Second hand car import / lift of ban

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have twisted nothing, it just seems that there are a lot of posters who cannot read accurately!  Read my original comment on this subject which was a response to someone asking why Thailand (not individuals) doesn't import used cars from Japan.  

Expand  

Did that poster say, the Thailand government ?

Yes, he said Thailand and Thailand is a country with a government.  He made no reference to individuals....

"There are many fabulous, low milage, nearly new cars in Japan traded in for cents on the dollar. I have never understood why Thailand doesn't import these".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As for the rest, I see our resident hair-splitting pedant is already destroying the thread.

If you bothered to read retarius' comment properly, the comment to which I responded originally, you'd see that it is not me that is pedantically splitting hairs.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, retarius said:

There are many fabulous, low milage, nearly new cars in Japan traded in for cents on the dollar. I have never understood why Thailand doesn't import these.

For the record, that is the post to which I have been responding, the post that so many members cannot read.  From that post...

"...I have never understood why Thailand doesn't import these".

Neither Thailand, nor any other country, imports used cars. 

Individuals or companies may, subject to regulations.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps because Thailand doesn't permit used car imports and no governments, anywhere in the world, import used cars!   

Thailand also has a huge new Japanese car-building industry here.

Wrong. No problem to import used cars in many countries in Europe.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, XJPSX said:

Why would they. It is within Thailand’s (not the consumers) best interest to ensure a majority on the cars on the road are made in Thailand.
Years ago the government’s initiative was to be the most successful car manufacturer in Asia and incentivised the Eastern Seaboard region.

The govt wants 100% of cars on the road to be made in Thailand and if you want to opt against a local purchase they have set duties on imports accordingly.

I paid 50% more for my imported car than what I can buy it for in my home country, but that’s my choice.

Maybe not a good one !

Countries like Africa should capitalise on the used Japan market but often countries like this are too corrupt to even facilitate such a process.

I have a friend that imported a Ford Mustang and never cleared it as the red tape and fees were 3 times the value of the car. My guess is that it is sitting in a Thai’s muscle car collection somewhere

XJ> As an example I have a friend who restores vintage HDs.He was contacted to restore a mid 1920s classic. Quite rare in LOS. Covid and various other reasons prevented completion.Guess who the Thai owner was? A retired customs officer.My friend was at his residence and he had a couple of buildings chock full of vintage collectable stuff.No doubt in my mind he acquired this loot by similar circumstances as your Mustang friend was victim to. I've heard of many tales over the years of people just abandoning their possessions at customs due to red tape and prohibitive arbitrary duties and no recourse.     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, doosyhindleg said:

No

Buy one here.

I've owned a couple of HDs here over the years.I've been asked a dozen times by someone with a special model they would like to import. Standard answer is "don't even bother" unless you know someone who actually works for/at customs.

It just isn't worth the hassle.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I don't know about Australia but in order to import a car into the USA there are some serious restrictions that must be met first... including but not limited to EPA, road worthiness, safety regulations (ie. bumper height for one)... so it is not certainly they can be imported.

So one cannot import an off road vehicle into the USA ?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you seriously saying that the Myanmar government imports used cars.  Which Myanmar government agency has that responsibility, is there a Used Car Ministry?

IF you noticed I put the word 'Believe' in inverted commas. In other words, I was not sure. However, when visiting in 2019 I questioned the drive of the taxi as to the reason for many of the cars being both left and right hand drive. His answer was that as Myanmar does not manufacture cars they import from other countries, some of which are second hand. So, I was not giving a definitive answer.  

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

IF you noticed I put the word 'Believe' in inverted commas. In other words, I was not sure. However, when visiting in 2019 I questioned the drive of the taxi as to the reason for many of the cars being both left and right hand drive. His answer was that as Myanmar does not manufacture cars they import from other countries, some of which are second hand. So, I was not giving a definitive answer.  

The government does not import them, though I assume citizens or car dealers can..????

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As usual, your opinion of my posts is inconsequential.

Please stick to my original ask. I am not interested in import to other countries, I want to know why the Thai government created the ban, and why it is so difficult to lift it again. 

I read 'linked to wealthy few and corruption" which i also knew, but now there is a new government, don't we expect anything will change ? And are there no forces from those waiting for the ban to be lifted, to bring this topic on the agenda ?

3 hours ago, Deli said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps because Thailand doesn't permit used car imports and no governments, anywhere in the world, import used cars!   

Thailand also has a huge new Japanese car-building industry here.

Wrong. No problem to import used cars in many countries in Europe.

Another one who cannot read!  Thailand does not permit used car imports and no countries or governments IMPORT used cars.   They may permit the import of those vehicles but no countries/governments in Europe actually import used vehicles as a government initiative.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, oustaristocrats said:

And are there no forces from those waiting for the ban to be lifted, to bring this topic on the agenda ?

No, there don't appear to be.  By using the word "waiting" you're suggesting that used car imports are going to be allowed...what makes you think that?   You're going to have a long wait!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have twisted nothing, it just seems that there are a lot of posters who cannot read accurately!  Read my original comment on this subject which was a response to someone asking why Thailand (not individuals) doesn't import used cars from Japan.  

I think you misinterpreted the original statement/question. In my interpretation the poster meant Thailand as in private businesses, dealerships, private individuals, in the sense that it is made easier, facilitated or encouraged, incurs lower import taxes etc. Those are, of course, government policy decisions. I don't think anyone was equating the word Thailand exclusivelywith the government of Thailand. As to the government and its agencies, of course they wouldn't engage in the importation of used vehicles since they almost certainly get better deals on new cars from the local production. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Surasak said:

Myanmar has a history of changing over from the British system to the American/continental European system, so there would be a range of lhd and rhd vehicles in the country, both legal. So I don't think there is any connection in that regard to any car importation regulation of whatever kind.

5 hours ago, oustaristocrats said:

Please stick to my original ask. I am not interested in import to other countries, I want to know why the Thai government created the ban, and why it is so difficult to lift it again. 

I read 'linked to wealthy few and corruption" which i also knew, but now there is a new government, don't we expect anything will change ? And are there no forces from those waiting for the ban to be lifted, to bring this topic on the agenda ?

Thailand essentially prohibits or discourages (enormous import duties) any vehicle importation to protect its own industry. That seems plausible for products that are produced entirely or assembled here. However, vehicles that are not made here therefore don't qualify for any tarif protection and should be allowed to be imported at a reasonable customs duty, not at the extortionate rates applied these days. A classic example is the high in demand Suzuku Jimny which is not produced here and not imported officially by Suzuki, leaving only a few select grey imports selling for just under 2mb. That is ridiculous. I don't think there is any similar product manufactured in Thailand benefiting indirectly from such tarif protection. One could buy it in S Africa, Japan, Australia or Malaysia, but the tarifs just don't make it worth the effort.

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, Umlungu said:

Thailand essentially prohibits or discourages (enormous import duties) any vehicle importation to protect its own industry. That seems plausible for products that are produced entirely or assembled here. However, vehicles that are not made here therefore don't qualify for any tarif protection and should be allowed to be imported at a reasonable customs duty, not at the extortionate rates applied these days. A classic example is the high in demand Suzuku Jimny which is not produced here and not imported officially by Suzuki, leaving only a few select grey imports selling for just under 2mb. That is ridiculous. I don't think there is any similar product manufactured in Thailand benefiting indirectly from such tarif protection. One could buy it in S Africa, Japan, Australia or Malaysia, but the tarifs just don't make it worth the effort.

If they relax the law so that the private individual can import his Suzuki Jimny, it leaves the door open for the bulk importer to bring in hundreds of Suzuki Jimnys which would kill the well-connected 'grey marketeers' monopoly. They need to charge ridiculous prices so they can cover the costs of being allowed to remain 'grey' (if you know what I mean and I think you do).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Go on, then, which governments import used cars from overseas?

Nobody cares what you think, Lou, just keep it up. Laser targeting  on minor criticisms of what people post will ensure your submissions remain largely boring and uninformative.

It is true that there is no indication the ban on used care imports will be lifted.  

To the OP Just sell your stupid old Jaguar back in  Noteatinham and buy a car here.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Don't think that's true. I think Kim imported a few special MB's and I think some African countries did the same.

Well yes I sure this government imports 'special' cars and they pay no Tax on them either. but not for the general public, just the generals.