Foreigners running workshops/seminars in Koh Phangan - do they need work permit?

17 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

I believe that is for attending, not running/organising

I recall it was for speakers but a one off. The way I understood it would be for a speaker to fly in - definitely not covering people organizing, promoting, profiting from the event. People living in Thailand and especially those not on B or even O visa

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are those organisers not attending?  I don't see any distinction made in the exemption regs.

Very true, but it does mention "any foreigner entering into Thailand to organize or attend any meeting or share any opinion or give a lecture or demonstration at any meeting or training or; aiming a visit or participating in a seminar are now no longer required to have a Thai Work Permit for such purposes."

To me this would mean that it was a kind of "one-off" thing, not a regular and/or permanent thing, as most of these hippy communes seem to be

4 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Go and arrest everyone running workshops in Phangan.

They will. Indeed, they will. They not even need arrest. Just round up, grab the brown envelope and move on to next idiot.

What sort of people and courses? New age mumbo jumbo

$$$

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

Why would I need an employer (or employees) to run my own workshop?

Because you cannot obtain a B visa otherwise. It must be done thru a Thai company or organization

There are no "independent contractor" B visas

2 minutes ago, Jelli said:

If you are on anything but a B or an O and working - you're illegal. Plain, simple

It's the matter of interpretation what "working" means. And what is actually considered "working" by the authorities. Somehow I doubt that anyone running seminars in Phangan has a work permit. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I'm not going to report anyone. You think the authorities are so stupid and don't have a clue what's happening there? Or there are not enough "concerned citizens" who could report them?

It is up to a point where locals benefits from the status q, until the more established have concerns about what's going on. 

52 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Where is the definition of "occupation" or "job" then?

It's a good question, but Thai law doesn't go that route. Firstly Thai law defines work. The definition of work has been in existence for the last 45 years when the Foreigners Employment Act in Thailand (1978) became law.

Once the definition of work was made, the Foreigners Employment Act in Thailand (1978) stated in section 7 that (with some limited exceptions) a work permit is required to engage in work:

...an alien may engage in any work which is not prohibited by the Royal Decree issued under section 6 only upon receipt of a permit from the Director-General or official entrusted by the Director-General...

That's the route Thai law has taken. It doesn't need to define job or occupation.

As you can see, this law is not additive, it is deductive. This means the Labour Department does not have to list all types of work or labour that are regulated. Instead it is a matter for them to decide which acts a foreigner does that they will not consider to be work.

The law allows the Department of Labour complete discretion over what they deem to be offences, what they deem to be work and who they decide to prosecute or not prosecute.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JoseThailand said:

It's the matter of interpretation what "working" means. And what is actually considered "working" by the authorities. Somehow I doubt that anyone running seminars in Phangan has a work permit. 

Yes, it is champ. But guess what it's not YOUR interpretation it's ...

The police

The courts

The Immigration officers

But you - not your interpretation. But hey, give it a go. Must be a fortune teaching torch spinning, circus tricks and Reiki

22 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Very true, but it does mention "any foreigner entering into Thailand to organize or attend any meeting or share any opinion or give a lecture or demonstration at any meeting or training or; aiming a visit or participating in a seminar are now no longer required to have a Thai Work Permit for such purposes."

To me this would mean that it was a kind of "one-off" thing, not a regular and/or permanent thing, as most of these hippy communes seem to be

Can you give a link to the law where that is stated please.

5 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Where do I say about MY interpretation? I said it's about the authorities' interpretation. 

Indeed.

As everyone but especially Blackcab has pointed out you're on shaky ground to start.

Best of luck. You'll need it when you're getting shaken down.

But as I have stated without an o or a B Visa regardless of what you believe you are illegal if you're working. . End of story

If you are so clear on this issue why do you keep going on about it?

Edited by Jelli
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

No, Working is defined in the labor law, which is very clear and leaves no room for interpretation. 

Yes, most of them are working illegally.

Look like you keep asking to find somebody to tell you that you can it legally, which you can't they way you like to do it. For a work permit you need either being employed or have your own business.

To get a work permit for while having your own business you need to employ 4 Thai staff for each foreigner you employ, including yourself.