Is It Really Cheaper In The Sticks?

LaosLover

On 9/17/2023 at 10:33 AM, captainjackS said:

exactly.   woman+house can make a huge difference compared to renting a condo / apartment in the city.

Doesn't a GF budget line item come with country living?

Is anyone out there in the hinterlands (not sticks) living solo?

On 9/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It is cheaper, absolutely.

depositphotos_9315310-stock-photo-hut-in

How about that one ? This is an original picture of my wifes first house. We then continually upgraded (as well in another place) to a 3 bed 3 bath pool villa in which we soon fully move in from a high rise condo directly at the sea. But below is in the "countryside".

House - Kopie.JPG

Edited by moogradod

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

How about that one ? This is an original picture of my wifes first house. We then continually upgraded (as well in another place) to a 3 bed 3 bath pool villa in which we soon fully move in from a high rise condo directly at the sea. But below is in the "countryside".

House - Kopie.JPG

I saw something like that when my girlfriend asked me to visit her village many years ago.

I was shocked. I don't remember much more from that visit.

Now we both live in a high-rise condo in Bangkok. No mosquitos, no family nearby, no village life. ???? 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw something like that when my girlfriend asked me to visit her village many years ago.

I was shocked. I don't remember much more from that visit.

Now we both live in a high-rise condo in Bangkok. No mosquitos, no family nearby, no village life. ???? 

I guess there are more like me in my aircon room in rural Isaan watching TV, on the internet, thinking ok no problem, believe what makes you guys happy ????

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It is absolutely so much cheaper.

Mostly from space and amenities to comfortably cook for yourself, grow your own <deleted>, build your own <deleted>, maintain and repair your own <deleted> (vehicles etc). That being said, if you're not willing to put down for a house and some land and not willing to be proactive with almost everything, then it's not for you.

When you're ready for that managing personal finances and cutting costs will be much easier, also less temptations around here. I cook 90% of my own foods, do all my bike repair and maintenance myself, grow a bunch of fruit, herbs, veggies on site. Whatever we don't have at home is extremely cheap in local fresh markets and they are actually fresh.  I live around 7k from Udon Thani city, and even in town restaurants, coffee shops, gyms, bars are half price from larger cities. 

I make roughly 100k a month and living in Bangkok I had 10k to save monthly, in Pattaya maybe 20k and in Udon Thani I don't spend much more than 50k on everything. 

Some words to end this with, while many basic necessities are somewhat cheaper, moving to "the sticks" makes you change your perspective and lifestyle to be less reliant on outside services = lower cost of living, increased value. 

3 minutes ago, artotle said:

It is absolutely so much cheaper.

Mostly from space and amenities to comfortably cook for yourself, grow your own <deleted>, build your own <deleted>, maintain and repair your own <deleted> (vehicles etc). That being said, if you're not willing to put down for a house and some land and not willing to be proactive with almost everything, then it's not for you.

When you're ready for that managing personal finances and cutting costs will be much easier, also less temptations around here. I cook 90% of my own foods, do all my bike repair and maintenance myself, grow a bunch of fruit, herbs, veggies on site. Whatever we don't have at home is extremely cheap in local fresh markets and they are actually fresh.  I live around 7k from Udon Thani city, and even in town restaurants, coffee shops, gyms, bars are half price from larger cities. 

I make roughly 100k a month and living in Bangkok I had 10k to save monthly, in Pattaya maybe 20k and in Udon Thani I don't spend much more than 50k on everything. 

Some words to end this with, while many basic necessities are somewhat cheaper, moving to "the sticks" makes you change your perspective and lifestyle to be less reliant on outside services = lower cost of living, increased value. 

If you bought a house and land and grow much of your own food and repair your own motorbikes , what do you spend 50 000 Baht a month on ?

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you bought a house and land and grow much of your own food and repair your own motorbikes , what do you spend 50 000 Baht a month on ?

I'm a sole provider for a family of four, two dogs and a cat. Bills, schools, groceries and shopping, gym memberships, hobbies, other activities.