Second hand car import / lift of ban

12 hours ago, oustaristocrats said:

I am waiting to import my car already for many years since Prayut government raised a ban in 2014 on any 2nd hand car import. My car has right hand steering wheel, is ready to use and in Thailand I always have to rent an expensive car, very bad experiences post pandemic.

So my question in this forum. Do we expect Shretta will lift this car import ban soon ?  What are the forces behind the scenes which hold such lift, I mean which hurdles Mr Shretta has to take, or is it just his decision?

Call him and ask

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, steve187 said:

and Australia and USA

I don't know about Australia but in order to import a car into the USA there are some serious restrictions that must be met first... including but not limited to EPA, road worthiness, safety regulations (ie. bumper height for one)... so it is not certainly they can be imported.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps because Thailand doesn't permit used car imports and no governments, anywhere in the world, import used cars!   

Thailand also has a huge new Japanese car-building industry here.

The German auto industry depends on the export of used cars around the world .

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps because Thailand doesn't permit used car imports and no governments, anywhere in the world, import used cars!   

Take a look at Myanmar pre coup. They don't have a car making industry and import cars of either left or right hand drive and I 'believe' some are S/H

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, oustaristocrats said:

I am waiting to import my car already for many years since Prayut government raised a ban in 2014 on any 2nd hand car import. My car has right hand steering wheel, is ready to use and in Thailand I always have to rent an expensive car, very bad experiences post pandemic.

So my question in this forum. Do we expect Shretta will lift this car import ban soon ?  What are the forces behind the scenes which hold such lift, I mean which hurdles Mr Shretta has to take, or is it just his decision?

why would you think he would something there that he is any different from the past. Maybe he can strike the import tax on all foreign goods too. 

I'm going to be PM one day,  I hold no stocks or shares in any media company. I'm going to kiss alot of Thai ass Senate, make deals, promising to get in, first day in office I'm getting on soap box with media and <deleted> government,  military, every Senator, MP,  out of office and start new guess what not going to happen in a few days they be cremating  my body saying I had a massive heart attack the official making the announcement will of course do it with a nice haircut freshly dyed and life with go on as I never existed.  Don't hold your breath.????

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I don't know about Australia but in order to import a car into the USA there are some serious restrictions that must be met first... including but not limited to EPA, road worthiness, safety regulations (ie. bumper height for one)... so it is not certainly they can be imported.

Cars can be imported if there's a sticker in the engine room;

"This vehicle meets California Smog Regulations". Switzerland is one of the countries which use CA specs. CA specs are the toughest in the world.

Then there are DOT rules for 1975 - up cars. Bumpers, safety belts, color of signal lights, etc.

All can be imported for "Off road use only". What happen then is anybody's guess...

I did this back 'n forth for years. Sure, a big head ache but I took it as my "protection" against other importers/exporters.

Some countries were even tougher, like Ecuador and Peru, which had total ban on imports.

I had cut a perfect car in two pieces and ship as "spare parts". Then they welded back to a complete car.

AUS is an other tough place. They have special shops to change LHD to RHD.

Thailand has very high taxes and many rules. I had customers who wanted Corvettes but too much head ache for me. I passed getting into it.

If you are interested in imported special cars go to meetings.

Many cool cars in Thailand and how they got them is often fascinating (if they tell....)

https://www.classic-car-friends-pattaya.com/

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, itsari said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

The German auto industry depends on the export of used cars around the world .

In my comment that you responded to I posted that no governments import used cars into their countries, your response was that Germany auto industry depends on the export of used cars.  What's the connection? 

Are you trying to say that the German government exports used cars?  If so which German governmental agency is responsible for exporting those cars?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Surasak said:

Take a look at Myanmar pre coup. They don't have a car making industry and import cars of either left or right hand drive and I 'believe' some are S/H

Are you seriously saying that the Myanmar government imports used cars.  Which Myanmar government agency has that responsibility, is there a Used Car Ministry?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1