A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

How could you doubt anything about anyone you don't know? Yes, I knew about Thai and it's ways, but came here to take care of my now ex wife and my daughter. Going back home to the US as soon as possible is because of seeing it more firsthand. It's not a good place for little, or for that matter, big girls. Thailand tries to learn from other countries for decades, and adopts some of their ways, but prejudice handed down from generations has slowed this progress. There's a reason thousands of locals have moved out and never came back. And it's not only because of money.

Of course it's because of money, and they don't really want to be rice or rubber farmers - they will. of course, scuttle back for the 'culture' at New Year, Songkran and big Buddha holidays.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Then 3 months later you whinge about US

I lived there 62 years, and never whined about anything. It's a much better place to raise children, and their opportunities are a thousand fold greater. Isaan is boring. The islands are nice, but I live 8 hours away and none of my hobbies I can enjoy here.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

I lived there 62 years, and never whined about anything. It's a much better place to raise children, and their opportunities are a thousand fold greater. Isaan is boring. The islands are nice, but I live 8 hours away and none of my hobbies I can enjoy here.

Move to islands. Sisaket is crap.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, bignok said:

Rule 1 dont pay for house not your name

Rule 2 never trust a female

Rule 3 see rules 1 and 2

I don't rent, unless to own as I will when I move back. I live in the house I built because I paid for it, but when I leave it's worthless as it's on government land, and I always trust my partner unless they prove otherwise. Some are worthy of trust. Here, it's not easy to find one.

• Like 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

I don't rent, unless to own as I will when I move back. I live in the house I built because I paid for it, but when I leave it's worthless as it's on government land, and I always trust my partner unless they prove otherwise. Some are worthy of trust. Here, it's not easy to find one.

Took me a week to find a good one

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mike111 said:

Eventually she said "I give you money back". I said I can just get other items instead but she insisted I just get the money & leave the shop, as a punishment for my wrongdoings.

and no doubt muttered 'good riddance' (in Thai of course) 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

1) Shop staff have authority to take your money but not the authority to give you money .

2) Business electronic register does not a method for staff, without authority, to key in anything other than retail sales

Very true, but as the OP said, it is the attitude of some assistants that is questionable. Many times I have gone into some store and asked for something or some service and the staff member starts waving his/her arms about shouting No! No! when all that's required is a "sorry we don't have any" or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mike111 said:

Then I insisted

OP:

By any chance, did your "insisting" include leaping over the counter, knocking over display cases, trying to smash the cash register open, taking hostages, or threatening to fire bomb the store?

It just sounds a little bit like you you might be leaving out a few details about what role you perhaps played in the escalation.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bignok said:

The west is boring. Thats why you came the first time.

No, I came, as I stated, for my ex and child. The west is anything but boring. There are more things to do in just one coastal state than all of Thailand. I know some don't enjoy the hobbies I have, but there isn't much to do here you can't do in a years time. If you love the beach, then that's a legitimate reason. Isaan is another story.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, mike111 said:

. I didn't ask for a refund, just to exchange for something else. Why is this considered "bothering" the shop staff is beyond comprehension.

Sales are all computerised these days , all the sales are logged

Just exchanging for something else will mess up their inventory , 7/11 would have had scan the items at the till to register them being sold , you just taking items would have been theft and the shop assistant would have been complicit in  the theft had she allowed you to take them .

She did the right thing by scanning the returned goods and then scanning the sold goods , otherwise the records will show one bag of bin liners not in stock and whatever you took without paying still being in stock

• Thumbs Up 2

7/11 return policy:

Returns & Exchanges Guidance

Your item must be in its original unused condition to be returned, unless there is a manufacturer defect. You must return the item within 30 days of your purchase. Discounted sale items and gift cards are final and cannot be returned or exchanged.

To determine if you are eligible for a return, follow the steps below:

1. Email [email protected] with your Order Number and specify which product you would like to return. We will get back to you as soon as possible with return instructions.

2. Once the return has been received by our warehouse, a refund will be issued.

If you're looking to exchange an item, follow the steps above and place a brand new order!

*Some items may not be eligible for returns or exchanges. Items stated as final sale are unable to be returned or exchanged.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Sounds to be more a you problem than a Thailand problem.

You reap what you sow as they say.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7/11 return policy...

1. Email [email protected] with your Order Number and specify which product you would like to return. We will get back to you as soon as possible with return instructions.

2. Once the return has been received by our warehouse, a refund will be issued.

If you're looking to exchange an item, follow the steps above and place a brand new order!

*Some items may not be eligible for returns or exchanges. Items stated as final sale are unable to be returned or exchanged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Sounds to be more a you problem than a Thailand problem.

You reap what you sow as they say.

No, it's a here problem. I lived in the US for 62 years, and didn't have any of this kind of problem. I bought my house, I owned it. I wanted to get a job, I could anytime. A foreigner can go to the US and get work, buy land and run for president.  I drove there from age 16 to 62, only had a couple of accidents, and only the first was my fault. Here, up to 75 die daily on the roads, because , unlike in the states, the laws aren't enforced. Schools taught you, and if you didn't care to learn, you failed, and not promoted until you went to summer school or repeated that grade. You had hobbies, you have 50 states to pursue them. I always treated any woman I was with with love, loyalty and respect. I did that here, and was lied to, abused and had my daughter kidnapped and held until I filed for divorce. In America, she would be jailed and only had  supervised visitation. I paid and received child support. Only farangs pay child support here. You don't pay, you go to jail like my ex did.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3