Foreigners running workshops/seminars in Koh Phangan - do they need work permit?

It depends on WHO is organising the workshop. I've done short workshops for government agencies. WP has never been required. And I'm quite sure the government is well aware of WP policies for foreigners. 

But if those folks are "working for themselves" in the Island, then yes they should have a WP - for any kind of work, even non-paid work. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why does it matter, are you assuming that they don't have work permits?  Are you planning on reporting them?

Is it even possible to get a Non-B visa and work permit for such kind of "work"?

It is possible to qualify for an exemption.  Is you're plan to report these people about whom you're enquiring?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Kom Phangan seems like a free haven for now, with many foreigners (mostly Russians I asume) selling their designs all over the place, and do bar work, dj, and more 

We will see how long it last. Phuket used to be like that before, Koh Tao as well, now  Koh Phangan the last place I know is like that so officially 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Section 5 of the Foreigners Working Management Emergency Decree (2017) states:

“work” means the use of physical strength or knowledge for engaging in an occupation or a job with or without an intention to obtain wages or any other benefit...

Where is the definition of "occupation" or "job" then?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is possible to qualify for an exemption.  Is you're plan to report these people about whom you're enquiring?

I'm not going to report anyone. You think the authorities are so stupid and don't have a clue what's happening there? Or there are not enough "concerned citizens" who could report them?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Kom Phangan seems like a free haven for now, with many foreigners (mostly Russians I asume) selling their designs all over the place, and do bar work, dj, and more 

We will see how long it last. Phuket used to be like that before, Koh Tao as well, now  Koh Phangan the last place I know is like that so officially 

From my experience, it's mostly westerners who do that. Russians are a minority.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I recall sometime back an easing of TR visa was announced that would allow speakers to fly in and do a conference without work permit.

In my mind this is completely different from those living on island of misfit toys and selling ridiculous Reiki, *yoga* courses and work-begging fire twirling sticks, etc. Of course, Muay Thai and massage would be off limits courses taught by farang. Yes, imo very necessary.

• Like 1