American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

snoop1130

From link below.

4. Her parents are nakhon rural people near the Laos border. Not farmers, they work for a shipping business

Work.

Don't own the shipping company.

Link to the redditt article

2059244649_Screenshot_20230913-211254_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.45ace3f81dcb464cc948ac18b64b9f8a.jpg

Edited by Shop mak
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Offer 2m cos she's so special, but you need time to sell your house back home ....... bang her for a year, then confess you don't have the money so you'll have to call off the wedding.

They'll agree cos they're greedy.

Yep, and he will be the safest man on the planet after that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The normal solution for this kind of demand, for Thais and farangs alike, is to negotiate with the parents for the family to put up the sinsod for show at the wedding ceremony, and then take the money back themselves once the ceremony is done. That way, face is satisfied.

The fact the Redditor involved is apparently unaware that such arrangements are common here is seemingly a bad sign for his familiarity with Thailand and Thai customs.

Of course, the daughter could instead end up with a Thai husband up in Isan, who like too many stories reported in the news here over the years, will repeatedly cheat on her with other women, do drugs and drink to excess, become insanely jealous, and ultimately beat/attack her causing serious bodily harm.

But hey, it's their daughter, and the parents can decide.

They may be a little too focused on the immediate financial gain to consider their daughters future happiness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't know this was still a thing in Thailand.. I knew a guy about 20 years ago that did this. I was invited to the wedding. Great time, but the mother in law was a complete tool. Guy seemed happy to dish out millions of Baht.  I asked the guy that owned the hall where the reception was held in Pattaya. He just chuckled and said these guys were a dime a dozen and their retirement money was pouring threw their hands so fast they would be back in their home country without a dime in a few months.. 

Really it is a joke in this day and time. With all the stats and books on the subject!  Amazing guys still fall for this scam.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Cheap Charlie indeed, you see some 17 years back over dinner one night at a restaurant in my home country, I said to my Thai girlfriend at the time who was from Issan, now my wife, who was holidaying with me at the time. How much do you want for Sin Sot, she said, oh, you know about Thai culture, I said a little, she said; up to you, I said no, come on, how much, she said ok, a million baht, I said, no way, too much, she said with a smile on her face, ok, up to you then, I said 200k baht, she said, up to you, ok, I said hang on, 200k will be for your parents and 300k will be for your twins who were 2 at the time.

She had that dumb Thai look on her face, and I swear if she wasn't as pretty as she was, I would have slapped her. I repeated, 200k is for mum and dad, 300k baht is for the boys education, it will go in your bank account and no one will touch it, not even you without me knowing, she was starting to chock up and I told her to cut it out and of course the 500k could be shown at the wedding for face. She still has at least 150k baht of that money in the bank.

Her parents have not asked me for one baht all these years and they are poor.

My sister in law asked my wife if she could loan her 300k baht for her Sin Sot because her husband, now X only gave 200k baht and she wanted to match her sisters Sin Sot, so I accommodated her request and got the 300k baht back straight after the wedding.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to ones financial position and how much they are prepared to put forward or lose as others would say.

Since then she's had a big house built on her land, a nice car and all the other things that go in a marriage, that said, she's still a plain village girl who counts every baht and doesn't break my balls asking me for money, and of course takes real good care of me, so there are some real gems out there that are worth their weight in gold, just have to filter through them and their families, too bad there are a lot of Cheap Charlie's about, not being one to judge of course :stoner:

So you are a legend then?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

So, my wife is not average then she had hardly 100 baht, working at a university does not make much money. I paid 20.000 baht and got most of it back. Now she makes about 40.000 AUD per month. On top of my pension.

Hmm.... what is your wife doing to get paid 40k per month?

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The normal solution for this kind of demand, for Thais and farangs alike, is to negotiate with the parents for the family to put up the sinsod for show at the wedding ceremony, and then take the money back themselves once the ceremony is done. That way, face is satisfied.

The fact the Redditor involved is apparently unaware that such arrangements are common here is seemingly a bad sign for his familiarity with Thailand and Thai customs.

Of course, the daughter could instead end up with a Thai husband up in Isan, who like too many stories reported in the news here over the years, will repeatedly cheat on her with other women, do drugs and drink to excess, become insanely jealous, and ultimately beat/attack her causing serious bodily harm.

But hey, it's their daughter, and the parents can decide.

I think some people rent the gold to show at the ceremony then return it afterwards.

• Confused 1

SINSOD, a part of the Thai wedding ceremony.

But what does it mean?

It should show that the husband is rich, has a lot of money. He should show it, so that all the guests should think: oooh, what a rich man, good for the bride (and the family). If true or not, that is not important. The guests should believe it. It's a bragging ceremony, bragging about something what isn't reality. In most cases the money has been borrowed from friends, relatives or the bank. After the marriage it has to be returned, as reported here in some/most cases.

When I read about this custom then I ask myself: why don't they put the bride in a showroom of a shop with a tag: 1m, 1.5m, 2m etc. ?

If I would be the groom I would buy fake banknotes - 5m ☺️.