Rare case about VAT refund

longngo217

Hi everyone, as far as I know, we can do VAT refund at the airport as long as the product is purchased within certain of days before leaving Thailand. I'm planning to buy an iPhone and a Macbook as gifts for my sister then claim for VAT refunds at the airport (I did it before when I bought myself an iPhone). However, this time I'm going to pay for the phone and Macbook with monthly payments by credit card so I'm not sure if I still can apply for the VAT refund. Hopefully someone has done this before and can share the valuable information about this.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why do you think that buying with a credit card be an issue?   The VAT refund scheme does not depend on the method of payment.

I know but this time I will purchase with monthly payment by credit card. So I'm not sure if it's allowed for VAT refund or not.

40 minutes ago, longngo217 said:

I know but this time I will purchase with monthly payment by credit card. So I'm not sure if it's allowed for VAT refund or not.

Is this some installment plan thru the seller where they charge your card each month?

In that case, sure, you'll get your VAT back, but only the amount you actually paid. 

You prolly won't get a refund for future VAT payments.

12 hours ago, longngo217 said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why do you think that buying with a credit card be an issue?   The VAT refund scheme does not depend on the method of payment.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean?  If you're buying an item with a credit card your card/bank is paying the retailer the full amount and you repay the credit card debt.   Are you saying that you are actually buying the items on deferred terms arranged by the retailer and if that's the case how do you do that as a tourist?

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What could the receipt "say" apart from evidencing the purchase and payment?

When I bought from Apple in the US, using their free monthly payment system, they charged the full amount of sales tax up front, and the receipt shows it. If they do the same for VAT in Thailand then the monthly payments won't enter into it.

My receipt from June, including the (outrageous) sales tax:

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 5.43.52 AM.png

On 9/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, longngo217 said:

Is not the monthly payments between you and the credit card company? Between you and the shop the product is payed in full + the VAT payed as well.. So you should be able to get it back in that case.