Could Srettha Be Free Of Thaksin’s Influence? Academic

webfact

6 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Considering it was a toss up between a Shinawatra and Srettha for their candidate for PM - I would say it's a safe bet that the influence is there.

Shinawatra was the past.

Srettha is the present.  

As simple as that 

Pheu Thai belongs to Thaksin, he is the owner and the MPs his employees.

Settha may be a close friend of Yingluk, Thaksin's sister, but he is still an employee liable to dismissal once the boss tires of him.

In addition, he is a political novice, swimming in a sea of seasoned sharks.

Still, he's ambitious, he made it clear to PT he didn't want any position apart from PM, but how long he can stand meddling from a man jealous of anyone else's popularity ( 'Yingluk is my clone' comment), remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

If I were Srettha, I would give Thaksin a wide berth. He's a divine figure and cannot be relied upon to bring in voters to PT.

If an election were held today, PT would lose and MF would likely get more seats (although the EC might do something to rig the vote in this case).

Again if I were Srettha, I would be thinking that I want to give myself the best chance of staying in power after them next election and I would pursue populist policies in rural Thailand. I'd stay in power until the end or until I got PT's popularity back up, and then hold a snap election. In this way he might get his 8 years in.

If he courts Thaksin too closely now, he'll lose the next election, imho.

5 hours ago, bannork said:

Pheu Thai belongs to Thaksin, he is the owner and the MPs his employees.

Settha may be a close friend of Yingluk, Thaksin's sister, but he is still an employee liable to dismissal once the boss tires of him.

In addition, he is a political novice, swimming in a sea of seasoned sharks.

Still, he's ambitious, he made it clear to PT he didn't want any position apart from PM, but how long he can stand meddling from a man jealous of anyone else's popularity ( 'Yingluk is my clone' comment), remains to be seen. 

At least it will be entertaining and keep AN members occupied expounding all sort of theories for the immediate future. 

2 hours ago, retarius said:

If I were Srettha, I would give Thaksin a wide berth. He's a divine figure and cannot be relied upon to bring in voters to PT.

If an election were held today, PT would lose and MF would likely get more seats (although the EC might do something to rig the vote in this case).

Again if I were Srettha, I would be thinking that I want to give myself the best chance of staying in power after them next election and I would pursue populist policies in rural Thailand. I'd stay in power until the end or until I got PT's popularity back up, and then hold a snap election. In this way he might get his 8 years in.

If he courts Thaksin too closely now, he'll lose the next election, imho.

I think Thaksin will give himself a wide berth away from his party. His reputation as a pro-democracy figure has crumbled. His party is seen by some to have betrayed the voices of the electorate and have become a center right party. He still have the appeal and support in the North and North-East but will not do well in a general election if the election was to be held before the full term of the current government. Thaksin may well keep away from governance matter and leave that to Sretha's team. No family members even Paetongtarn was given Government House position. He is a politically savy and know his enemies will find ways to link him to the goverment which will further damage the chance of rehabilitate the party's image. He will have to keep his head low and improve his public image through charity and philanthropy work.  

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I think Thaksin will give himself a wide berth away from his party. His reputation as a pro-democracy figure has crumbled. His party is seen by some to have betrayed the voices of the electorate and have become a center right party. He still have the appeal and support in the North and North-East but will not do well in a general election if the election was to be held before the full term of the current government. Thaksin may well keep away from governance matter and leave that to Sretha's team. No family members even Paetongtarn was given Government House position. He is a politically savy and know his enemies will find ways to link him to the goverment which will further damage the chance of rehabilitate the party's image. He will have to keep his head low and improve his public image through charity and philanthropy work.  

Doubt that, the ego will over-ride any rational thought. 

• Like 1