Change of Visa in Chiang Mai, is an appointment possible?

I'll be arriving in Chiang Mai on a 30 day visa free entry that I want to change as soon as possible to a Non-O visa due to retirement.

Can I make a booking with Chiang Mai immigration or do I just have to turn up and queue?

I can see the option for retirement purpose but not for change of Visa

Sadly, for you there is no appointment option for applying for applying for a non-immigrant type visa inside the country at the Chiang Mai immigration office.

It is not an option you can select from.

Remember they require a minimum of 15 working days left on your current entry stamp to apply for an in-country non-immigrant type visa (which is really about 21 calendar days)

So whatever visa category you're going to apply for up there, you need to get after it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, briley said:

I'll be arriving in Chiang Mai on a 30 day visa free entry that I want to change as soon as possible to a Non-O visa due to retirement

You need to do that very early after arrival. 

As pointed out CM require 21 days remaining on your entry stamp.

Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only.

800k baht in bank the day you apply for Non O

Also obtain a TM87 form .

TM30 etc

Edited by DrJack54

Welcome back Briley.

Note: If your 800,000 baht has been in the bank for some time it can still be used to obtain the Non-Imm visa.

If not, you have to show that any new entry has come from abroad.

I know you've lived in Chiang Mai for more years than either of us care to remember, did you 'remove' your money before leaving Thailand?

Thanks for the information,

Yes I still have my 800,000 Baht, unfortunately my wife was on a dependence visa that appears to be impossible to do in the country so she'll have to have her own 800K.

Covid has a lot o answer for ..........

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to do that very early after arrival. 

As pointed out CM require 21 days remaining on your entry stamp.

Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only.

800k baht in bank the day you apply for Non O

Also obtain a TM87 form .

TM30 etc

He is arriving on a 30 day free visa he needs a tourist visa before he arrives....... 

26 minutes ago, arick said:

He is arriving on a 30 day free visa he needs a tourist visa before he arrives....... 

It's not a 30 day free visa.

It's not a visa. Just a 30 day permission of stay.

He can obtain a non O from "conversion" from visa exempt entry. He will need a TM87 and meet financial requirements.

If he requires more time prior to non O application he can obtain 30 day extension 

• Confused 1

English is a horrid language,

30 day visa free entry - able to enter the country without a visa

30 day free visa entry - has a visa that cost nothing

So similar wording but meaning such different things. Sorry for any confusion.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, briley said:

30 day visa free entry - able to enter the country without a visa

30 day free visa entry - has a visa that cost nothing

So similar wording but meaning such different things. Sorry for any confusion.

Not at all.

In your examples ...

Visa exempt or some post visa waiver is a stamp that provides 30 day permission of stay.

Your second example "30 day visa entry " does not exist..

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, briley said:

I fly

you fly

they fly

He flies

She flies

I have no idea why but my 18 year old niece accepted it easier than I - - we both laughed. 

If you are coming to Thailand to retire, welcome and just accept that you may not understand everything that goes on - - but smile. 

ps - there are agents who will handle the process and advise as well for a nominal fee... 

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

ps - there are agents who will handle the process and advise as well for a nominal fee... 

I am not advocating against the use of agents. However, if you do use one, insist on copies of everything submitted to Immigration. Read and understand everything, and tie it together with the stickers and stamps in your passport.

Many people using agents have not got the foggiest notion of what the agent did for them, and that can lead to disaster.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am not advocating against the use of agents. However, if you do use one, insist on copies of everything submitted to Immigration. Read and understand everything, and tie it together with the stickers and stamps in your passport.

Many people using agents have not got the foggiest notion of what the agent did for them, and that can lead to disaster.

yeah thanks - I have been using a legit agent for over 10 years... all is fine.