Aesthetically pleasing roof

Rsteeltje

29 minutes ago, Rsteeltje said:

The local and not so local pigeons love to live and die on our rooftop. We have regularly enough nests, manure, carcasses etc in our gutters to start a composting business.

Looking for a company or team that can help put netting at these places were the birds gather to chill out. 

And yes, we already tried lasers, fake snakes, fireworks, mother in law etc. Nothing scare these pets away because it is such a nice roof.

If you can point me to any company that has experience with fixing netting to roofs I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

R'tje

No pics?

• Like 2

They can't be nesting on your entire roof out in the open in the heat? 

Normally they nest in corners shaded areas. 

Netting is the best method but depending on the roof material can be tough attaching can go to stores like Homepro window section.  Next option they have metal or plastic spike strips that can be placed so they can't nest they are long enough to poke their behinds. 

22 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

We tried our best to put netting to make the shaded areas not accessible but the job is too dangerous for my wife and myself. Leave one opening and they will enjoy our reluctant hospitality. Hence my request for a professional company.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

They can't be nesting on your entire roof out in the open in the heat? 

Normally they nest in corners shaded areas. 

Netting is the best method but depending on the roof material can be tough attaching can go to stores like Homepro window section.  Next option they have metal or plastic spike strips that can be placed so they can't nest they are long enough to poke their behinds. 

I have pictures somewhere of your plastic spike strips being used as the foundation of their nests ????

• Haha 2

I dont need to see it once you seen one pigeon <deleted> that is enough States we call pigeon rats with wings. But it would clear up what is your actually actual problem and why the spikes don't work. 

Another suggestion but messy,  here I'm not seen there is a sticky substance you put down in areas cause it bothers their feet.  With heat here it will dry quickly. 

You can power wash the area knock their nest down and come out daily and use a hose to scatter them away after they will find a new location hopefully your neighbors place LOL

This is surely quite a common problem, and yet the gutter fitting guys don't offer what would be a very simple and cheap addition for them to install for more profit.

Whenever we needed gutter repairs, contacting local guys always ended up with them insisting that they fit a new section, to make it worth their while. I gave up and bought scaffolding......

I had a problem in BKK with those flying rats loving the tops of my AC condensers.  I bought rolls of bare wire at the local hardware store, which were very cheap.  The width of the condensers was less than a meter so I just loosened a screw at each end, wrapped an end of the roll of bare wire around each screw and tightened the screws back up.  This put a wire "slinky" on top of each condenser, which made it impossible for the flying rats to land on the condensers, and if they did they got entangled in the loops

For a larger area use multiple coils, and for good stability clamp the coils between a couple of wood strips.

image.jpeg.e51a35b6a0182fa39a9ea3db114e714d.jpeg

Edited by HarrySeaman

4 hours ago, Rsteeltje said:

I have pictures somewhere of your plastic spike strips being used as the foundation of their nests ????

I put some of the bird spikes on top of the beams in my carport.  The birds do make nests in them.  I need to put a ceiling on it to keep the birds from nesting/pooping over the cars.

2 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I am aware of Thai's generally lacking slightly in common sense, but a farang?  The OP is asking for names of companies to help him, but he neglects to tell us his location?  Strange...

He did post in the Chiang Mai forum though.

• Thumbs Up 1

My apologise for the reading properly.  First! 

You mention CM,  another ask location with your response. 

As far as I know you might have posted CM but Asean selects your topic put it in the main Asean page with all new topic as far as I can tellisnt base on location. 

Now to your problem " gutter "

My assumption your current is metal or aluminum if you don't want to change and use current all you got to do is get chicken wire measure the width of gutter cut pieces to lay on top your current gutter there are brackets to hold them up at the tip is a bendable tab insert a bit and fold that should hold it in place. Will keep all the leaves out. 

Or you can replace the unit with PVC plastic lots more expensive buy at places like Homepro,  you lick them together like leggo,  they make a plastic screen perfectly fitted that goes on top. The last ten years slowly removing section. 

If you are lucky you can buy a strip for 350 baht it might fit on top of current gutter.

• Thanks 1

I doubt there's a business dedicated to anti-bird netting installation, so why not buy the netting yourself (online or at the home improvement stores) and approach a rain gutter shop (or 2-3) and ask them how much?

FWIW, at our house we had problems with birds at our carport, always wanting to look at their reflection in the mirrors/windows then craping on the car, we installed shiny hanging ribbons around the car that blew in the wind and the birds didn't like the distraction. Have you tried that option?

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-outdoor-decor/?q=repellent+stick

Had the same problem with the "Rats of the Sky"

Got a couple of local lads to put wire netting in the shady areas & never had any mor problems until the following year when their offspring who had I believe had been born there really tried for hours 

to tear a hole to get in. High pressure hose sorted it all out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I am aware of Thai's generally lacking slightly in common sense, but a farang?  The OP is asking for names of companies to help him, but he neglects to tell us his location?  Strange...

I thought this was the Chiang Mai forum?

15 hours ago, bbko said:

so why not buy the netting yourself (online or at the home improvement stores

The home improvement stores in my area (Pattaya) have a service desk with names & numbers of workers that can install. If you can't find a crew, maybe stop by and ask.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, brianthainess said:

It was and is a practical solution, I have no gutters and hundreds of birds, loads of trees, in my garden. My 'gutters' are ground level, black plastic covered in Hin. No need for a personal attack or bickering. 

My apology. I noticed my original post was not clear. They nest underneath the Thai style roof. So even removing the gutters will not stop them from doing that.