Thai Workers Are A Joke

The very fact that it is Homepro is why you get bad workmanship, their job is to sell products at a profit, any delivery, installation, remedial works are extras off their margins - you will not get quality or qualified workers at your service from the product supplier! 

If you hire proper services from a reputable construction company you will get a professional and attentive service, if you take the free service from product supplier then what you get is what you get!

I hate to be ethnicist, but here in south Surin, if we don't know anyone or family capable guy, we'll look for a Thai Chinese workman/supervisor ... We don't always find one but when we do the job done is invariably a whole lot better than the alternative and at reasonable price.

And that includes my once-every-5-years doctor.

32 minutes ago, The Theory said:

My tile lady had a big mouth and complained about frang.???? she told my gf "farang expect quality work and complain too much, but they don't know nothing about tiling" !!! I fired her while she was tiling shower floor unevenly  (she filled the shower drain by cement, I was lucky since the drain pipe under the house was not installed yet), after 6 months she was around and stopped by to see my work and admired that done professionally. 

Never let a tile lady who filled your drain with cement back into the home.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Extremely shoddy craftsmanship.

I've encountered countless instances.

One of them involved a sewage pipe leak, which resulted in a portion of my garden soil collapsing, creating a massive sinkhole.

They hadn't even connected the segments. I could not believe it.

Edited by CDG931
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You had a bad experience and claim ALL Thai workers are a joke. Incredible stupid conclusion as there are loads of very capable Thai workers and I know a lot of them.

I am pleased for you that you have found capable Thai workers . I have after 10 years found not one capable worker.

I found a floor tiler that was competent a few months ago but his problem was he would not turn up for days and then work one more day and again he would go missing . 

• Like 1

My friends and I have all had issues with workers. It often stems from not being willing to search more and seek recommendations. I wouldn't praise HomePro just because they are there. For the same reason that in India I will ask directions from at least three people, in Thailand I would ask at least three friends to recommend workers and ask questions about quality first.

19 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

This is Homepro.... Wouldn't you think the biggest company in Thailand that covers this industry would have done that work already?.. Meaning they vet the workers they send to install their goods.

Home pro had to install 2 kitchens to get one right with us. I now truly dread fixing anything here. Anyway good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

had a gaggenau glass induction cooktop break about a year ago at work because the engineer stood on it. They're not as strong as you think. They're good but gotta be careful

I'm not surprised that it broke.   Also I would not want to drop anything on it capable of scratching it for fear of it shattering.  Look at what shards from spark plug insulators can do to a car window.  On the other hand hundreds of thousands of thousands (maybe millions?) of hobs have been installed into countertops all over the world without issues.

5 hours ago, Bundooman said:

You too could be accused of the same problem. The OP is a foreigner. How and where would he look to find such people? Possibly his spoken Thai is poor or non-existent. So where does he look? He asks his Thai family or those around him. He is also unlikely to be able to check a workers past 'quality' work - how would he do that?

Your post makes me think that if you also took the time to think about workers in this country, you may even arrive at a different point of view yourself!.

I always get Mrs Jones to arrange for anything I need done, except where the motorbike is concerned, it works well all the time.

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

The very fact that it is Homepro is why you get bad workmanship, their job is to sell products at a profit, any delivery, installation, remedial works are extras off their margins

And why they would be extras off their margins, since the customer has to pay for the works on top of the product purchase.

Since HP is a big player in this segment, and a Thai professional company with many years experience, one would think they have the knowledge with where to find QUALIFIED workmen.

As it is obvious that this is not the case, maybe it's because qualified workmen in Thailand are as rare as hen's teeth.

4 hours ago, quake said:

Relax, you've been Somchai-ed

Monday        His  a Carpenter.

Tuesday       His a Roofer.

Wednesday His a Welder.

Thursday      His a  Ceramic Tiler.

Friday   1 hours of work then off drinking, but still wants paying  

Saturday      His a Electrician.

Sunday         His back to normal job, a Rice farmer.

It's ok, it happens to us all,  at some point over here.

we learn from it, well most of us do, :giggle:

Also, take no notice of the ones that Bs about.

( you get what you pay for ),  if only that was true here.

Good luck.

DIY is the best if you can. :thumbsup:

It's HE IS not HIS.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Just a lot of complainers again, with OP as the Top Dog. After 24 years in Thailand, I have never had a bad job done, and they have all cleaned up their mess after finished working. I guess it is up to us, as the people hire workers, to get the ones that actually do the job good.

The ones you claim to have had aren't the problem. Those the OP and others have written about are. My own experience is that most workers are untrained and have no professional qualifications at all. They learn on the job, if they learn at all, from others who also don't know what they're doing. Good workers are few and far between. Especially if you don't live in a city.

It is a fact that Thais have little or no pride in anything, be it the job they do or how they live, dumping their rubbish everywhere. To me, that is a very sad way to exist.

I'm lucky with some, as the aircon man and wife team used to work for a hotel in Bangkok before returning to the countryside, and an electrician we use, a family member, also used to work for a hotel in Bangkok. But even he makes use of insulating tape instead of making a secure connection.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BenStark said:

I have read many of your post Frits, and I really wonder if you live in a different Thailand, or in Thailand at all

I am fairly sure that you know all the bar stool stuff.

I work here for a multinational as a manager and have way more experience in these matters than you.

Started to come here 40 years ago and speak Thai. What about you?

• Sad 1

This is Thailand, where you as a foreigner, should  only spend in real estate, what you can afford to loose.

I know this couple who bought a brand new house in Hua Hin,  in which the entrance opening on the wall around the house was not aligned with the house, the upgrades paid were not done, cracks on many sides on the outside facade, and the electricity was full of short circuits with those fancy ceiling recessed bulbs that would fuse one after the other and never last more then a few weeks. 

Sounds hard to believe but unfortunately happens far to often, despite the exorbitant monthy common fees asked on the developpment.

Naturally the developpers or real estate agents who are usually farangs, do not always admit their miskates or amend, knowing fully well  that the foreign buyer would not want to enter costly or long court battles.

Best thing is to spread the news, safely and anonymously from abroad,  on social media, to avoid others getting caught in the Thai pool villa or condo mirage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

The very fact that it is Homepro is why you get bad workmanship, their job is to sell products at a profit, any delivery, installation, remedial works are extras off their margins - you will not get quality or qualified workers at your service from the product supplier! 

If you hire proper services from a reputable construction company you will get a professional and attentive service, if you take the free service from product supplier then what you get is what you get!

What about Bunthavon ? Any good ?

21 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

This is Homepro.... Wouldn't you think the biggest company in Thailand that covers this industry would have done that work already?.. Meaning they vet the workers they send to install their goods.

We bought a new toilet from Homepro in Bkk, had their guy to fit it. Too difficult he said, had argument for the wife and left. Got a refund and paid Cambodian to do the work, and a good job he did as well. 

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yeah, had to assist one of the people selling you a burger as you only had 1 thb coins but not enough for the burger. Then started yelling: "do you know who i am?" Had to get security to move you out of the premises.

Was that your best.

Keep flipping them burgers. me8.

You could be employee of the month soon.