Whole wheat bread from Makro

SAFETY FIRST

49 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I had a favorite bread shop on Soi Buakhao but I'm sure there's a witch working there, such a nasty woman.

So, I tried the whole wheat bread from Makro.

OMG, it's sweetened, I can taste the sugar.
These idiots, putting sugar in whole wheat/wholegrain bread, it really ticks me OFF.

Anyone else tasting the sweetened bread 

Go to Foodland on Klang. 
Makro is not for the discerning 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I had a favorite bread shop on Soi Buakhao but I'm sure there's a witch working there, such a nasty woman.

So, I tried the whole wheat bread from Makro.

OMG, it's sweetened, I can taste the sugar.
These idiots, putting sugar in whole wheat/wholegrain bread, it really ticks me OFF.

Anyone else tasting the sweetened bread 

You could try asking the baker to make a special unsugared loaf for you. Failing that you could try buying bread at another bakery store.

Or you could buy the ingredients and mix them up and make your own whole wheat bread, be it in a pot, oven or breadmaker machine.

Thats all I can suggest to overcome this dilemma.

Edited by freeworld
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

4 cups of bread flour, 320mil of water,  2 teaspoons of oil, salt to taste, 1/2 sachet of dried yeast.

5 minutes in a bowl with the dough hook on your cheap as chips mixer from Lazada. Cover the bowl with a 7/11 carrier bag and leave it in the sun for an hour. Put the mix into one of those rubber loaf tins, and give it 30 minutes in the space ship oven (halogen oven).

1 loaf costs about half what a Macro/ Lotus/ Farmhouse loaf does. You control the salt content, you can add sugar if you like. If I am feeling exotic I sometimes add a dash of honey.

You had me until the 'rubber loaf tin' - explain please. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since many, many years I order my dark (healthy)  German bread from a German Bakery in Chiang Mai. I enjoy the High quality, excellent service. etc. Google: Jo's Bakery.

Because i live 4 hours (by car) away of Chiang Mai I order it by telephone at least 2 days before Saturday (his baking day) and get it delivered very freshly by the public minibius in the late afternoon. In general I order 10 kg (~20 packages with 8-9 slices) and put them in the icebox of our fridge.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Go on then, I’ll bite. Let’s hear it. 

Related to this? https://www.self.com/story/whole-grains-antinutrients

Your article concedes that whole grains contain anti-nutrients, but then concludes that if you are getting sufficient vitamins and minerals, it's not a major issue.

It could be, I guess. The human body is so complex, so I will not say that I know for a fact that these anti-nutrients are not causing major problems. 

But you should at least keep track of how many foods with anti-nutrients you are consuming daily, and at some point realize that the math won't add up in your benefit. 

One guy referenced a study in which whole wheat bread and beans were consumed with oysters and very little or none of the zinc from the oysters was absorbed. (but don't quote me on that ...)

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not seeing any negatives with bread flour, though it does act as a conveyence of the unhealthy stuff you might put on it.

"Nutrition

Bread flour is a significant source of nutrition. It offers energy, protein and nutrients that are either inherent or added during processing. Bread flour is low in cholesterol and saturated fatty acids.

1 cup / 120 grams, contains:

• Calories:  455
  • Carbohydrates: 95.3 g
  • Protein: 12.91 g
  • Fat: 1.22 g
  • Fiber
  • Vitamins (thaimin, folate, selenium,   )"

What is the difference between All Purpose, Bread and Cake flours please?

They cannot be 'BAD' for you as they are basically wholemeal flour with things taken out, so not quite as 'GOOD' for you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bbko said:

How much interaction do you need to walk in, get the item(s) you want and pay for them?

To start the day with her toxic attitude is not for me. 

I do understand that there are those of you who enjoy and thrive on this toxicity but I steer clear. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1