Have I Missed the Boat ?

13 hours ago, lolex said:

Now I could sell up in Australia...raise around B9m and get a pension of about B40,000 per month. But if I live another 15 years the capital might not last long enough to leave some money to my daughter

Honestly OP, with these numbers,  i'm afraid there  never was any boat to be  missed. Move  to Armidale, get your family over and enjoy the rest of your life under Medicare. 

I am always staggered by the extent to which geezers underestimate the rate at which healthcare costs increase as one ages. Simply do not come to Thailand with a proper western style health cover, in OP's case this is only available in Australia. Remember he is 72.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

OP: If you are able to live at partners place rent free, then IMO 40K per month is enough for reasonable standard of day to day living. I assuume at your age you have no desire to out to bars and so on on a regular basis. I understand foreigners living in Thailand on a marriage visa do not need medical insurance. At your age I would would recommend you make a Living Will (do not resuscitate) if you have a heart attack / stroke so money left available for wife/daughter. Last, but not least, make sure partner and daughter are comfortable for you to live with them - probably a good idea to visit Thailand for 2/3 months before making final decision.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lolex said:

Now I could sell up in Australia...raise around B9m and get a pension of about B40,000 per month.

Have a listen to this video, as you may not be aware that there is a thing called Deeming, if you decide not to sell up, then there is the Capital Gains Tax situation for Non-Residents you would have to consider.

You can find out information on that on the ATO's website.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/deeming?context=22526

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

Or just live in Laos on the other side of the Friendship Bridge.  A 'retirement' visa costs $750 a year through an agent, no medical insurance or money in the bank required.

Thanks for the information, in the near future if the O visa leads to an increase in demands in financial terms, looking beyond the friendship bridge will become interesting for many.

What worries me is time is against you.

Inflation will probably be higher than your pension rise as South Asian economies are catching up with China and the rest of the world.

40k for a familly is really not much and I can't imagine in 2030.

I would work and save for as long as your health allows you to do it while keeping your Australian healthcare. The family visa should be ok for regular visits and I don't see it becoming very expensive to maintain in the future as the spirit of those visas in any country is to make family life easier (retirement visas on the other hand will be harder without a doubt). What will be key is how you reinvest the money from your house. Having 5/6% on that money without touching the capital would add up a lot to your pension and could pay for some insurance while giving you some leverage against inflation. 

You can sell and rent a minimal accomodation while you still work. By doing that, you can save extra money while preparing a good end of life plan.

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

Yet again you ask inappropriate and frankly bloody nosy questions.  

It's not your OP and I don't consider it an inappropriate question, it is all relevant, ''to have I missed the boat''  IMO as to whether he can afford to live here or not on his pension. 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have a listen to this video, as you may not be aware that there is a thing called Deeming, if you decide not to sell up, then there is the Capital Gains Tax situation for Non-Residents you would have to consider.

You can find out information on that on the ATO's website.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/deeming?context=22526

While I don't dispute this, I sold my house in OZ, put the money in my bank, have moved most of it here and never had to pay any capital gains tax. No money was owed on it.

23 hours ago, lolex said:

B9m and get a pension of about B40,000 per month

IGNORE all the ????s saying it's not enough, you are poor(er than them)
my wife and i never spend 40k in a month on living expenses
last year i sold all my condos, sold my nice big pool villa
i purchased 7 Rai of land for 3m baht (you wont need 7 rai, 1 rai should be plenty as you are too old to care for it)
i built a house for 1m baht (i dont advise this though lol)
i spent 1m baht on getting a well with tower, landscaping and solar (only solar need be)
we have no bills, and we grow food and have chooks and only expect to have more and more food and animals as time goes by
9m Baht is a great start, buy a house with a decent size garden, get solar installed even if only for daytime
give the 40k/month to the wife and she will make sure all is taken care of
and start looking after your health

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, patman30 said:

IGNORE all the ????s saying it's not enough, you are poor(er than them)
my wife and i never spend 40k in a month on living expenses
last year i sold all my condos, sold my nice big pool villa
i purchased 7 Rai of land for 3m baht (you wont need 7 rai, 1 rai should be plenty as you are too old to care for it)
i built a house for 1m baht (i dont advise this though lol)
i spent 1m baht on getting a well with tower, landscaping and solar (only solar need be)
we have no bills, and we grow food and have chooks and only expect to have more and more food and animals as time goes by
9m Baht is a great start, buy a house with a decent size garden, get solar installed even if only for daytime
give the 40k/month to the wife and she will make sure all is taken care of
and start looking after your health

That's a lot of investments if he have to start all over again for some reasons! 

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That's a lot of investments if he have to start all over again for some reasons! 

Perhaps the OP can sell ALL his Condos and his BIG Pool villa. 

Buy some land (in wife name) along with some solar panels and hens. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lolex said:

I am in daily contact with "wife and daughter via Line. I spend 5 mins to an hour on the video calls with my daughter every day.

You haven't mentioned how often you visit Thailand.

BTW: if you sell up your assets in Oz better option than banks etc is to place those funds into your super fund.

You can make your own contributions up to $100k aud per calendar year and can consolidate that into 300k in one year then nothing for following 2 years.

You also did not mention if wife has any land.

You can build modest house for 1 million baht..

That would be option rather than lock all funds into Super. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 3

If it were me I would just move to Thailand, live on the 40k, and not sell the property on oz (or rent it out via a property manager), and put 800k in for the retirement visa.

If there is a medical emergency just tap the retirement funds for payment, get care in Thailand, and return to oz if needed to the property you have.

I would not sell the property. At 72 you may need to move back and you will be stuck if something weird happens and not have a place. At 72 it’s going to be hard to buy another place.

Early wills don’t work for most people. Most run out of money. That’s “life”. Why not leave the house in oz to the daughter?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:06 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

I agree that health insurance will be very expensive and keeping a fund to pay for your healthcare is the way to go. However, I don't understand what you mean by "will they chuck you out if...". There is no immigration requirement to keep B1m for "self-insurance". The requirements are 800k for retirement purposes or 400k for marriage. If you can't maintain those amounts then you are liable to be refused an extension when you next apply. 40k a month is not much to keep a wife and child on and have any sort of lifestyle, unless your wife is contributing.

Diversing a little, I have had health insurance (do not need it for my visa) from before I was 60 with Bupa Thailand, they were were taken over by Aetna, same schedule number, policy just carried on, I have reached 70 and this week a letter saying they will no longer insure me?? Not Aetna but Allianz Ayudha.

• Sad 1