Monkeypox outbreak: Surge in cases among Thai teenagers

webfact

image.jpeg

The rapid spread of the Monkeypox outbreak in Thailand has escalated alarmingly in a single month with 145 new cases, taking the total tally to 316. The youngest patient is a 16 year old male student with a history of multiple sexual partners.

Dr Tharet Krasanairawiwong, Director of the Department of Disease Control, reported yesterday that the majority of the Monkeypox patients are men who have sexual intercourse with other men, accounting for 271 out of the total 316 cases, or 85.8%. Of these, 143 patients, or 45.3%, are infected with HIV. The majority of the patients are Thai nationals (277), while 36 are foreigners, and 3 have not disclosed their nationality.

Predominantly, 198 patients reside in Bangkok, followed by 22 in Chon Buri, 17 in Nonthaburi, and 12 in Samut Prakan. The majority of patients are aged between 30 and 39 years old (152 patients), followed by those aged between 20 and 29 (85 patients) and teens aged between 15 and 24 (28 patients).

by Samantha Rose 

Photo: sharp.com

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/rapid-surge-in-thailands-monkeypox-outbreak-with-alarming-rise-among-teenagers

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

Thailand sees spike in monkeypox cases, especially among teenagers

image.png

The Department of Disease Control has expressed concern over a surge in monkeypox cases in Thailand, especially among young people, as 145 new cases, including a 16-year-old boy, were recorded in August alone.

DDC Director-General Dr. Tares Krassanairawiwong cited monkeypox infection statistics yesterday (Sunday) for the past four months: 22 cases in May, 48 cases in June, 80 cases in July and 145 cases in August.

Of all the 316 cases recorded in Thailand up to August 31st, 271 are gay men, accounting for 85.8% of all infections, 143 of whom also have HIV. 277 are Thais and 36 are foreigners with three cases of unspecified nationality. One fatality was recorded.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-sees-spike-in-monkeypox-cases-especially-among-teenagers/

-- Thai PBS2023-09-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I understand that the majority are men-with-men, but there could be more clarity about the ways in which it can spread, esp. since they mention household members.

Because the picture gives me a scary feeling about the massage industry; has there been any reported connection with massage?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

more clarity about the ways in which it can spread, esp. since they mention household members.

Because the picture gives me a scary feeling about the massage industry; has there been any reported connection with massage?

How is it spread from person to person?

The virus is spread through physical contact with someone who has symptoms. Rashes, body fluids (such as fluids, pus, or blood from skin lesions), and scabs are particularly infectious

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/07/1123212

To answer your question, another quote from Link

Contact with objects that have been in contact with the infected person - such as clothing, bedding, towels - or objects such as eating utensils can also represent a source of infection.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shop mak said:

How is it spread from person to person?

The virus is spread through physical contact with someone who has symptoms. Rashes, body fluids (such as fluids, pus, or blood from skin lesions), and scabs are particularly infectious

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/07/1123212

To answer your question, another quote from Link

Contact with objects that have been in contact with the infected person - such as clothing, bedding, towels - or objects such as eating utensils can also represent a source of infection.

How about Thai coins & bills? I always wash my hands after touching money.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Great. Next date: "Undress so that I can see whether or not you have monkeypox..." (And yes, I'm referring to the 14.2% rate 'with women'.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

5 hours ago, Enzian said:

I understand that the majority are men-with-men (...)

Reminds me a bit of HIV. Reportedly, in its origin countries in Africa it is not limited to homosexuals. HIV started that way with homosexuals being the first to get it in the 1980s.

Interestingly: "... international research finds that 98% of those infected by late June (outside Africa) were gay or bi men." - Would be interesting to know how many of the 14.2% rate in Thailand ("not being homosexual") are women. Also, strange that numbers still about double every month in Thailand, while the WHO declared the end of the 'worldwide epidemic' back in June. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, placnx said:

How about Thai coins & bills? I always wash my hands after touching money.

Only prisoners use the 'Papillon' method to store their money and valuables, and only then it would make sense to wash your hands when doing a transaction with one of them...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looking at the stats around the world it seems that infections roughly double in the first 4-6 months then start dropping, so these figures are worrying but not unexpected. 

The U.K with a similar population has had over 3,500 cases and The Netherlands with a quarter of the population over 1,200. U.S. has had over 22,000 confirmed.

Still, it's something for the anti-LBGT "troupe" (sic) to clutch their pearls over I guess.  ????