Banglamung District Chief Inspects Pattaya Floating Market After Fire

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — Pattaya authorities are inspecting the Pattaya Floating Market where a large fire broke out last night, September 7th.

Mr. Phit Sirisawatnukul, the Banglamung District Chief, led a team to inspect the tourist landmark today, after a fire erupted about 8 PM last night.

Mr. Phit revealed to The Pattaya News that flames had destroyed the central zone of the market, resulting in damage to over 70 shops, covering one section of the 19-rai (14,400-square-metre) land plots.

image.jpeg

The heaviest damage occurred in the northern zone of the four-zoned markets. This area primarily consisted of artisan shops, food stalls, and traditional massage parlors.

Hundreds of affected operators were present at the market to inspect their shops, most of which had been reduced to mere charred ruins. 

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/09/08/update-banglamung-district-chief-inspects-pattaya-floating-market-after-fire/

-- THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-09-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the Fire Department approved the structures when they were completed, to determine if they complied with the Fire Code.  Checking to insure there are fire alarms, fire detection devices, fire fighting equipment, like fire extinguishers.

No tourist attraction or structure should be allowed to open without meeting the Fire Code, or at least obtain permission from the local fire department that it meets or exceeds fire safety standards.  If there is no such building or occupancy code in Thailand, then their insurance policy should have had such a requirement. If the owner didn't have insurance for the fire, I guess all those who lost property or were injured in the fire can sue the owner.

12 hours ago, kennw said:

Then why repeat folly, try something new.

The tourists generally like it but I think its only them that do. I took my daughter there last summer and she wanted an ice cream. the cheapest one I could find was 90 baht, they are only 15 baht at the 7-11.