Have I Missed the Boat ?

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

You are no one to judge others and you don't know the whole history only the snap shot he wrote. Your comments are pathetic but usual for you.

I didn't write the OP.

ONE thing stands out....

"We have NEVER lived together" 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

IF the mother will marry you and let you live in her house. The marriage visa is the way to go. I live rural and have an income of 40,000/month and rarely spend that much even paying for one of my wife's sister twin daughters though the university.  But if you are going to live in a city and pay rent, that would be very tough.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

Interesting read, exactly what do the commentors consider to be ideal finances to move to Thailand? He says he has 9 Million Baht and 40,000 baht per month pension at 70 years old, that's probably more than most of the people posting here have, otherwise what are they using agents for? Personally, he should leave the 9 million in his home country gaining interest at 5%+, or invest in stocks, and moving some of that interest over every year, the interest alone is almost as much as his pension, which would give him almost 80,000 baht per month at current rates.

You forgot to figure in Inflation.  This year the ATO indexed CPI at 7.6%.  So if his 9M capital was invested at 5% he would actually be losing 2.6% or 234K THB per year.  Over ten years that is 2.34 Million baht loss.

That said.  He has enough money.  A mate of mine is living off just the Oz pension, with a missus and a toddler (he is in his 70s).  They rent a reasonable home and have a new car on finance.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Seriously?

The wife and daughter are Thai.

And no way would want to live in Laos.

Also the OP has much cheaper option to live in Thailand being married to Thai national.

Annual Extension 1900 baht with easy financials.

He could though. Only a part time marriage.

16 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You forgot to figure in Inflation.  This year the ATO indexed CPI at 7.6%.  So if his 9M capital was invested at 5% he would actually be losing 2.6% or 234K THB per year.  Over ten years that is 2.34 Million baht loss.

That said.  He has enough money.  A mate of mine is living off just the Oz pension, with a missus and a toddler (he is in his 70s).  They rent a reasonable home and have a new car on finance.

Your quoting buying power in your comments, he wouldnt lose anything other than opportunity value. 

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

That doesnt make sense. Inflation changes all the time and living in Thailand he pays Thai prices.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Your quoting buying power in your comments, he wouldnt lose anything other than opportunity value. 

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

That doesnt make sense. Inflation changes all the time and living in Thailand he pays Thai prices.

I don't think the whole "masters of the universe" schtick really works in the OPs case but do carry on if you insist.

By that I mean Dan O!

Edited by In the jungle

12 hours ago, lolex said:

I need some good advice.

I fear I might have "missed the boat" as far as making a move to Thailand. I had planned to move 7 or so years ago ...and I kept abreast of ThaiVisa and government requirements for retired folk living in LOS until about 5 or so years ago. ThaiVisa is AseanNow ....and, somehow, I find it more difficult to find the info I'm looking for....that's probably my fault !

So some background. I'm 72. Australian. I have a luuk kreung daughter who is 11 years old and a Thai wife. We've never lived together but we get on well when I've stayed for a few months. I'm still working ( to generate money to help maintain my superannuation. )

Now I could sell up in Australia...raise around B9m and get a pension of about B40,000 per month. But if I live another 15 years the capital might not last long enough to leave some money to my daughter

I understand about the marriage visa and reporting requirements. That's ok. Two things I don't understand.

First...medical insurance or self-insurance. I think you can self-insure by putting B1m in a bank account. But what happens if you need to use half of it for a heart attack? Do you have to replenish it? And will they chuck you out if you can't top it back up. (The prices for annual insurance over 70 appear exorbitant.)

Second, the Government seems to have been becoming less and less welcoming and comfortable with ordinary farangs (as opposed to super wealthy ones) in the last 10 years. It could change with the new Government, but who knows which way? I worry that the government might continue raising the bar until I'm no longer able to stay (but I've burned my boats in Australia).

Any good information and sound thoughts appreciated !

You would need a lot more than 1mil baht, itself insure. 

A heart attack would cost you far far more than 500,000baht,in a Thai hospital.. 

Your 40,000 baht month income, would not be sufficient to support a wife and a child, as well. 

Your 9mill baht savings may last last 20 years if you are careful and not buy house for Thai wife or family etc etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You have to have a free to marry document certified by the Australian Embassy to marry here.  So no such thing as a secret marriage.

As the freedom to marry documents expire after three months, plus the fact you can use any Amphur to marry; I think it highly unlikely the Embassy will be trawling through every one of them, looking for every application to catch anyone out. 

However, returning to Australia as a couple in any circumstances would be likely to bring on an avalanche of undesirable woes....... 

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

At 72 I don't think the op has much future to worry about.

Live everyday like you would live forever, I'm confident and positive that will give you a lot more pleasure than living like everyday is the last? 

Just a positive outlook helps

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Live everyday like you would live forever, I'm confident and positive that will give you a lot more pleasure than living like everyday is the last? 

Just a positive outlook helps

Set goals like you will live forever

Live each day like it's your last

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Set goals like you will live forever

Live each day like it's your last

Harmony and moderation make for a happier life

I lived my life like it was my last to my 36. Birthday, and still on my motorbike, I know it could be.my very last day, still, I'm not to stupid, but make room for another day as well.

• Sad 1