Brake failure leads to crane lorry crash into Nakhon Sawan shops

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

he discovered that he was unable to control the vehicle due to a sudden failure of the vehicle’s air system, which controls the brakes and transmission.

Failure of the air system would put the brakes ON and the audio low pressure and gauges would tell you air pressure has dropped, (both of which are never tested, when I have witnessed HGV testing here.

.  The Air pressure keeps the brakes off!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quake said:

Or is it only the parking brake side that works like that ?

No both work like that, but he also said transmission failure which could mean an air clutch fail, thus changing gear would be impossible. That's what gauges and alarms are for.

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No both work like that, but he also said transmission failure which could mean an air clutch fail, thus changing gear would be impossible. That's what gauges and alarms are for.

So his basically telling pork pies.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Upon reaching the accident site, he discovered that he was unable to control the vehicle due to a sudden failure of the vehicle’s air system, which controls the brakes and transmission.

If the air system fails brakes are automatically applied.

You need air pressure to release them?

Unless the system has been tampered with?

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

In my 37 years as a truck mechanic I can't recall a truck accident with loss of air pressure causing an accident. In the event of a total lack of air pressure the brakes are actuated. But this is Thailand and we know it is L.O.S.

the " Land of Stupid Excuses"

I couldn't agree more, but are you are assuming the crane had normal working brakes

Over sized brake drums from too much machining and worn brake shoes would send the rig down the road to oblivion such as here