Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

11 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Maybe indicate that, as per several people reports, getting a TIN and being able to file a tax return is not 100% granted and at local TRD discretion.

I have added the following to para 77:

There have been several reports from members who have been refused a TIN. In order to obtain a TIN, You will need to bring the following documentation:

a) Completed LP 10.1 form, available at the tax office

b) Valid passport and visa (วีซ่า)

c) Proof of address (e.g., a rental agreement, yellow tabien baan (ทะเบียนบ้าน), or residency certificate from the immigration office)

d) Employment contract (สัญญาจ้างงาน) or proof that you have tax liability in Thailand (e.g., proof of financial transactions)

If you continue to have problems obtaining a TIN, the Revenue Department Help Line number is 02 272 8000 and they will be able to assist you.

https://www.expatica.com/th/civil/administration/tax-id-thailand-2172861/#apply

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well if non filing is a crime then well over half the entire Thai population need to be put in Jail.....

that is illogical, Captain Kirk. do you drive like some Thais do?

• Thumbs Up 1

My Canadian bank sent me a form to complete including info about my TIN. Now that is something I'll have to put down to short term memory loss. I'm wondering, do US citizens get asked for the same info. I know that there's a form which you have to complete for investment brokers here, which asks you  to confirm that you are not a US citizen. Just curious.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yumthai said:

Maybe indicate that, as per several people reports, getting a TIN and being able to file a tax return is not 100% granted and at local TRD discretion.

Anyone who wants a TIN and is refused one face to face should ask the official to put that in writing or film him or her saying that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I think many expats who earn less that the taxable amount will be very daunted by filing tax returns and won't bother and I can't blame them.  I doubt that they will be pursued by the RD and fined.  In future, however, it is possible that Immigration will link up the RD and demand tax returns for visa renewal but there has been no talk of that yet.

That is the one reason why Expats would have to definitely file a tax return. Hopefully, that change will not take place for 2-3 years, and judging how slowly things change in Thailand I would say that is a likely timeframe.  One thing I do know, Immigration will provide all the details and instructions to all their Officers on such a change - whether they will listen or imnplement them correctly is another matter altogether.  

14 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I got my Thai tax ID in CM at the revenue office in Nong Hoi in '21.  I am on retirement extensions so I don't have a work permit.

I tried to open an SCB high interest savings account and the bank staff got hung up while opening the account.  I asked them "if I get a tax ID can you open the account?".  They said yes.  The next day I took a residence certificate (I think I used an expired one!), a Bangkok bank passbook and my passport to TRD and got my tax ID in under 30 minutes.  The staff didn't raise any issue at all.

glad you did, but you are in CM... we are in Thailand, unfortunately here each province has its own standards

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Anyone who wants a TIN and is refused one face to face should ask the official to put that in writing or film him or her saying that.

Challenging Thai authority is hit-and-miss, either you get a positive outcome or get into deeper trouble.

Better deal with another officer/come back another day/try another TRD office.

If outcome is still negative the good news is you don't have to pay tax.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

One very unusual and unexpected benefit of filing a tax return is that UOB was willing to accept a copy of mine, as my proof of address, whilst opening a new account, which negated the need to obtain a residency cert. from Immi. Mind you, these were the same people who accepted my Cumbria bus pass as proof of my UK ID!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

A new para for the Introduction of the document, for comment if desired:

4) This document looks at the tax laws and related rules that exist but does not attempt to understand the degree to which they are always uniformly followed or enforced. Often in Thailand, laws are enacted, utilised, but then become dormant for long periods before being brought back into service again, the TM30 rule is one such example. It is virtually impossible for us to understand the degree to which any particular tax rule is enforced uniformly, nationwide, or when a particular law might next be activated once again. For example, we are aware that penalties exist for not filing a tax return where the income threshold has been exceeded but no tax is due. We think it is unlikely that this rule is enforced and that many people if any are fined but we cannot be certain. Readers must therefore assess their own willingness to accept the risk of not following a particular seemingly dormant or unenforced rule, that might suddenly one day be fully utilised once again, without notice.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, 4myr said:

Here an update of my discovery of what the new tax rules should be.

I consulted TRD call center [1161 or 1111], Dutch tax experts and a new expat tax filing service company, with an excellent Q&A database.

Case: In 2024 I am tax resident, and I earn 2M baht.

In 2025, I am not tax resident, and I transfer the 2M baht, which was earned in 2024.

Q1 - do I need to file tax for 2025? Answers: CC 1161 - yes | CC 1111 - no | expat filing service - no

Q2 - do I need to pay tax for 2025? Answers: CC 1161 - yes | CC 1111 - no | expat filing service - no

CC 1161 answers in accordance to FAQ question #1. What matters is whether the income was earned in a year that you were tax resident. If yes, then you need to file tax, even though you were not tax resident in the year you transferred the income.

Double tax agreement [DTA] Netherlands.

There are exemptions listed in clause 23.5, for which these income types are not taxable in Thailand. For example, capital gains on property in NL [14.1]. And director fees [16.2]

Answer CC 1161: cannot answer. I am not a lawyer. 

Answer tax office: not exempted, only tax credit can be applied.

Answer DTA expert: exempted, however [also stated in DTA 23.5], if you transfer other income sources in the same tax year that you transfer the exempted income [e.g. profit of the property], these other income sources will be put in a higher tax bracket. The tax bracket is calculated as if the profit is not being exempted. Bottom line - only transfer the profit then you don't need to pay tax

The DTA also states/limits the tax credits that are allowed. For the NL DTA these are clauses 23.6 and 23.7.

Answer tax office: payroll tax paid in NL, can be used as tax credit

Answer DTA expert: Payroll tax is not stated in 23.6 or 23.7, so it cannot be used as tax credit

I'm with the CC on that first point in bold/underlined. The issue of whether or not you are Thai tax resident when the funds were earned is equally as important as your tax residency status when the funds were remitted, I think. Not being tax resident when the funds were remitted is not the end of the game and I never believed it was.  This remains WIP

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

A new para for the Introduction of the document, for comment if desired:

Nice. Tamps down the fear mongering that the uninitiated newbie might experience. Maybe you could equally mitigate the chance of this ever happening:

33) Failure to file a tax return where the income threshold has been exceeded but no tax is due, can result in a fine of THB 2,000.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm with the CC on that first point in bold/underlined. The issue of whether or not you are Thai tax resident when the funds were earned is equally as important as your tax residency status when the funds were remitted, I think. Not being tax resident when the funds were remitted is not the end of the game and I never believed it was.  This remains WIP

Cannot disagree with that - it is clearly a WIP issue as is IMO many things within the guide.  But until TRD provide a clarification on this specific matter (and many others), then IMO everyone should take the aproach that minimises their tax obligations.  As shown by the recent post where severeal TRD sources were asked questions and gave different answers, TRD do not have any certainty arounbd the details and complications of taxing incoming remittances.  Eg. If you were to ask Somchai in your local TRD 'is this taxable?' then IMO he is likely to say Yes - even though under the strict interpretation of the rules it might not be taxable.   

Taxation advice is good when it is advising how to avoid, minimise or reduce taxation through legal means.  The standard rule of law regarding taxation rules and regulations in western countries, is that many scenarios over many deacdes are examined and ruled upon and published, and that process is ongoing, extremely rigorous and controlled.  This is not the case in Thailand - this is a country where it is always best to 'go with the flow' rather than try to self-determine and rigidly adhere to the rules and regulations that TRD themselves are inconsitent and uncertain.  IMO any decision on whether an action should be undertaken to avoid taxation, should be done so on the basis that if it has not been specifically excluded by a TRD directive or clarification, then it is tax avoidance (legal) and it is not tax evasion (illegal).

1 hour ago, 4myr said:

Case: In 2024 I am tax resident, and I earn 2M baht.

In 2025, I am not tax resident, and I transfer the 2M baht, which was earned in 2024.

Q1 - do I need to file tax for 2025?

Answers: CC 1161 - yes | CC 1111 - no | expat filing service - no | Prachuap office - no

So, CC 1161 said yes, but CC 1111 said no. Also, the expat filing service said no, and Prachuap said no.

So, that really clears that issue up, NOT.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

So, CC 1161 said yes, but CC 1111 said no. Also, the expat filing service said no, and Prachuap said no.

So, that really clears that issue up, NOT.

because CC 1161 is in line with a written FAQ question 1 from TRD [only in Thai language available], I have to agree reluctantly with CC 1161.

On the other hand the owner of the expat tax filing service company has very good contact with TRD people in Bangkok. I can't understand why he is wrong in this:

"If you are in Thailand for under 180 days per calendar year, you are a non-tax resident and you do not have to file a Thai tax return for foreign-sourced income. If you have income within Thailand, you may need to still file a return."

Above is in line with  https://www.rd.go.th/english/6045.html - "A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.” However this statement is more generic than the specific FAQ question 1 case.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 20.41.52.png

• Agree 1

I have returned a previous point to the list of unknowns because there are too many mixed messages regarding what is the correct answer:

P) - Returned to the list: The issue of whether income earned in a year when tax resident but remitted to Thailand in a year when not tax resident………….is it taxable? Many contradictory reports on this, even from within TRD and tax consultants themselves.

10 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

179 days + 5 seconds = 180 days....you're tax resident.

Where does the 180 days come from, are you sure it's not 1/2 a calander year, ie 182.5 days?

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Where does the 180 days come from, are you sure it's not 1/2 a calander year, ie 182.5 days?

Yes I'm certain, it comes from the TRD. NO country in the world uses 182.5 days to determine tax residency although some do use 183!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes I'm certain, it comes from the TRD. NO country in the world uses 182.5 days to determine tax residency although some do use 183!

Yes, i understand that.

I know guys that do the '90 day rule' to avoid UK tax and every day counts, so it's 180 days here, that's confirmed, right?

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Yes, i understand that.

I know guys that do the '90 day rule' to avoid UK tax and every day counts, so it's 180 days here, that's confirmed, right?

Yes I'm certain,  it's confirmed, I swear on the bible!

The UK residency system is different because it uses a system of ties to determine tax residency. 90 days is only useful under certain circumstances and is only one small part of that picture.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/international/residence-and-domicile/uk-tax-residence/statutory-residence-test#:~:text=Broadly they are as follows,which you should also consider).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Yes, i understand that.

UK is being present at the end of the day. 183 days is the obvious one then it goes down various levels. Tax resident in one or both of the previous two tax years, >90 days and stay in your own property for one day 6th April to 5th April could do it! 

Thailand is any second , of a day to count. "180 Days or more" in a Calendar Year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4myr said:

because CC 1161 is in line with a written FAQ question 1 from TRD [only in Thai language available], I have to agree reluctantly with CC 1161.

On the other hand the owner of the expat tax filing service company has very good contact with TRD people in Bangkok. I can't understand why he is wrong in this:

"If you are in Thailand for under 180 days per calendar year, you are a non-tax resident and you do not have to file a Thai tax return for foreign-sourced income. If you have income within Thailand, you may need to still file a return."

Above is in line with  https://www.rd.go.th/english/6045.html - "A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.” However this statement is more generic than the specific FAQ question 1 case.

https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/user_upload/lorkhor/newspr/2024/FOREIGNERS_PAY_TAX2024.pdf

Foreign-sourced income
If a foreigner derives income from sources outside Thailand, such income is subject to income tax if the two following conditions are met:
- such income has been earned in any tax year starting from 1 January 2024 onward by a foreigner who stays in Thailand for 180 days or more in a tax (calendar) year, and;
- such income earned has been remitted to Thailand (wholly or partially), even if that remittance occurs in a later tax year.

The second condition does not precise what the individual tax residency status is (or has to be) when the remittance occurs.

Either it is interpreted like CC 1161 i.e.: tax residence does not matter, then this will override the current law stating "A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.",

OR

it is interpreted like the tax filing service company, CC 1111, and Prachuap i.e.: Thai tax residence is implied when the remittance occurs, matching with the current law stating "A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand."

Choose your side, I vote for the majority.

• Thumbs Up 1