Give your life a score out of 10 in Thailand and last few years in farangland

sidjameson

We were very enthusiastic when we prepared to relocate. In fact it was mainly because of my wife and my bad health (not such a big span until the end, me and my doctors thought) and I wanted to save my wife the hassles.

Switzerland is actually a wonderful place to live with some specialities. But my wife has as well a big family here. They had to come together.

However for me the enhuiasm faded more and more. Then came COVID. No fun. More and more I noticed the huge problems this country poses to somebody to retire in. Today I would never recommend to anybody to relocate here. We more or less had to because of special circumstances and my wife is happy. That is all I wanted. I would not be too much sorry if I passed out forever today, but we take it as it comes. Mission accompished then.

For me (only my part): Switzerland: 10, Thailand 4.

I have to add we are marrried happily since 17 years.

Holidays OK. We cannot turn back the situation now and have to live with what comes and for my wife is the best.. Everywhere and everything has its dis- and advantages. Who likes cold winters ? Not me. And the food - I miss some things tremendously - especially for the price. You can alway quickly drive over to Germany to shop over there (that's that place where you get for example good bread - never seen again)

Edited by moogradod

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Life here is far far better in many aspects than the UK that's for sure. For me 8/10 here and the UK well, the UK I knew has long gone so doesnt even rate a number now, but 18 years ago, wouldve given it 5 at best.

Thanks, similar for me. I permanently left the UK 23 years ago, living first in Thailand for 20 years and now in Cambodia for 3 years. I am sure I would be lost in the UK these days. My only contact is with family who are still alive and my 3 pension companies to ensure the flow of cash into my bank account.

• Like 1

8/10 would be a good way to sum up my experiences currently as I split my time between the USA and Hua Hin... Travel often in both countries.. The current political environment is degrading the US and over time we will suffer for it.. Now not much impact beyond the silly inflation happening in the US.. Thailand is better overall for me and my Thai wife...