even replying lol, you already lost the argument. 

But I will humor you, in a hypothetical argument where you correctly argued your stance instead of what you did, which was nothing.

I am not “into” new age health BS, or spiritual gurus, alternative medicine or anything like that. Not into fad diets. However, this guy in the video is absolutely correct.

We probably have similar views, all things considered. Which is why I was showing intellectual respect to you, by challenging you to provide a source which disproved the studies on gluten, wheat allergens, gluten sensitivity and those studies all arriving at the same point. Sadly, you did not deliver and  I might have overestimated you.

Like you, I am interested in the truth; scientific truth, or historical truth or personal truth. Your refusal to even acknowledge the facts about gluten and refined flour tells me you grew up eating cereal thinking corn flakes and wheaties were healthy. Thus, the idea that you were lied to your entire life about wheat and gluten is absurd, so I understand your reluctance. It’s just misplaced unfortunately. 

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

1 hour ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Why are you even replying lol, you already lost the argument. 

But I will humor you, in a hypothetical argument where you correctly argued your stance instead of what you did, which was nothing.

I am not “into” new age health BS, or spiritual gurus, alternative medicine or anything like that. Not into fad diets. However, this guy in the video is absolutely correct.

We probably have similar views, all things considered. Which is why I was showing intellectual respect to you, by challenging you to provide a source which disproved the studies on gluten, wheat allergens, gluten sensitivity and those studies all arriving at the same point. Sadly, you did not deliver and  I might have overestimated you.

Like you, I am interested in the truth; scientific truth, or historical truth or personal truth. Your refusal to even acknowledge the facts about gluten and refined flour tells me you grew up eating cereal thinking corn flakes and wheaties were healthy. Thus, the idea that you were lied to your entire life about wheat and gluten is absurd, so I understand your reluctance. It’s just misplaced unfortunately. 

Lol, this all started with you telling another member here that he should cut out gluten (and dairy) and that he'd feel better.

The fact that you "know" he'd feel better without even testing to find out if he is gluten or lactose intolerant tells me that you are into this holistic quackery.

Also, the fact that you think this YouTube health guru (whose only qualification is chiropractic, lol) knows anything about medical conditions is also a giveaway.

The fact is: some people are gluten intolerant, others can eat it without problems. You haven't posted any facts

You are trying to pass off your own ideas and the ideas of unqualified YouTubers as facts.

You posting this nonsense is really an insult to our intelligence.

FYI, I grew up eating Coco Pops actually.

Yes, I had a childhood, and no, I did not think that kid's breakfast cereal was healthy. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like you never got out of the city. Go live in a village for a while to see a different side of Thai life. No shopping malls, 7 11, KFC or Macs.

You're just being presumptuous to think that will win your argument.  I have lived in many places in Thailand including numerous villages and they're just as inactive there,  as in the cities.  So, what you going to try next?   You going to narrow it down to a specific part of Thailand next to try and back your argument.  Just like many posters on here you think you're the only foreigner who has lived in rural part of Thailand.  And roll out the old 'the real Thailand'  chestnut????        

On 9/6/2023 at 6:20 PM, FruitPudding said:

Just my opinion but I have found doctors advice to be more wrong than right.  I have gone to multiple doctors here and they all contradict each other.  Happens back home also.  Take control of your own health using common sense.  History is rampant with doctors/experts giving terrible advice.  They always seem intent on telling me what I won't be able to do and subscribing meds.  

Where do you live?  I'm rural Thailand and the majority of the under 20 crowd is pathetically unfit. Pre-covid there were lots of outdoor activities in the evenings but after the lockdowns the kids seem to have moved on from exercising.   The locals have tried to get the kids out again with exercise events but it hasn't worked.  This is rural Thailand but it does have 7-Eleven and small food shops that the kids use.  Also very little exercise which can be seen in the thin ones.  No muscle mass and are arguably functionally worse off than the fatties,  The over 40 seems to be much healthier than the over 40 back home.  Maybe that is what you are referring to in the OP.