Second hand car import / lift of ban

On 9/17/2023 at 6:53 PM, Ralf001 said:

They still come in  though.

Friend imported his Lamborghini Huracan GT3 in July.

If your friend can afford a Lamborghini Huracan GT3, he can afford to pay however much they asked to allow him to breach Thailand's prohibition on importing a used car.

"Personal used car imports into Thailand have been prohibited since 2019."
 "Not true..."
"Gawd...what are you talking about?  Thailand has not permitted the import of used cars since 2019, it's just ridiculous that you say that is not true."
"Your interpretation of my comments is unfortunate.  If there is anything inaccurate in my comments on this thread, please point them out, specifically, then your interpretation may have some validity."

Lou is correct.

If government say something it is so. It ain't happening. Need a proof? Here;

"Since the 1960, prostitution is illegal and criminally prosecutable with prison sentences of up to 20 years."

• Love It 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2023 at 5:20 AM, XJPSX said:

Why would they. It is within Thailand’s (not the consumers) best interest to ensure a majority on the cars on the road are made in Thailand.
Years ago the government’s initiative was to be the most successful car manufacturer in Asia and incentivised the Eastern Seaboard region.

The govt wants 100% of cars on the road to be made in Thailand and if you want to opt against a local purchase they have set duties on imports accordingly.

I paid 50% more for my imported car than what I can buy it for in my home country, but that’s my choice.

Maybe not a good one !

Countries like Africa should capitalise on the used Japan market but often countries like this are too corrupt to even facilitate such a process.

I have a friend that imported a Ford Mustang and never cleared it as the red tape and fees were 3 times the value of the car. My guess is that it is sitting in a Thai’s muscle car collection somewhere

I bought a blue Mustang in Bangkok last year. It RH drive and was imported from the UK. Triple the price of the cost in UK, Aussie, or USA. Maybe it’s your friends abandoned car 😁

one obvious loophole seen in public so far, 

Seen earlier this year

The Prodrive P25, a 'restomod' Subaru from 1998 was imported from the UK and sold for 55M Baht, because in the UK it was registered as small volume 'new' car or Kit car equivalent, and Thailand is OK with that since it's a 'new' car 

So if you can set up a shell company in the UK and provide sufficient paper that the car is 'new' you can import them into Thailand 

9 minutes ago, digbeth said:

one obvious loophole seen in public so far, 

Seen earlier this year

The Prodrive P25, a 'restomod' Subaru from 1998 was imported from the UK and sold for 55M Baht, because in the UK it was registered as small volume 'new' car or Kit car equivalent, and Thailand is OK with that since it's a 'new' car 

So if you can set up a shell company in the UK and provide sufficient paper that the car is 'new' you can import them into Thailand 

And set-up the company to import.

But using the same logic any full resto car should qualify... as this is all the P25 is.... a Restored car.

Edited by Ralf001